Anyone with vcds cables to test S4..?

Av4nt

Reaction score
Going to test drive aa B7 S4 on Monday 6th January in Nottingham...

Dont suppose anyone lives nearby would be willing to join me and plug the girl in and check out for any faults that may be lurking? Happy to pay towards it if necessary

Cheers

Lewis

Hi Lewis, maybe ask @hades- He is the closest active member. Happy new Year Lewis. :) x

Going to test drive aa B7 S4 on Monday 6th January in Nottingham...

Dont suppose anyone lives nearby would be willing to join me and plug the girl in and check out for any faults that may be lurking? Happy to pay towards it if necessary

Cheers

Lewis

I'd be making sure with the seller they're happy to allow some randomer to plug a device into one of their cars before arranging imo.

I can do it but cant travel down to notts

my cars off the road so fngers crossed it will be in leeds

but if your around my way anytime I can plug in

I wouldn't buy a car if the seller wouldn't let me connect it to VCDS. There is so much that can wrong with a car that you may not know especially something like an S4. When I bought my Audi it wasn't an issue and I found one glow plug duff and the fuel cap door solenoid faulty.
Neither known about by the seller. Car had a full Audi service history and the glow plug and solenoid had failed after the previous service.
There were also fault codes pointing to intermittent problems with the high pressure rail fuel pressure sensor. This turned out to be because the owner had a tuning box fitted to the car that he had taken off and refitted.
After checking that out I drove the car and managed to knock off £150 for the glow plug and fuel cap solenoid and got to keep the tuning box which he was going to remove.

Karl.

Reactions: Av4nt
I see your point but if I cant get a VCDS user to do it Im not in luck really. any new car is hit and miss I suppose, ill just have to scan the service history and engine bay etc for the common stuff. Ill make sure its serviced peroperly before hand to with a car like that!

I can do it but cant travel down to notts

my cars off the road so fngers crossed it will be in leeds

but if your around my way anytime I can plug in

Ill bare this one in mind, as I go to manchester on the odd occasion so could venture that way home if I get it, sometime:)

any serious problems will show with lights etc

you may find the odd small issue.

also you may scan and find loads of codes that don't relate to any faults as the battery may have been disconnected or a fault repaired and not cleared..
and may put you off a very good car.

I bought my S4 last month from a good garage, after buying it I had a garage plug a VCDS in and there was no issues then 3 hours later discovered an oil leak behind the oil cooler (gutted) haha apart from that the car is spot on. Has full Audi history is why I bought it. It's hit and miss buying a second hand one... Go with your gut (before driving it) once you drive it you will be sold. Great car

A VCDS scan is another tool to help you spot issues that aren't obvious. You have to take all the precautions that you would buying any used car, If there are pre existing fault codes note them and then ask the owner if you can clear them. Take the car for a good drive and check the car again after you have had a good 15 minute test drive.
If the owner has an issue with you using VCDS, especially if it's a dealer I might assume that there may be something they may want to hide.