Caught doing 37 in a 30

god_thats_quick said:
Sorry this has been bugging me for a while, MushroomMan where abouts in the country do you live? it's just I've seen a lot of safe roads near where I live go from national speed limit down to either 50, 40 or even 30 for no good reason as far as I can tell. I'm actually all for 30 speed limits but in the south east the planning ********* seem to be going way over the top. I tend to only speed when in NSL / motorways but I'm not pretending I don't go fast at all in lower limit areas but I do slow down for schools / places where I feel there is a risk as I have a brain and can use it to make judgements when speeding is safe and when it is not - something which seems to be lacking from our authorities and the whole numptie / police state attitude that is developing in this country. MAKES ME SICK.
Rant over! :keule:

I can't disagree with much that has been written here; the nanny state has taken over the roads along with many other things in this sh#t awful country of ours. I can't claim to abide by the 30 limit all the time, I use my discretion as much as the next driver. But living in the heart of an historic market town where the limit is correctly 30, I frequently see speeding idiots taking no notice whatsoever - 40, 50 mph, etc, where there are children and pedestrians generally. These people don't give a f#ck and I rate them alongside the anti-social chav pikey w@nkers, football hooligans and Wayne Rooney.

I think it should be 20mph in such situations where you have narrow roads, lots of pedestrians milling about etc etc, but other 30mph zones (dual carriageways etc) should be put up to 40mph.
I was followed last year for 9 miles on a NSL dual carriageway by an unmarked white Merc, who then did me when I turned off for 84mph. Said nothing wrong with my driving, it was a clear day with few cars about but nevertheless I was breaking the law. It is this "by the book attitude" further fuelled by the indiscrimate nature of speed cameras that is making driving standards in the UK even worse. Thanks to the "speed kills" PR we think careful driving is purely sticking to the speed limit regardless of the hopeless examples you see everyday of people "asleep" at the wheel.
I say again, anyone causing an accident should be pointed and fined, not all the experienced/capable drivers who occasionally stray over the limit because they're actually paying attention to the road not their speedo.

nervus said:
Christ, I seen some cotton wool head last night being followed for over a mile by a traffic car with its siren on doing 70 in the fast lane with nothing on the inside, eventually the cop undertook and sped off! The silly old Tw4t should have been done for that IMO.

I've seen that happen, I reckon they should take the plate and fine them - A LOT!

I seem to remember reading that you can request to see the evidence if you are taking the matter to a Crown court or disputing it completely - which of course you probably dont want to do as the penalty is much worse if (when) found guilty.

Imola_S3 said:
I'm a biker as well as a car driver... and what you said above is the biggest heap of ***** I've ever heard!

Well around here we must have rite numbties, ok i cant really say ALL riders, but u wanna see em down our road, esp at night! Next time i'll take the camcorder out and get missus to film em, then i'll show ya! lol

I must agree, in Southampton if you were on the lookout for dangerous speeders it's always the little idiots on their 125's caning it everywhere they go, but hey that's just natural selection as they'll pretty much come off worse at some point (unless they hit a pedestrian). Unfortunately, if the process doesn't work, they then tend to graduate to a Saxo and with mates on board the driving is to much the same standard.
But I guess to blame every biker for this is a bit of a generalisation, but I hear what you're saying, and the front facing camera's don't even catch them.

The bikers that come up my road every night are the same, no way in hell are they doing 30!! And my road is fecking narrow in places! In fact a few years ago some drunk young numpty managed to flip his car outside my house!! Apparently he was doing double the speed limit so I guess it serves him right!
I'd agree with there being a time and a place for speeding though, I mean if I was pulling out of my drive when some tw@t was going like a bat out of hell up the road it would be very messy indeed. But on a clear open road, with good visibility and a well maintained car its slightly different. I guess however I wouldn't be saying that if it was one of my family involved in an accident with someone who was speeding, so you takes your chances every time you get in your car really, cos if its not you it'll be someone else.
There's been a lot of 18 year olds killed here in recent months too, like they don't have any idea of driving within their/the cars limits.
Just my 2p's worth.

Steve

P.S. Incidentally, the local authority here have actually put 2 speed cameras outside a school that I pass every day on my way to work, so they don't always get it wrong! Guess there's a first time for everything!!

Drove down the A52 from the A1 into Nottingham last week then out the other side on the A610. Speed cameras, specs cameras and red light cameras in and out, it was the most uncomfortable drive I have taken ever. People were driving at between 10 and 15 miles under the limit. Took me 2 hours to do 50 miles and this was middle of the afternoon and the traffic was light

"I wouldn't be saying that if it was one of my family involved in an accident with someone who was speeding"
So you'd feel better about it if they weren't speeding but just driving like a tw@t?
TRRL research found that less than 7% of serious accidents had speeding as a significant contributing factor, and I imagine that includes joy riding and police chases so it will actually be even less if you take those out. The facts just do not back up the lies that the authorities need us to believe in order to continue with the stealth tax.

No, thats not what I meant at all.

I have had many an argument with people who blame speed for the majority of accidents, and I'm always first to point out that its simply not the case. I just meant that there's two sides to every argument and you wouldn't justify someone else speeding if they did have an accident involving someone you knew. Even though I always feel like I concentrate even more when I'm going fast as to when I'm stuck behind someone going slow. The roads are full of tw@ts unfortunately, and its just easier and more profit worthy for the facists that run the country to lay the majority of the blame with people who stray over the speed limit cos we're an easy target. Never mind the real dangers on the roads or the real crime that goes on.
Also those speed cameras outside the school I mentioned aren't that great an idea either because while I'm looking at my speedo to make sure I don't get done I'm not paying any attention to the road so how can that be making the road safer?!

Was the camera fixed?

If so then I'm sorry but there is no excuse! It drives me mad when people moan and groan about getting done on a camera when they knew it was there all along! COME ON

If not fixed fair enough, unlucky but for people to be getting done by fixed cameras that are known to them that begs questions just as to how much attention they are paying to their driving!

"getting done by fixed cameras that are known to them that begs questions just as to how much attention they are paying to their driving!"
That's exactly why people get done by known camera's because they are paying attention to the road, hazards, other cars etc rather than their speedo. It's easily done even if you know the camera is there, I know people who've been done more than once by the same camera! Which is a bit stupid admittedly.

JamS3 said:
Was the camera fixed?

If so then I'm sorry but there is no excuse! It drives me mad when people moan and groan about getting done on a camera when they knew it was there all along! COME ON

If not fixed fair enough, unlucky but for people to be getting done by fixed cameras that are known to them that begs questions just as to how much attention they are paying to their driving!

Yes it was a fixed camera and yes it was known to me as i drive past it everyday. Have to dissagree with the "begs the question just hou much attention they where paying etc" as I was paying attention to the road and the cars infront of my car not cameras to the side of the road.. anyway my girlfriends younger brother got stabbed last weekend coming out of a pub. The guy started on him, then after they had fought ran back to his car, came back and stabbed him twice. My girlfriends family have given the police all the information and told them the boys name ( they went to the same school) only to be told that they wont be able to do anything for A COUPLE OF MONTHS. They took FIVE days before they called her brother in to make a statement. This is the same Met police that are harrassing me for doing 7 miles over the speed limit on a clear road.

Wow that puts things into perpective.
I think that's the main reason most people with at least half a brain get so upset by speeding fines especially police run mobile traps, as we all know the ridiculous resource problem the police have in dealing with real crime and the even more ludicrous rights and miscarriages of justice real criminals get awy with these days.
3 witnesses saw him do it, he was found with the weapon in his possession, he confessed in the interview but he gets off on a technicality because some idiot PC contaminated an unrelated piece of evidence.
I guess the authorities would argue that camera's free up police time to do their real job, but the reality is that the millions they invest in this technology could be spent on far more worthwhile resources which would really save lives or at least get scum like the example above off the streets.
They'd also argue that camera's are self financing, which I'm willing to believe, but they can't be both self financing and not money making at the same time, otherwise they'd have to dismantle them once they'd broken even. And outsourcing them to "safety" partnerships to prove they are not there to make money just makes the situation worse. I'd welcome them making money if the revenue generated actually went towards something useful like accident victims or the NHS.

Thats the point I'm trying to prove "I was paying attention to the road and the cars infront of my car not cameras to the side of the road.."

So from this statement then that would include children, dogs, oap's etc at the side of the road that would go not noticed!

I'm sorry you have been caught but there is no excuse if you knew it was there and you still got done. Thats why so many accidents happen these days cause people drive and just look at the road infront of them.

I don't see how you can compare the police getting at you for speeding and not doing anything for a while on a serious assault possibly attempt murder case for a while either.

How more different and complex could these 2 cases be?

You will probs find that the fixed penalty office is staffed by civilian staff and not police officers so thats why they can chase things up quickly ie all they have to do is send letters out, nothing else! Imagine the enquiries that have to be undertaken on the assault you mentioned above? I'm sure there are many things getting done that you don't know about in those 5 days before a statement was taken!

Rant over!

"There IS a direct link between speed and the level of injuries and fatalities" yes, but as already stated as a statistic it's tiny once you disregard joyriding/drunkdrivers/police chases etc.

So they just ignored the bike? Typical. But what a result for you, I got let off for the first time a few months ago, was sure they were gonna do me and already on 9 points so would have been another ban. The fact they let me off has actually had more of an effect on my speed than if they'd prosecuted.

so...getting back on topic...

When you sign the NOIP you are in effect signing a Police statement and agreeing to the facts.
There is a theory that if you respond by letter (recorded delivery) and ask for a plod to come out and take a manual statement thet they'll never bother. Gotta be worth a punt.

JamS3 im sorry but I completely disagree with you. Yes I know it was silly getting caught by a scamera I drive past regulary. When I said i was concentrating on the cars in front of me, well on this particular road, I was! On one side there is a small pavement and behing that a building site and various idustrial estates.. on the other is the central reservation as its a dual carriageway. As previously mentioned the road is not in a residential area so i would be very suprised if any OAPs, children or dogs were trying to cross. I vary my driving style depending on the road im on like I asm sure you do. If Im driving down a residential street then sure Id be looking out for the hazards you mentioned. If driving down a motorway I wouldnt be looking out for OAPs etc. As for the stuff the police were doing behind the scences.. how about interviewing the witnesses? They were appealing for witnesses in the local paper.. but my girlfriends, brothers mates were there as was the landlord and none have been questioned. Her family have been treated like sh*t by the police and they will be complaining. As i have said before if I end up having to pay the 60 squid and take 3 points ill take em.. but i aint giving them up easily! Maybe if I go and stab someone they will leave me alone for a few months untill after my insurance renewal

Eeef said:
so...getting back on topic...

When you sign the NOIP you are in effect signing a Police statement and agreeing to the facts.
There is a theory that if you respond by letter (recorded delivery) and ask for a plod to come out and take a manual statement thet they'll never bother. Gotta be worth a punt.

First iv heard of this maybe worth a go.. I think the most common idea is to reply on a seperate peice of paper with the information they require on condition that it isnt used as evidence against you. Apparently as you havent been cautioned they cant use it as evidence, this has worked for some and not for others...So far Iv written back (recorded delivery) asking to see the photographic evidence as I dont recall who was driving that day... havent heard anything back yet.

Not terribly useful unless you want to pay for the article, or are a BMJ member, but I imagine it's about the dangers of tiredness behind the wheel, which is actually more dangerous and prevelant than being slightly over the limit.
Reminds me of a Jack Dee gag:
"I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad and not screaming and shouting like the passengers in his car"

AndyMac said:
Not terribly useful unless you want to pay for the article, or are a BMJ member, but I imagine it's about the dangers of tiredness behind the wheel, which is actually more dangerous and prevelant than being slightly over the limit.
Reminds me of a Jack Dee gag:
"I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad and not screaming and shouting like the passengers in his car"

Sorry, stupidly thought that it was free access being the latest issue. Copied and pasted below if anyone is interested (other than copyright lawyers obviously!).

Interesting things are the social gradient in child injuries (discussed earlier in this thread I think), how the reliance on police stats is unsurprisingly ill founded, and finally how those of us who hate the site of 4x4s have one more piece of ammunition against them.

Regards,

B

Death and injury on roads
Lowering the road toll will take much more than altering road users' behaviour

In 2002 a theme issue of the BMJ focused on the unacceptable, and largely neglected, global toll of road traffic crashes.1 The subsequent report by the World Health Organization highlighted that low and middle income countries bear the brunt of this burden, accounting for more than 85% of the deaths and 90% of disability adjusted life years lost from road crashes.2 In contrast, many high income countries (including the United Kingdom) were shown to have sharply reduced their rates of road crashes in recent decades, exemplifying what could be achieved.

It is tempting to bask in the glory of such creditable achievements, but, as always, the devil is in the detail. A heterogeneous and unplanned collection of three papers appearing in this week's BMJ3-5 and one being published on line6 provides a timely reminder of the extent to which the potential to prevent road traffic injury remains a challenge, even in rich countries.

Examining 20 years of data up to 2001, Edwards and colleagues report a 63% decline in the rates of child deaths from injury in England and Wales.6 Below the surface of this heartening trend, however, are steep social class gradients indicating that the gains in life and health have largely eluded children from the poorest families. The authors calculate that 600 fewer children would have died from injury in 2001-3 if all children in England and Wales could aspire to the low death rate of the highest income group. These disparities were especially marked for deaths among child pedestrians and children on pedal cycles, with children in the lowest socioeconomic group experiencing cause specific mortality more than 20 times that of children in the highest group.

Similar disparities in child mortality are evident elsewhere, with important differences in the exposure to risk and the environmental risk factors found to underlie the apparent socioeconomic differentials. These include the speed and density of traffic in residential areas, access to safe play areas, and fenced driveways.7 8 Approaches to reduce these inequities must tackle economic and transport policy as well as interventions affecting the environment, vehicles, and road users, rather than relying solely on changing the behaviour of victims.

The study by Walker and colleagues provides little room for complacency regarding our ability to influence human behaviour.4 Although robust legislation was enacted more than 20 years ago, this study found that one in six drivers in London did not wear seatbelts.4 A worrying group also flouted highly publicised new legislation banning the use of hand held mobile phones while driving. The lack of an observed change in compliance during the transition from the grace period to penalty phase of implementing the law suggests a disturbing lack of awareness or disregard of the new legislation by these drivers. While the report focused on the more risky behaviour of drivers of four wheel drive vehicles, the behaviour of other drivers showed plenty of room for improvement.

Also in this issue, Nabi and colleagues draw attention to the strong association between sleepiness and the risk of road traffic crashes.5 French drivers reporting that they drove when sleepy once a month or more over 12 months had almost three times the risk of serious injury in the subsequent three years compared with those who did not drive when sleepy. While seat belts, speed, and alcohol consumption are emphasised in numerous road safety campaigns, sleepiness does not seem to have attained front line status. Yet strategies to prevent driving while acutely sleepy could prevent almost 20% of car crashes that cause serious injury.9 As noted by Nabi and colleagues, however, the main challenge may be to convince people to stop driving when they are sleepy rather than helping drivers to recognise their signs of sleepiness.

Regardless of the context, policy makers and planners require one or more yardsticks by which to measure the performance and celebrate the achievements of programmes designed to drive down the death toll and serious injury on the roads. With competing priorities, not to do so is programmatic suicide.

But, also in this week's BMJ, Gill and colleagues show the need to be circumspect when monitoring trends in non-fatal road traffic injury.3 First, their study confirms previous research suggesting that under-reporting of non-fatal injuries in police statistics is increasingly common, including injuries severe enough to warrant hospital admission.10 Secondly, for every death due to road traffic injury in England, there are about 20 admissions to hospital, indicating that the more reliable mortality statistics represent only the tip of the iceberg of road traffic injuries.

Finally, if robust indicators of serious non-fatal injury are difficult to find in high income countries, the degree of under-reporting is probably considerably greater in low and middle income countries, which experience a disproportionate burden of crashes.2 11 12 We have almost certainly underestimated considerably the global epidemic of road traffic injury.

Shanthi Ameratunga, director, Injury Prevention Research Centre

i normally allow speed limit + 10 for travelling through film cameras on the main roads in london, as I'm sure if they were set any lower they'd be out of film in a few hours, and even if I do get flashed I haven't been penalised yet. Out of town, or with the new digital cameras, I'm more wary. According to some that makes me a dangerous driver - I've never had a point and have 9 years no claims after 11 years driving :applaus: but the day will come when I get dumped into loophole land. To be done for 37 in a 30 on a road you know well, where you say it's safe to do so... it's daylight robbery and it stigmatises you unfairly. It's madness.

As I say I'm not familiar with the latest or best escapes but you're entitled to try anything - remember that plod reluctantly made his cameras visible only recently, having been reminded that they're supposedly a preventative measure. Just don't be gratuitous if it goes in front of a magistrate - they're well aware of police bungling, as are you from the sounds of it, but can also spot a chancer. You could cite the lack of discretion shown to you (i.e. an officer on patrol would probably have ticked you off and no more) if you find something but think your case makes you look like a bit of an artist, but hopefully it won't come to that. Good luck.