Urgent! Turbo noise help?

Dannymoto

Reaction score

See video, apparently just had the turbo re conditioned, this something to worry about or normal?

140bhp 2.0L TDI A3 2006 87k

Sounds ok to me. Does the car drive and pull ok? Any smoking?

Sounds a little rough for my liking but if the car pulls HARD and doesnt smoke as stated above should be ok, I don't think it sounds right

TBH the turbo's do that, depends what they did to recon the unit.

Was the vid recorded straight after fitting? Obviously it's an oil cooled turbo so requires lubrication..

Sounds too noisy for me, I'd walk from that.

Engine noise is fine, the turbo is too definitely too 'whiney'

Oh :/ he said it's just been done.
How much is a new turbo?

Brand new your looking 650-800, remanufactured to an OEM standard I'd say £300ish. Then ontop of that you have labour. Does he have any receipts to prove this and is there any warranty with the refurbed turbo?

Should get them tomorrow, if there is proof then what else could be the problem? Does pull pretty hard just never heard a diesel make that noise before :/

They do whine, but that from what I can tell on the video sound, it's noisier than usual.

Was the oil return pipe cleaned or changed? Were the relevant gaskets changed?
There should be receipts to prove it. If it takes time for the seller to produce them, then I smell a rat.

Should get them tomorrow, if there is proof then what else could be the problem? Does pull pretty hard just never heard a diesel make that noise before :/

Don't think it could be anything else other than the turbo mate, as you can hear it spooling up with a worsening whine and then back down with a whine with increased and decreased revs.

They do whine, but that from what I can tell on the video sound, it's noisier than usual.

Was the oil return pipe cleaned or changed? Were the relevant gaskets changed?
There should be receipts to prove it. If it takes time for the seller to produce them, then I smell a rat.
I've asked those questions, it wasn't the dealer that did it, it was the previous owner that took it to a garage.

Don't think it could be anything else other than the turbo mate, as you can hear it spooling up with a worsening whine and then back down with a whine with increased and decreased revs.
But surely if it's just been done it shouldn't sound like that at all? If he shows proof then what do I do?

But surely if it's just been done it shouldn't sound like that at all? If he shows proof then what do I do?

If he shows receipts then I would ring the garage to ask what work has been done to the car, if he cant produce the receipts then I would walk away, plenty more out there

Ugh really stuck as to what to do now :/ could ask for warranty included?

These things can last for absolutely ages whining their t1ts off. Warranty may not be the answer.

We had a runner car at work (a car for doing sh1tty runs, odd jobs) and it was a full on police siren depending on where your foot was on the pedal. It did it for a long time, but the noise was rediculous.

God knows how many of these engines I've driven and heard. It isn't right for sure.

I'd look for another one, there plenty more in the world.

Unless of course the seller can take around £1200 off the asking price. Although I wouldn't bother asking him that.

These things can last for absolutely ages whining their t1ts off. Warranty may not be the answer.

We had a runner car at work (a car for doing sh1tty runs, odd jobs) and it was a full on police siren depending on where your foot was on the pedal. It did it for a long time, but the noise was rediculous.

God knows how many of these engines I've driven and heard. It isn't right for sure.

I'd look for another one, there plenty more in the world.

Unless of course the seller can take around £1200 off the asking price. Although I wouldn't bother asking him that.
It did sound like a police siren, at first I thought it was the speakers but then I turned the radio off and was still doing it. The car is fantastic other than that, really unsure what to do, I'll wait to see what he comes back with tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help.
And everyone else that has commented.

When you can definitively hear it in the cabin over most other noises, it's poo'd.

It should be a soft whistle, not so much of a whine.

To be honest, my turbo has been doing this for the last four years and it's still going strong. It has been replaced around five years ago.If they can throw in some warranty for free so you have peace of mind then why not? It's up to you whether you can live with the noise.

To be honest, my turbo has been doing this for the last four years and it's still going strong. It has been replaced around five years ago.If they can throw in some warranty for free so you have peace of mind then why not? It's up to you whether you can live with the noise.
But it shouldn't make that noise if it's just had the turbo re conditioned?