Problems bleeding power steering (BAM TT)

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
After changing the gearbox on my mums TT (never again!), I'm having troubles bleeding the power steering.

First went to do the old all the way left/all the way right, it was ****** noisy and the PAS fluid started foaming up, so much so at one point it was over flowing! I've jacked it up to see if anything is leaking/loose, nothing obvious but if I'm honest one of the banjo bolts possibly wasn't quite as tight as it should be.

Tried again, although I thought there was enough fluid in there I noticed it was draining the reservoir when it was running and then filling it back up when I stopped, which suggests an air lock I suppose?

Fully topped it up now and it's still quite noisy on full lock (and even a little just when idling) and foaming up a bit. The front is in the air now so there's no real resistance when steering, so guessing it will be worse when it's on the ground!?

Pretty baffled by this one, anyone got any ideas?

I left mine over night after a rack change. I had the same issue as you but it bled fine the day after. Some suggest foamy fluid means theres a small leak in the system somewhere. Just fyi.

Yea, I'd left it over night 3 or 4 times now... Just tried again though and it does seem a bit better.

Perhaps just a mega air lock I suppose, not helped by the fact I hadn't realised it was low on fluid cos it kept coming back up into the reservoir!