Aftermarket Cams & the never ending hunt for more power

stupid question im sure
but why would they not suit a small frame turbo?

Most small frame turbos are out of puff or just creating heat by 5.5k. So increasing flow capacity up top at the expense of drivability low down on a turbo that cannot utilise the added benefit of top end flow

Reactions: Prawn
best we try and find time to get the cams in the lupo test mule is'nt it...
I'm as interested as anyone to see how well they help a smaller frame (aka hybrid) setup..
372bhp lupo k04 hybrid power now.... Wonder what the cams might bring to the party..

We shall see.

Reactions: scotty_24
I'm as interested as anyone to see how well they help a smaller frame (aka hybrid) setup..
372bhp lupo k04 hybrid power now.... Wonder what the cams might bring to the party..

We shall see.

Get it done Bill !

From your experience, what else could be effecting the car not accepting more timing?

If you're busy Bill, I'd be more than happy to bring my socket set up and fit them to the lupo outside whilst you work on customer cars one weekend. All I'd ask in exchange is for a test drive :laugh:

Scott u defo hv an issue bro, I'd get everything checked possible before spending anymore money on it.

Wellycooler with 76mm pipework down to 63mm map sensor tube
Devils own WMI with nozzle after intercooler (now has second nozzle at throttle body)
IE Rods (new rings and bearings fitted at same time
Relentless Pro4 Mani
Bosch 600cc injectors from BBT
3" relentless decat into 3" powerflow system
B5 TIP and JR Filter
BBT k418T
CG Motorsports clutch
BK77EIX Spark Plugs
N249 Bypass
PVC Delete
Phonelic intake gasket
710N Diverter valve (got rid of the Forge as I heard they can leak)

Now has alloy XL radiator with Water Wetter Coolant
Now has 82Degree thermostat

310hp with your setup is not good
you probably have a malfunction in your engine, cams will not resolve your problem.
I know a guy that switch the flywheel and then engine start pull ignition

310hp with your setup is not good
you probably have a malfunction in your engine, cams will not resolve your problem.
I know a guy that switch the flywheel and then engine start pull ignition

With all due respect

1)How on Gods fine Earth can changing a Flywheel effect ignition timing.

2) We have established that im down on power, by about 20 BHP comparted to similar set ups. (Basing on Daz's car)
Now 20BHP isnt much, but I would like to understand why.

3) Im fully aware that cams wont fix whatever problem I have, I need to fins out why its holding back power. The question about cams was really to find out if they give much bang for buck

Reactions: daithi23
CG Stage 3, I asked for a 8 paddle though to try and make it feel as OEM as possible.
He said they can provice 4,6,8 paddles depending on your use (all out track days, daily driver etc etc)
Slight judder when pulling away, but light as a feather.
Traffic can be a pain, but just got to live with it

Reactions: Alex C
im still on oem clutch
no probs with it?

fair enough

mine was new so i left it but it will probably bite me in the **** lol

So. Took Vag com home and logged on the way.
At full chat Intake temps of 10degrees Celsius (methanol doing its job)
270gs of air flow (270/0.8= air to sustain 337.5 bhp)
Timing correctional factor across all cylinders, 0
Coolant temp never over 95degress at full chat
Looks like the second meth nozzle is doing its job helping with the timing advance and plummeting the intake temps, as well as the Rad and 82 degree thermostat keeping cooling down.
Roll on the dyno day next month to see if I've cracked it :)

Reactions: StaceyS3, Miguel_S# and S3Alex
good luck man!!!
hope the air intake figures find their way to the rollers!!!

So. Took Vag com home and logged on the way.
At full chat Intake temps of 10degrees Celsius (methanol doing its job)
270gs of air flow (270/0.8= air to sustain 337.5 bhp)
Timing correctional factor across all cylinders, 0
Coolant temp never over 95degress at full chat
Looks like the second meth nozzle is doing its job helping with the timing advance and plummeting the intake temps, as well as the Rad and 82 degree thermostat keeping cooling down.
Roll on the dyno day next month to see if I've cracked it :)

thats better

Back to back runs Bill it didnt oull timing once! 0,0,0,0 accross the whole board :)
The coolant temp thing wasnt shooting up like it was on your Dyno, I believe all is good.

Have you tested these cams yet ? ;)

hahaha
yeh hurry up bill you are creating a que!!

You gents will get told off :laugh:

Think of the guiness tag line....
Goodthingsshot.jpg

Guinness-300x91.png

Guinness-3.png

Has anyone heard the IE street/strip cams idle? They sound AWESOME. Not something I would want on my car due to the attention you'd get but if it was a pure track car or if you don't care about the attention they are wicked.

Whilst part of my loves the charismatic nature of a lairy lumpy idle like my Mini, I can't help but think that if Bills has mananged to engineer some cams that idle like stock and make more power, it's a more complete solution.

That said, I can certainly see the appeal of it sounding like a touring car on idle :racer: :laugh:

Today will be a very interesting day indeed.

What are cams going to bring to the hybrid game I wonder? Will they show that the turbo is on it's **** already and can't give any more? Or is the rule book about to be re-written again and a genuine 400bhp from a hybrid could be on the cards?

Who knows?! I'm ****** excited to find out though!

Whilst part of my loves the charismatic nature of a lairy lumpy idle like my Mini, I can't help but think that if Bills has mananged to engineer some cams that idle like stock and make more power, it's a more complete solution.

That said, I can certainly see the appeal of it sounding like a touring car on idle :racer: :laugh:

Today will be a very interesting day indeed.

What are cams going to bring to the hybrid game I wonder? Will they show that the turbo is on it's **** already and can't give any more? Or is the rule book about to be re-written again and a genuine 400bhp from a hybrid could be on the cards?

Who knows?! I'm ****** excited to find out though!

I agree with everything you said. One thing, IE offer cams with stock like idle which give massive power gains. I'm not sure who's would give more (bills or IE) and I don't think we will ever find out unless someone independent tests them. Just worth noting however.

Also, I'm no expect but don't the hybrid turbos run out of puff right around the period cams offer more power? So I can't see hybrids getting a huge gain from cams (I hope I'm proved wrong!)