Saving a white 3.0 quattro build thread.

What a superb thread....You make it seem so easier yet I remember all the swear words I learned whilst just changing the rear discs and pads.

What a project! - Just needs some S4 bumpers to finish it off.

looks very nice stance pal, i painted my 19 rs4 reps a similar colour too, wait till you get the front bumper it will make it look so much tougher up front, i used to have that bumper on mine but got an sline lower and made it fit the upper.
that other audi a4 you was breaking,do you still have it and what are the front wings like? im after a set in silver for my a4!

Awesome stuff m8

Great log.

How were the pinch bolts when you done the front springs?

See your in Ipswich, Im in Bury St Eds so will look out for you ragging it up and down the A14!!!

Great thread just a shame you couldn't go into more detail! LOL

Bet your glad you didn't give up on the first car its a credit to you.

Why does everyone worry about the pinch bolts haha

Because people use the wrong techniques
It needs to be turned and pushed at the same time. Instead of just pushed.

(Let me know when ya arnt too busy mate and il pop up) :) :)

cheers for the comments everyone, very much greatly received ;) This is my first Audi and i am extremely impressed and over the past 2 years it hasnt missed a beat :) i have always had old school vauxhalls and done engine transplants and full resorations on all of them, i just cant help myself sometimes i start to do a little job and then just spirals out of control. times have changes, im now 28, mortgaged, married and two kids so it was time for a bit of luxary!

some of my previous work include

my 360bhp astra

my 2.5 V6 astra van

my cavalier gsi

my vectra gsi with LPG

047.jpg
[/URL]

052.jpg
[/URL]

done a few conversions for other people too

1990 c20xe 'redtop' into a 2007 corsa d

vectra 2.5 v6 into a 1.6 astra

069-1.jpg

heck, my latest winter project has been my 1960s lawn mower, it only needed roller bearings and ended up with a bare metal respray lmao

all my own work :cool:

ANYWAY, back to answering some of these questions :blush:

Christ! You on vvoc?

Yes i am on vvoc and the vaux forums as rc :)

Really enjoyed reading the thread fantastic work and lovely pictures but a small question for you super Ron I have the same 3.0 litre engine as you, do you know much about the pre-cats on the exhaust, it has been rumoured that the pre-cats waste a lot of power from the engine by limiting the through put of exhaust gases, and I was told there is a lamda sensor each side of the pre-cat does this make pre-cat removal impossible or just very difficult

thanks in advance for any help on this

i thought the same when i saw they had 4 ****** cats! im not sure if they can be ditched as like you say the pre cat has a lambda ech side monitoring its progress. Engine running wise the rears can be ditched no problem, but not so mot friendly. As mine is LPG it basically gives out zero emissions so would theoretically pass, but as it starts up on petrol it needs them in by law. so the answer is i dont know. in the vauxhall world i know all the bits that can be ditched, EGR valves, SAI pumps, Cats etc. but with this i just put it straight back in as audi did.

If there was info on deleting as much as possible then it would certainly be greatly received :)

What's your over all measurements after the springs?
In inches?
I have 19s and mines too low
Yours still looks practical

Can u measure from floor to the middle of the arch please
(Incase people did it different ways lol)

Too work mate, lovely looking car. Especially the white, I always thought they looked cheap but I was wrong

those pics were taken the day i fitted them as the new springs settled in nicely. i dont have any problems with rideheight bottoming out or anything, obviously i still have to slow down for bumps etc due to the reduced suspension and tiny tyres, but never have any under belly scuffing problems.

here are some pics today (sorry for the dirt)

just over 24.5 inches on the rear

just over 25inches on the front

looks very nice stance pal, i painted my 19 rs4 reps a similar colour too, wait till you get the front bumper it will make it look so much tougher up front, i used to have that bumper on mine but got an sline lower and made it fit the upper.
that other audi a4 you was breaking,do you still have it and what are the front wings like? im after a set in silver for my a4!

the last of the audi bits went over a year ago. i did really well on breaking it. i kept the engine (obviously) and the wheels, and also kept the tiptronic box as a spare (just incase, reading the horror stories) and i actually ended up in profit :) i did pick it clean though!

got a real time update to upload Re: bumpers, watch this space ;)

Awesome stuff m8

Great log.

How were the pinch bolts when you done the front springs?

See your in Ipswich, Im in Bury St Eds so will look out for you ragging it up and down the A14!!!

they wernt to bad as i'd already had them out 18months previous when fitting the engine, but back then i dont think they'd ever been out and was a bit of a nightmare, took a while and alot of air gunning and WD40. the silver ones came out as if they had only just been fitted though!

Great thread just a shame you couldn't go into more detail! LOL

Bet your glad you didn't give up on the first car its a credit to you.

it has been said i am a bit of a documenter! :blush: especially when i upload a couple of years of progress all in one go haha!

i am also (slowly) building a RWD mk3 astra and thats 86pages and over #2000 posts long so far!

Last edited:
Is that a sulfok punch mower if so I just scraped one last year that had the chain cover that you are missing! Dam!

Last edited:
Were you involved in building the custom supercharger kit for the v6?

Nice mate and I see your in Felixstowe. Let me know if you wanna sell the 18" rs4 alloys.

Last edited:
Great build thread! It's nice to see your enthusiasm for the car, I look forward to seeing it develop.

We are up to real time updates now, and once again the plot thickens! I got hold of a sline front splitter about 6months ago and since that time ive been searching for front grilles. But these seem to be very hard to get hold of, and when they do come up they are at preinum prices, sometimes more than new!
On one of my nightly ebay sessions searching S-Line I came across this for £1000. 1.8T BEX 190bhp 6speed. 6 Months mot, 1 months tax. 102k miles, FASH upto 80k. Just had a recon turbo and top end rebuild, headgasket and cambelt, with all recipts. Black window trims, 5 alloys etc. BUT its got the 6speed CVT gearbox, so you can guess why its so cheap.. .. it had a gearbox fluid change at 40k miles at audi, and a gearbox oil and filter change at 95k when the problems started. Just shows even the looked after ones die :( its only troublesome start stop shunting around, I drove it 80miles home and it didnt miss a beat!

So the plan is take the bumpers for mine and break the rest. Lots of goodies to go :)

thats a bargain pal, a grand for that! you'll easy make your money back and more breaking it and you got the sline bits you need.
so if your breaking it how much for ac radiator,nsr light cluster,and front wings if theyre not rusty!

What are the wheels like fella I am after set for mine, oh and the steering wheel and air bag? Sort a deal out?

I've been looking for an S-Line lower grill for 3 years now, think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I'd be interested in the heater actuator motors and maybe the boot lid if it's rust free as mine has a little rust patch on it and it looks the same colour as mine.

I just need the rear caps off the headlights, and the bulb clips for the N/S if you have any spare ;)

Cheers lads :) it is very tidy, near mint inside. I have literally drove it home and straightight in the lockup at the mo. I need to check the condition of everything then find out what its all actually worth. I have a fair idea from breaking the silver one though ;)

slightly off topic but why the hell would you want a say old K reg engine in a 2007 corsa in beyond me

it was a mate who wanted something different, one of those kind of never seen before things. I accepted the challenge as one of those 'it cant be done' conversions. The whole car is canbus. The electronic steering doesnt work unless the engine is running and moving. The clocks wont work unless the engine is running, infact the whole central canbus module for the car wont come out of standby unless the engine is running, on the engine that doesnt have a canbus bone in its body. Plus corsa d's are small block transmission but 2.0's are big block.

But I did it, everything works, clocks, speedo, epas the lot ;)

It was a hell of a sleeper though haha

Reactions: kanecullen89
Wicked thread, enjoyed that.
Audi looks great now its lowered. Top Work

The C20XE / C20LET "red tops" are probably seen as the best engines ever made by Vauxhall / Opel and have quite abit of a cult following.

Reactions: Chrismawa, kanecullen89 and cnut
yeah great engine those, very basic and simple to work on and the non turbo red top was 150 brake standard before you even did anything to it, had a red top in a nova when i was 17,great fun untill somone told my mum i was chasing a lancia delta down an a road at 100 odd miles an hour, she quickly removed me off insurance and made me sell the car lol, she didnt even know i'd bought a cavalier gsi and did the transplant from a 1.3 sr over the weekend!!
glad im abit more sensible now im a family guy!

The redtops were great engines. Very strong and great performers.
Much better than the ecotec (GM) crap they fit now.

Bit of progress today, started stripping the blue one today

Twin intercoolers :whip:

getting naked

started with the passenger airbag deactivation switch mod.

Pop out recess was already in the glovebox

switch in, looms were already there :)

And the indicator panel in

While the glovebox was out, I thought id get rid of the wood with a donation of the blue one again.

wasnt sure if the black would suit the light interior, but I think it looks great :)

The deactivation switch does work with the light. But its put the airbag light perminatly on the dash. So im guessing im going to let vagcom tell it its been added.

Last edited:
cracking thread mate. love a good build thread and this is one of the better ones ive seen in a long time!

that white avant... oh my... i love white cars and i love the b6 avant. but in white... quattro... oft. lol

if by any chance you're selling bits off the blue one... i'm after a 5 spoke alloy wheel. lol

Excellent......I have had my glovebox off a few times and never seen a loom there for the air bag switch..........was it hiding somewhere.

Not actually looked for it to be honest but still want it LOL

They key lock isnt actually a barrel, its just a switch, you can turn it with a key, screwdriver, anything flat.

I had to swap the loom from the glovebox over as it didnt have the extra plug in, but it was all in my car loom. Some cars have it in the car loom and some dont. i found an old thread with a search that said the way to check if your car is retrofit ready is check the plug going into your overhead light and if it has pins in 4 & 7 then you have, as thats the signal for the passenger deactivation light, and i did :) if not its ALOT of wiring.

im going to have to plug vagcom in though as the airbag light is now permanently on so may need an activation/reset.

Reactions: Welshquattro