New A3

philvic

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie on here
I am just about to order a new A3 sportback lease car to replace my VW golf cab. I am just deciding on options. I am thinking of going with Amalfi white with black or pashmina leather seats, extended monopur, interior lights, panoramic roof, parking sensors and SD Nav, hill hold and folding mirrors.
Not quite sure about the pano roof - anyone got this? It was supposed to make me feel better about not having the cabriolet anymore but I saw a bad story about an exploding roof somewhere.
Is the mono-pur worth it?
Are front sensors necessary (how easily can you judge the front on these cars)?
How much better is tech pack then the ordinary system and satnav?
And is the standard sound system OK (I am not an audiophile as long as its clear and not crackling)
And what other nice but not too expensive options have I missed (not interested in expensive headlights)

And any comments on black vs pashmina interior?

I don't think front sensors are necessary, but the missus drives my car sometimes so I added them for her (our gym car park is mega tight) ..

The standard sound system is poor, the Audi Sound System is in my opinion more than adequate if you're not an audiophile, and it's not an expensive option.

Mono.pur is nice, as is the interior light pack, but neither I would say are must haves if you're trying to keep costs down.

I don't have the tech pack, or any form of nav but that's because I couldn't see myself using any of it, and it's quite a bit of extra £. All depends on the use of your car I suppose. The question I asked myself was could I see myself consistently using any of the tech features, and the answer for me was a big no.

A lot of people rave about the active cruise control option, what are you intending to use your car for?

Welcome and nice spec! I can answer some of your questions
  • Mono.pur - Some on the forum say life isn't worth living without it ;) Personally, I'm happy I specced it as it looks great but it's relatively expensive for what you get.
  • Front sensors - Again will be personal opinion, I've never felt the need for them as it's easy to judge the front of the car. Find the reversing sensors more useful as I sometimes reverse towards a wall at home.
  • Standard sound system - like you I'm not an audiophile and tend to only listen to the radio for background noise and I'm actually impressed with the sound system. It's very clear, listening to DAB stations sound great, and has enough power without distortion.
What engine and trim (SE, Sport S-Line) have you gone for?

I have the basic sound system and I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about when people say it's not very good.
It's more than adequate and I play my music pretty loud at times. I just think people always want the "best of everything" sometimes and a bit of snobbery comes in. At the end of the day you're in a car, not the local rave ;)

Hello all, newbie on here
I am just about to order a new A3 sportback lease car to replace my VW golf cab. I am just deciding on options. I am thinking of going with Amalfi white with black or pashmina leather seats, extended monopur, interior lights, panoramic roof, parking sensors and SD Nav, hill hold and folding mirrors.
Not quite sure about the pano roof - anyone got this? It was supposed to make me feel better about not having the cabriolet anymore but I saw a bad story about an exploding roof somewhere.
Is the mono-pur worth it?
Are front sensors necessary (how easily can you judge the front on these cars)?
How much better is tech pack then the ordinary system and satnav?
And is the standard sound system OK (I am not an audiophile as long as its clear and not crackling)
And what other nice but not too expensive options have I missed (not interested in expensive headlights)

And any comments on black vs pashmina interior?
Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

Nicely spec'ed A3!

To answer some of your points -

Pano roof - Haven't spec'ed it so I personally can't comment. BUT there are quite a few members who have & love it!
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/panoramic-roof.229332/

Mono.pur - See http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2325955

Front sensors - I spec'ed them as part of the comfort pack. You just never know when you'll need them IMO.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/front-parking-sensors.226620/

Tech pack - Can't comment as I didn't spec it. Plenty have and love it tho'
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/compare-sd-satnav-against-tech-pack.195095/

Sound system - I spec'ed the Audi sound system on my S3 as my now sold A4 s-line has the exact same system as standard, so didn't want to downgrade on it so to speak
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-sound-system-yes-or-no.224554/

Other options? Go with what suits you and your needs is my suggestion :thumbs up:

Plenty of reading in the very informative FAQ's too
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/faqs-frequently-asked-questions-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/

Keep us all updated :)

I have the basic sound system and I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about when people say it's not very good.
It's more than adequate and I play my music pretty loud at times. I just think people always want the "best of everything" sometimes and a bit of snobbery comes in. At the end of the day you're in a car, not the local rave ;)

I agree with you there, the standard system isn't poor and I think it is better than most other manufacturers standard systems..

Reactions: koder and MA3RC
Many thanks for the useful comments and encouragement. The engine is the basic petrol 1.2 TFSI - I went for the cheapest on that - it should be more than enough powerful for my needs and I only do about 6-7000 miles/year so diesel not necessary. I think I will stick to the basic sound system- I am sure it will be adequate for me. I am looking forward to the DAB as on my current analogue radio I can only get a couple of channels clearly. I should also stick to the SD satnav as I only use it occasionally. Still not quite sure about the pano-roof.
I have cruise control on my current car but I rarely use it and when I do I find it makes me slightly tense and feel a bit out of control. I definitely wouldn't pay extra for it.

I like the front sensors and they are cheap with the Comfort pack.
Also get the High beam assist - I like it.

Oh my god you just opened a can of worms with the mono.pur! :p

Right:

If you want the pano roof, go for it - I did want to spec it, but for me at £950 it was a bit pricey for something that you might never use if you have Climate Control, I also fear if I had it opened for a bird to poo like it did when I had my Polo, I was driving under tree's and a bird decided to have diarrhoea all over my windscreen and roof, thank god I didn't have a sunroof open...

mono.pur - I specced it, in my opinion it makes the interior complete, as it's already a great car inside, it's nice to replace the hard plastic trim around the gearstick area (good name for it, no idea the real name :p) and the soft touch material that is on the dash for the door handles. I'm not sure what trim you are going for, SE, Sport or s line, all i know is the mono.pur matches your interior choice.

Interior lights - yes, yes and yes - i'll tell you now since I didn't know till I picked it up, the footwell lights stay on dim when driving (can be adjusted/turned off in the MMI), the door handle wells have a light that stay on too, cup holders have an outline ring round them, you also get puddle lights - not sure if the coming home/leaving home function comes with that or is just standard however, but thats a nice feature too. Interior light package is well worth it, much brighter lights and adds the touch.

Front sensors: i did think about these too, reversing down the side of the house to the back garage, you have to turn in-between the house and fence to get into the garage as it's not direct in line with the small 'alley' if you want to call it that, and sometimes I do think what it'd be like if I had the front sensors, but I don't regret it. Think about your circumstance/confidence in parking and make your decision from that.

Tech Pack - can't comment, I just seen the price for it and self imploded, didn't look into it as I didn't spec the SatNav anyway, you can get them to install it afterwards so it's not the end of the world. I hate SatNavs, but won't really ever need one unless I go away, and if I do i'll use my TomTom which I find to be excellent, I have heard complaints in general about built in SatNavs, and the cost to update them.

Hill Hold - GREAT bit of kit. Just come to the lights, see the green P on the dash, let go the breaks and it will hold it. Love it to say the least, my dealer told me I would have to keep activating it when I start the car. She was either confused, wrong or it's had an update because I've activated it just the once and it stays activated.

Powerfold mirrors: SHOULD BE STANDARD but again, great feature and you can set them to auto fold when you lock the car, or manually fold them if your in a tight space, and when you start the car they won't fold out again until you do so, that was a question I had so I thought i'd answer it just incase you wonder :)

Just one last thing, I was ordering Amalfi white too, but after seeing it in person & against Glacier white, I had to go for Glacier. Just make sure your happy with it, amalfi is a marmite colour, love it or hate it!

Hope this has helped including others posts, anymore questions just ask away, I went mental with threads when I was ordering/ordered mine - so don't worry :p

Reactions: StefRobinson
Thanks for the help, I have decided (I think):

Colour: Solid - Amalfi white
Aluminium trim elements,
Milano leather - Black
Panoramic glass sunroof - have to have this
Colour Driver Information System
Acoustic parking system – rear only
High beam assistant (thanks for the tip, it looks very useful and well worth the money)
Electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
Hill hold assist
SD card satellite navigation system
Extended interior elements mono.pur
Interior light pack - A3

I was sorely tempted by the technology pack - this youtube demo is awesome
but I couldnt justify the very high cost for something I would not use too often.

Reactions: Blackwhite
:icon thumright:

Be sure to upload a pic when you get it :p

Have you considered the electrically adjustable lumbar support? It's only about £120 for both seats. It's not obvious, but there is NO lumbar support on the seats unless you specify this option. If you do any long journeys I'd really recommend this option. Also, no cruise control? My only regret is getting the standard CC rather than ACC.

And on a cold winter day... heated seats. Absolutely fantastic, Seats and backs are heated, it's so good. :)

I dont really want the cruise or heated seats (but I would have taken a heated steering wheel if this was an option as it is on the Golf). Not sure about Lumbar support but you have got me thinking about going for the Sport spec with Sports seats and half leather /Alcantara as this works out very similar price to the above spec. Any thoughts from the team on this?

I dont really want the cruise or heated seats (but I would have taken a heated steering wheel if this was an option as it is on the Golf). Not sure about Lumbar support but you have got me thinking about going for the Sport spec with Sports seats and half leather /Alcantara as this works out very similar price to the above spec. Any thoughts from the team on this?

If it suits you go for it, remember it will have the sport suspension unless you specify you want the SE suspension like I did with my S-Line.

Have you looked at comfort pack rather than just rear sensors?

For £605 you get auto lights/wipers, cruise control, rear sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror and acoustic glass.

Si.

Glad it's not just me, I was beginnning to think I must be deaf! I've 'only' got the standard audio and I can't fault it, being appreciably better than in any other car I've owned. I think the loudest I've ever had it was level 16 and that was loud enough that you wouldn't have been able to hold a conversation, there's plenty enough bass, no distortion from the speakers and phone calls over the bluetooth are crystal clear at both ends. I have no doubt that the B&O will offer more of everything ('HD' audio, I suppose), but the standard kit is far from poor.

I have rain sensor and autowipers in my current car and I think it must be the most pointless technology ever invented. I can decide for myself when I need my wipers on. And the specs I have requested are expensive enough ....