Anyone done a twincharged 1.8/1.9/2.0/2.1.. 20v

Been discussed before mate... essentially no one here has and anywhere I have found on the web that suggests they have done or doing it never completes or says how well it works...

Have discussed it at length with Bill before as a customer of his has asked....

Its a bit exotic and would require a lot of fabrication and a standalone ECU... ME7 would struggle at best I expect with this setup but who knows

Lets face it... Audi have done this with the 1.4 FSI... thats not going as well as they would like...

Innovate away :)

<tuffty/>

Pat on vortex has done a couple but not sure if they completed and not seen the results

I love the idea of it and did read an impressive derv thread of a compound setup that produced some nice results throughout the range

A compound turbo is verh nice and gives you what you need- driveability ! A big turbo is a pain to drive on a daily bassis... you will need to carefully choose the turbos in order to work well...

Big turbos are not a pain to drive daily at all...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Gops, Scullies, Sean_S3 and 2 others
Big turbos are not a pain to drive daily at all...

<tuffty/>

This is true.

Re the original question there is quite a bit of stuff on VAGOC regarding the 1.4 engine and I think an ECU like the Syvecs would be up to the job but frankly that also makes running a single big turbo a lot easier too.

I know from the VAGOC threads that tuning that engine hasn't been easy.

Apart from just to be different or because why the hell not... I don't see the point

I mean, I doubt you'll be able to achieve anything you can't already with the correct turbo.

Just imagine having over 600bhp, you plant your foot in high gear and you get a lag before the turbo kicks in?

Now add a supercharger, the supercharger will give loads of torque to about 4k then the turbo takes over to 8k.. One very rapid car.

This depends on driving style.
In my s3 i like changing gears down to go faster but in the wifes a3 2.0t tsi im soooo lazy
Id rather be able to leave it in gear so i totally see what Abdrew is saying. It would be fairly awesome!

Yes that could be done. But wouldn't you like your car to be almost lag free?

Actually no... I guess its a personal thing but I prefer the way my car drives on a bigger turbo tbh... after living with a BT car for many years I find driving tuned smaller turbo'd cars a little tiring... they seem a little too eager... I guess its something I have gotten used to :)

The idea is sound though and the engineering behind it is interesting.... be good to see someone actually pull it off but I would personally rather stick an R32 lump in and turbo that ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: VAG-Slag
twin smaller turbo's seems like a decent approach though....

<tuffty/>

How would you know?
:whistle2:
As a matter of fact i have bwen tuning cars for years and driving a highly souped up car with a big turbo on the rev limiter is a bit tiring... as other mentioned with big turbos you get lag- lots of it unless you downshift a few gears to put the big turbo in the power band...

Reactions: snowy
given the power onset looks mid range, you have to ask why would you do this other than "its different"

Agree'd single turbo would be the obvious choice, however..... Audi are now bringing electric turbos into there cars, not entirely sure how that works. Assuming the e-turbo would spool up the larger turbo.

Audi TTRS Clubsport is one of them yielding 592bhp with a 0-60 in 3.6.

ect-set-2-dsc-0006.jpg

Guess you can basically set the turbo to specific rpm irrespective of how much exhaust gas you've got to work with

Actually no... I guess its a personal thing but I prefer the way my car drives on a bigger turbo tbh... after living with a BT car for many years I find driving tuned smaller turbo'd cars a little tiring... they seem a little too eager... I guess its something I have gotten used to :)

<tuffty/>

Yup. when driving around town i either have to leave it in 6th doing 30, or sound like im trying to show off with the turbo spooling as soon as i touch the accerator

It's my first turbo car so i loved it at first, but it can be a bit of a pain now.

Reactions: scotty_24
I agree. Driving around town with my hybrid (its got the 15 psi actuator) can sometimes cause a kangaroo type jumpy drive as the N75 tries to control the boost, even without moving your foot position on the accelerator.

I assume the actuator is needed to hold boost up top, but my god its highly annoying when cruising.

does'nt need to be uber stiff an actuator, just stiff enough so n75 has enough duty cycle range to control things to desired level

too stiff (15psi actuators etc) and its too on/off to be smooth

In the 1980's, the group B rally cars were turbocharged and supercharged with huge success, so much so in fact that they were banned outright!

This is my personal favourite, the noise really is something else. AWESOME is one word. :grin: 600bhp, 890 kg and can go from 0-100 kph in 2.5 seconds. OH YES.

Reactions: snowy, superkarl and Lavis89