Facelift THE NEW AUDI A3 (2016 FACELIFT) – STILL AHEAD OF THE CURVE

MU57ARD, either you're incredibly unlucky or I'm exceptionally lucky! Mine was down as build week 28, 11th July. It was in Quality Control by the first day of supposed build week and in Emden on the Tuesday. Only sat for a couple of days at the port and after getting a boat took 4 days to arrive (by yourAudi updates), even though sailing is about 1.5 days.

My car has now reached status 60 and on its way to Belfast. Dealer said I should be able to pick up either end of this month or beginning of next, which suits me fine as I'm not back from holidays until 28th

I hope your dealer is going to compensate you well for the delay you've suffered, I would be absolutely raging!
Yep I'd be asking for couple of free services

Just don't get cornering lights they were good on the 8P suck on the 8V (is it still a option on FL 8V?).

Saw FL S3; the back bumper looks really nasty and out of place though I imagine the extra 10 (well 20-30 in reality) horsees must feel good ^_^

Nasty in what way? When I saw it was grey on the configurator instead of black it did stand out so I decided to play it safe with Daytona grey as it would blend in more. Can always get it wrapped black if it isn't nice.

Also, still can't believe there aren't any photos of the FL S3 Sportback...

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
MU57ARD, either you're incredibly unlucky or I'm exceptionally lucky! Mine was down as build week 28, 11th July. It was in Quality Control by the first day of supposed build week and in Emden on the Tuesday. Only sat for a couple of days at the port and after getting a boat took 4 days to arrive (by yourAudi updates), even though sailing is about 1.5 days.

My car has now reached status 60 and on its way to Belfast. Dealer said I should be able to pick up either end of this month or beginning of next, which suits me fine as I'm not back from holidays until 28th

I hope your dealer is going to compensate you well for the delay you've suffered, I would be absolutely raging!

Unlucky is one way of describing it.

So here it goes - FL SB S Line Daytona Grey..

442269fe4c41e38cca6dbdc64aa03e44.jpg

841073777914fb240b17bcc6c7969134.jpg

7083e50ff1b18f9956101b208e60d465.jpg

73e79d254d46460b32d67c49b569de50.jpg

9113239a9727bb9334455c62ad12e1dc.jpg

4cddde01881d0e8fd2f68fa5881886f7.jpg

eff7721e5b9ab5069cd0bb62d929cf72.jpg

cff941a80a2e620c2faee3487c94b14a.jpg

0f095c951d2b222bf9cfc6bca3fd8e99.jpg

624224f7d403aeb8428d4a89d3c58f43.jpg

9887efb35750ff3dff338b04a121487d.jpg

02f7200382807a4886f89e47e263877f.jpg

Lovely car if you ask me, much nicer in real life and the pictures don't do it justice... Interesting to note that on both models they had; x1 S Line and x1 SE in the showroom they both had the silver Audi badge on the dashboard, as seen above.. Typically this was reserved for Quattro models only.

Neither car had the thin LED band around the door trims so I would say this pretty much confirms that this is part of the Light Design trims which is an extra £200.

Other than that, bit of a disappointing visit, only two cars of which the S Line was a demo car and I only had 5 mins to take those pictures before it was off out, both cars were also locked and neither had VC so I didn't get any interior shots as not much else is different vs the pFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couldn't you have taken a few more photos lol - seriously they are the best photos I have seen so far. I have managed to sit in a few FL's in the last few days or so - mostly sline or sport - all have had the audi badge on dashboard (looks a bit cheap in my opinion!) and most seem to have several options such as storage pack, reversing sensors, heated seats etc. Surprised to see Hankook tyres on a premium car - wonder if some of these things are costcutting measures linked to the emissions scandal but there again they did increase the base spec on the FL!

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
Cheers for the heads up on the all weather lights. In regards to the LED band - I actually thought that myself about 15 mins ago after looking at a video on YouTube where it shows a FL SB S line with the exact same trim options as the one I saw today, that had it and the one in Warrington didn't.. I hope your right lol

Yeah i noticed that as well. If they are part of the interior light package, what the heck are the light design inlays? I would say when you go in today to ask the salesman, but from past experience (especially with the FL A3) us anoraks know more about it than they do!

Reactions: pburv and CrypticMG
Hi,

New member here so be nice...

Looking forward to see your pics of FL S3 SB's, still quite a wait ahead for me but a few pics should ease the pain!

Does anyone know if the spec build on 'myaudi' is correct, its showing electric/memory seats on the drivers? Just thought it was heated?

Does anyone know if the spec build on 'myaudi' is correct, its showing electric/memory seats on the drivers? Just thought it was heated?

No, the site just has a few glitches. Mine shows electric seats too which I haven't specced (I don't even have heated seats) and I've been told this is an error and will not be on the car (shame!), collecting next Friday so will know for sure then, if it does have it then a nice bonus but I'm not expecting it!

Other people have mentioned some of their ordered items (eg magride) are missing from yourAudi as well, but they are shown in the options codes in the back-end so should be ok. The site is far from perfect, between these missing/extra options and several spelling mistakes (sterring wheel, luggage comnpartment), but for all its flaws I still think it's good to have it!

No, the site just has a few glitches. Mine shows electric seats too which I haven't specced (I don't even have heated seats) and I've been told this is an error and will not be on the car (shame!), collecting next Friday so will know for sure then, if it does have it then a nice bonus but I'm not expecting it!

Other people have mentioned some of their ordered items (eg magride) are missing from yourAudi as well, but they are shown in the options codes in the back-end so should be ok. The site is far from perfect, between these missing/extra options and several spelling mistakes (sterring wheel, luggage comnpartment), but for all its flaws I still think it's good to have it!

Ahh I see, thought it may have been an upgrade on the S3 seats, hey ho!

The order tracker is great, saves me having to contact the dealership, not too impressed with Inchcape, been used to a non franchised Merc dealer for the last four years.

Has anyone seen a review of the FL S3 Saloon on Youtube? I'm a little concerned about the comments re the lag when booting it, he actually got a response from the Audi techs who say its just "feels" slower when it needs to drop gears subsequently opening two clutches to do so, feels slower but Is actually quicker?? Have a mooch, a little over my head I'm afraid but I was very impressed with the Auto box in the PFL, just hoping they haven't over engineered it hehe!

Last edited:
Ahh I see, thought it may have been an upgrade on the S3 seats, hey ho!

The order tracker is great, saves me having to contact the dealership, not too impressed with Inchcape, been used to a non franchised Merc dealer for the last four years.

I hoped it was an upgrade too, but the dealer seems to think not. Who knows though, early renderings in the configurator had a black rear diffuser and chrome trim on the front (fake) air intakes, the trim later disappeared and the diffuser turned to silver/grey and the dealer had no idea it had changed, or which version was correct, so for all we know it could still turn up with electric seats!

Maybe someone out there who's actually got their car already and had electric seats showing on yourAudi without them being part of their spec can let us know if the car had them or not?!

couldn't you have taken a few more photos lol - seriously they are the best photos I have seen so far. I have managed to sit in a few FL's in the last few days or so - mostly sline or sport - all have had the audi badge on dashboard (looks a bit cheap in my opinion!) and most seem to have several options such as storage pack, reversing sensors, heated seats etc. Surprised to see Hankook tyres on a premium car - wonder if some of these things are costcutting measures linked to the emissions scandal but there again they did increase the base spec on the FL!
Audi have been fitting Hankook tyres to A3s for quite a while. My March 2012 A3 came with them and I was very pleased with them. Good performance and one of the quietest tyres I had on an A3. Most German tyre comparison reviews rate them highly.

Audi have been fitting Hankook tyres to A3s for quite a while. My March 2012 A3 came with them and I was very pleased with them. Good performance and one of the quietest tyres I had on an A3. Most German tyre comparison reviews rate them highly.

Most TT/TTS with 19" alloys come with them as well,one good reason to jump to 20"s on a TTS at least you get Bridgestone or pirelli,Hankook/South Korean are horrible looking tyres and don't belong on a German built car full stop and yeah it is a cost cutting measure.

I think tyre manufacturer is just the luck of the draw and depends on what the factory is using at any particular time. My TT has Bridgestone's but earlier cars had Hankook as well as later cars.

I think tyre manufacturer is just the luck of the draw and depends on what the factory is using at any particular time. My TT has Bridgestone's but earlier cars had Hankook as well as later cars.

What size of wheel does it have,most 19" wheels on the TT have korean tyres cheap junk

Hankook tyres on my TT.
They are pretty good actually, good grip and quiet.
Test will come when they've got a few miles under their belt, but so far no complaints.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Gordo77
What size of wheel does it have,most 19" wheels on the TT have korean tyres cheap junk

Yip, 19" wheels. There was a discussion on the TT forum about this recently, with a few people miffed that they were getting the car with Hankooks.

You are right about the 20" wheels, only seems to be one manufacturer of tyres when spec'd on a TT, and they can be difficult to get hold of. Ridiculously low profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crewe Audi didn't have the FL in. Will make a trip to Cheshire Oaks tomorrow if they have one

Reactions: Gordo77 and gripross
Your right. My current A3 2.0-184 TDI came with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres and my previous A3 2.0-170 TDI came with Hankook Ventus S1. Both quite acceptable from a grip point of view and both very quiet compare with some others I've had.

Reactions: Gordo77
Yip, 19" wheels. There was a discussion on the TT forum about this recently, with a few people miffed that they were getting the car with Hankooks.

You are right about the 20" wheels, only seems to be one manufacturer of tyres when spec'd on a TT, and I they can be difficult to get hold of. Ridiculously low profile.

Gordon its not just luck of the draw....its a fact that most Audis are going to be fitted with Hankook tyres....and yeah they should be miffed as they are a lot cheaper

Your right. My current A3 2.0-184 TDI came with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres and my previous A3 2.0-170 TDI came with Hankook Ventus S1. Both quite acceptable from a grip point of view and both very quiet compare with some others I've had.

******** Dave,so your happy with cheap tyre's on a expensive car..not acceptable...go price Hankook tyres

Reactions: TDI-line and pburv
Hi,

New member here so be nice...

Looking forward to see your pics of FL S3 SB's, still quite a wait ahead for me but a few pics should ease the pain!

I can confirm mine was showing electric seat with memory on my Audi but when I went to view the car on Monday there was no electric seat....
p.s picking mine up in the morning from Wakefield Audi
A3 S Line Saloon in nano grey with extras including heated seats ( but not electric seats) lol

Reactions: Max-Robbo

You are right about the 20" wheels, only seems to be one manufacturer of tyres when spec'd on a TT, and I they can be difficult to get hold of. Ridiculously low profile.

TTS on 20's=30 profile P-Zero,same as the RS3 on 19's....but the S3 on 18's has always been Conti's,19"s initially where Conti's,but in the last 18 months its been 19's on P-Zeros

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
Not a great difference in price between Hankooks and other manufacturers.

For me, they're black and round and do what's required. :D

Reactions: gripross, Cloudytoo, h5djr and 3 others
******** Dave,so your happy with cheap tyre's on a expensive car..not acceptable...go price Hankook tyres
Not acceptable to you may be, but I happy with them. My current car has Dunlop tyres and the are fine and give me what I want - reasonable grip and quiet. The Hankook were the same. Some while ago on ASN there was a lot of discussion about the road noise from tyres fitted to A3s and the Dunlop's came out as one of the best. Perhaps you need expensive tyres to keep your A3/S3 on the road, I don't and I'm certainly not going to ditch a good set and Dunlop tyres just to buy ones with a 'better' name.
The other advantage of the Dunlop's was when I was driving to Germany last year and got a puncture on the autobahn. I used the space-saver to get to the hotel we had booked for the night and the next morning drove in to the nearest town and found a tyre depot that had exactly the same tyre in stock. Much better than sitting around for a couple of days whilst they got a 'better' tyre.

I think you will find that both the Dunlop and Hankook tyres used by Audi have "Made in Germany" on them.

Reactions: Gordo77 and chris1978uk
One of the best tyres I've had on any of my cars was a Nankang. Mid price tyre and a damn good one at that. Did 27k on a set before I sold the car and they still had 4-5mm all round.
I didn't rate the GY F1s. Had them on a set of 20s and they were noisy and not particularly good in the wet.

TTS on 20's=30 profile P-Zero,same as the RS3 on 19's....but the S3 on 18's has always been Conti's,19"s initially where Conti's,but in the last 18 months its been 19's on P-Zeros
Hope you're right mate! If I get some ****** Hankook tyres on my 19" I'm going to be seriously peeved :-(

Image Image Image Image Seen this today at Leeds Audi

Reactions: gripross, SpeedyFrog, Pook and 1 other person
At traffic lights today and right along side me was a FL saloon Sline in glacier. At first I thought it was my reflection but then I saw the smiley face in my rear view. Looked good.

Reactions: Max-Robbo

A few thoughts after 5 days in the sun with my FL Sport Cabriolet

With the roof up not much noisier that the 13 plate A3 SB I had, with the hood down, don't care great fun in this weather.

MMI interface has a complete update, much more intuitive, I think that even the wheel scrolls the correct way now and the bigger screen is much better. Still not sure what the Audi LTE connect does, I have a windoze phone so can't get into the Audi smartphone interface. Dab radio shows station symbols and even has a programme guide for all the Dab channels so you can find out what is coming up later on Talksport. Media player organises the albums better, by album, folder, artist, genre - so easier to navigate.

This car and my previous were the 1.4 petrol STronic, but my old SB was pre COD so not the 150bhp. I could swear that the gearing is different, because roads where I was in 7th I am now in 5th or 6th gear. No big deal, just something I have noted. Fuel consumption, early doors but about the same, 45 mpg on a 12 mile mixed commute to work, A roads, urban and some queuing traffic, but early days. The COD does feel like it is a bit punchier than my old car, but not yet had the opportunity to give it a blow out.

The steering wheel has changed with more function buttons. I had programmed the * button to skip a track, now there is a dedicated rocker integrated around the volume wheel to skip forwards and backwards.

Parking sensors now come on automatically when it thinks you are parking. I have front and back, so it can come on when you are shuffling forwards in queuing traffic, this can be helpful and it can be a pain.The parking graphic now shows the angle of the steering wheel, and which way and by how much the car is going to turn. Clever, but after 30 yrs of driving I think I have this one covered.

I had Alicante in my old car, but cloth in these. I like the feel of the cloth and if they wear as well as the old seats would not change this choice.

There are two sub sockets and an iPhone socket in the centre arm rest, useful to put your phone away from temptation, and removed the need for the 12v charge in the cigarette lighter socket, so tidies it up a bit

By all accounts people cannot tell when I am calling then, hands free, that the roof is down, must be some clever trickery with noise cancelling mikes. My only gripe is that with the roof down and the call volume on max it is difficult to hear the caller. I might take the car in to see if this is an issue.

So though it is not a new car, just a face lift I think that Audi have done enough to make it feel like a new and. Improved model.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gripross, Daytonapig, CrypticMG and 8 others
Irish audi.ie configuration is up for the New A3 and Ara Blue is an option at €1400 extra over standard colours Metallic are €950

Great!!!

It has black styling pack for the A3 as well....Ara blue + black styling pack...so nice....

Reactions: TDI-line and SpeedyFrog
Good post z1ggy. :) My parking sensors are triggered by the front sensors when going into my driveway (they detect the large concrete pillars at the sides), and obviously the car thinks a collision is about to happen!

Does the cabrio not have mics in the seatbelt...? They are like small buttons, and I think there might be 3 of them? They do help a lot with background noise especially when you are topless... I mean the car is topless. :D

Reactions: glospete
A shame about the electric seat 'error' on the spec lists. This is a feature we would have specced if it was available on the 3 door, so were rather chuffed to see it listed on our S3 order, thinking it must now be standard.

However, it's very reassuring to read that our new car will also have both front and rear brakes as well as shock absorbers!

Reactions: gripross and SpeedyFrog
A shame about the electric seat 'error' on the spec lists. This is a feature we would have specced if it was available on the 3 door, so were rather chuffed to see it listed on our S3 order, thinking it must now be standard.

However, it's very reassuring to read that our new car will also have both front and rear brakes as well as shock absorbers!

lol

Still no automatic climate control as standard.Nearly a €900 option.
Dual-zone electronic climate control is standard on all model except the SE in the UK. On the SE it's a £525 option.

Great!!!

It has black styling pack for the A3 as well....Ara blue + black styling pack...so nice....
Really does my head in this colour and bsp are not available in the UK yet... Wish I could understand the logic behind Audi's marketing decision...

Reactions: Gordo77
Really does my head in this colour and bsp are not available in the UK yet... Wish I could understand the logic behind Audi's marketing decision...

Know what you mean, different specs/options for different markets/countries. Sometimes wonder if Audi UK know what they're actually doing!

Dual-zone electronic climate control is standard on all model except the SE in the UK. On the SE it's a £525 option.

Nope ! Not in Ireland I'm afraid. It also has a crazy configuration of LED lighting pack a standard on the SE /but an option on the S Line... what's up with that?
On the plus side rear parking sensors are standard.