TFSI 140 COD: vibrations in 2-cyl mode

Well - my wife's Fiat 500 twinair is also 2 cylinder - it runs a lot better than the 1.4 engine on 2 cylinder. The Fiat sound like hell - but run fine without big vibrations. It has some vibrations - but no as big as in the ACT/COD from VW/Audi (a car for twice the amount here in DK).
Unfortunately the V-power is not available here in Denmark anymore... so cant test that.
There are other forums with people complaining about the engine - in Denmark http://www.vagcars.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95106&start=90 and in Germany http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/rumble-and-vibrations-golf7-tsi-140-dsg-t4733542.html?page=2

Last edited:
All I can say to you is have a drive in my A3, then drive our 3-cylinder Fiesta. Then perhaps you'll realise where VW must be getting it wrong and Ford, well it's a Ford but if your VW is anything like that I'd be worried.

Last edited:
Going back one of previous answers, they will never get a two cylinder engine to run as completely smooth as a 4 cylinder as the more cylinders you have the smoother the engine will be. VAG, as far as my experience is concerned, have done a fantastic job in ironing out in any perceivable vibrations the 1.4 gives out in 2 cylinder mode, try driving a Ford Fiesta with a three cylinder ecoboost engine and you'll know what I mean.

Good point, my first car was a 10 year old (at the time) Polo 1.2 - 3cylinder 12 valve and on idle you could feel the engine jigging about. It was not that smooth, especially when pulling away it sounded like a tractor - but very nice, loved the car. Problem being with this car is it's so smooth so you do pick up on it, but the jolt when it changes from 4 to 2 cylinders the odd time is quite down heartening.

FIAT do a 0.7 Twin air (or 0.8, I think it depends if it's the 500 or Punto) and that thing sounds like a lawnmower and I bet shakes like one!

I love the sound the Fiesta makes though, far better than the rather too muted Audi engine. See I don't get that vibration on my car at all, I can induce a different one especially when the engine is cold, but then it won't go into 2 cylinder mode at that temperature anyway. Nothings perfect, thank god, there will always be cars with certain 'foibles' making one different from the other, a bit like people. Doesn't that make life more interesting?

I've been driving about a bit with the regular unleaded and can honestly say I notice the 2 cylinder mode a lot more now, I think I might go back to V-Power, for some reason it ran a lot nicer, didn't vibrate much at all. Same can't be said at the moment, I don't know how long it takes for the ECU to adjust though.

What might be better if Audi would not let the car go into 2 cylinder mode under 35 MPH. I mainly notice the vibrations at 30mph, never noticed them at 60mph.

The ecu engine timings take less than an second to change both ignition and valve timings. Can you be sure that the differences you found between the two fuels are under the exact same driving, engine and ambient conditions...

The ecu engine timings take less than an second to change both ignition and valve timings. Can you be sure that the differences you found between the two fuels are under the exact same driving, engine and ambient conditions...

Right well I think then that v-power definitely ran a lot nicer in that case. I first had normal unleaded in it, and noticed these vibrations then I filled up twice (two full tanks) and didn't notice this as much, now I have normal unleaded in and notice it a lot more. we have a nice new resurfaced road outside and I notice it most there, but didn't notice as much with v-power. And I am sure about that.

Just to clarify it isn't 100% gone with v-power it's just a lot less noticeable. I've never noticed the steering wheel vibrate but I have with the normal fuel. I'll put v-Power back in I think

Ok, at the end of the day its up to you, using different fuels can be a hot topic so I won't start another fuel arguement..

Well, having had mine for 1800 miles now, I can report that yes, there is a slight vibration sometimes in 2-cylinder mode around the 2000rpm mark. That said, it's very subtle and I don't notice it at all most of the time.

I think this is an inherent trait of the engine, just that there's some slight variation between units and different people have different sensitivities to it.

I also think there is absolutely zero change of Audi ever "doing anything about it". It's something inherent to this engine and I doubt that can be changed via software. As for disclosure about this "issue", seriously?! If it bothers you that much, didn't you notice it on the test drive? You did take a test drive before purchasing didn't you?

It's like claiming the car is defective because your diesel engine is a bit coarser than you'd expected.

Reactions: cuke2u
I agree with

>> I think this is an inherent trait of the engine, just that there's some slight variation between units and different people have different sensitivities to it

but not so much with

>> As for disclosure about this "issue", seriously?! If it bothers you that much, didn't you notice it on the test drive? You did take a test drive before purchasing didn't you? It's like claiming the car is defective because your diesel engine is a bit coarser than you'd expected.

It's safe to assume that a typical car buyer knows diesel engines are coarser than petrol engines, even without a test drive. But it's much less known that "cylinder deactivation" in a petrol engine causes some vibrations. You can't assume people will know that, or ask for a test drive to find out just that.

I test drove an a1 with the 1.4 cod and didn't notice any vibrations

dkpeter had a software update - first it seemed that it helped - but he returned later and told it was the same as before. Think dkpeter have sold his car - only because of these vibrations.
I have vibrations too (and I hate them very much) - and both the Danish dealer and importing company have had technicians test-driving my car and the all acknowledge that the vibrations are from ACT. In fact I have 6 different types of interference from ACT system (all acknowledged by importing company !) - the small jump from engine when activation/deactivating ACT is the most annoying one. Yesterday I counted 9 clearly identified "jumps" inside a drive of 9 kilometers - and that was a fully normal drive (rpm around 2.000 all the time - advice from VW to minimize the vibration). VW will do nothing and I have told them that the marketing material they use is illegal - you can not sell a product that "have undetectable switch between 4- and 2- cylinder mode" - and at the same time confirm both the vibrations and "jumps" as referring to the ACT system. Answer was they can't sell the product if they warn about the vibrations... well - then they keep important information from their customers... this is also illegal.

LarsR - FDM is right now running a case against dealer and import company - on my behalf. I'am not happy with the ACT system - and want them to code the engine - so I don't have these jumps and vibrations. And I want them to return the prices paid for the ACT system. System doesn't full fill the product expectations I had to ACT and it ruins the whole car experience. Dealer didn't warn me - and a testdrive I had in another car - showed that it can work fine (this car didn't have any jumps or vibrations).

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
For some legal reason FDM could not help me since the leasing contract was a company lease and my membership was personal. I will however inform my company and the leasing company about this new situation, perhaps another FDM membership handles matters like this.
I had to return the car after 40 days, I can not live with a car, where the steering wheel vibrates like the wheels is out of balance. I have the deepest respect for car enthusiasts that accepts this new feature, I'm old school I know.
One last test drive for 2.000 km confirmed the vibration problems, as with most vibration problems there are harmonic frequency vibrations. The vibrations mentioned around 2.000 rpm are only the most significant vibrations, the vibrations will almost disappear only to reappear with less amplitude at other rpm's like below 3.000. The vibrations can also produce an annoying tone, especially for backseat passengers, like when you open only one window slightly. This drumming noice is suppressed in the Audi V8 by an ANC (Anti Noice Control) when running on 4 cylinders, see http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_7153.shtml , but there are no ANC system in the 1.4 TFSI cars.

Is this most evident on Manual cars? Because I haven't felt a thing in my s-tronic since picking it up last month. I've been looking out for it, but I think it changes gear before it starts to vibrate.

No, because most of the manual cars don't have it either, just a minority of two owners that feel a slight vibration that they feel is unacceptable...

Is this most evident on Manual cars? Because I haven't felt a thing in my s-tronic since picking it up last month. I've been looking out for it, but I think it changes gear before it starts to vibrate.

Maybe you have a newer software version, I'll find out when I service it at the end of the year.

And @cuke2u I strongly disagree, mine are very noticeable, my dad never notices anything that is not very noticeable, he's the most relaxed man and says that cars will have noises and fiddly bits no matter what, and he noticed the vibrations through the steering wheel and pedals, and you can hear it vibrating, not only that if you do 2.5k revs in 2nd gear it vibrates very violent. It really is a shame because the engine is excellent, but this 2 cyl crap ruins it. However, these vibrations aren't noticeable under lighter loads, but if you accelerate a bit to a higher load or what ever does it, it becomes very noticeable. The same for if you listen to it outside, sometimes you cannot detect it is in 2 cylinder, then adjust your foot slightly and it vibrates and sounds like it is going to stall (with the windows down). If you then adjust your foot enough you can feel it come out of 2 cyl and it's as smooth as anything.
I think it's on while there's too much load, if it was reduced it wouldn't be noticeable, because as I said I never always notice it, but most times I do.
The second worst thing is the jolt you get when it comes in or out of 2 cyl, these are worse at low speeds, 2 cyl comes on so much in town when your stop starting all the time and it keeps taking the engine by surprise so you keep getting jolts if you adjust the accelerator or let off it, brake or what ever. It's frustrating, I hate driving in town with this car.
On the motorway or fast roads it's perfect, although again when coming off the accelerator or back on it sometimes it jolts very slightly but I don't mind too much.

If Audi reduced the load that it came on at, and especially the amount it comes on, or the revs or what ever the heck needs adjusting I'm sure it will be near perfect, because as I've said before (sorry I'm repeating myself) it's not noticeable sometimes, even down the same road. It's not always jolting, I'm sure it just needs tweaks, after all it's a new engine and we are basically the testers of this engine, of course there will be little things like this, hell this engine must be very complicated.

Hopefully there is a software update that is in the newer a3's that's why mjcourtney doesn't notice it, or it could be that s tronics are a lot smoother (but surely if the s tronic is smooth then so should the manual, it must need adjusting) which then makes my regret even more because I should've got the s tronic I still say that now. This car is going to last me 10 years because I probably won't be able to afford one again, I did it because I love cars and wanted something nice while I could afford it. It's a shame that from what is a great car and a great engine it's ruined by that 2 cyl, I'm sure I heard that the new Passat with ACT lost a star because of the jolts and vibrations. It might even just be for some and not for others, like the metallic rustle from the s3. If that's the case, it makes me feel quite downhearted. I don't want to get rid of the car, I can somewhat put up with it just because of everything else the car is excellent at.

I don't necessarily disagree with you at all, your car might have an inherent issue that the dealership hasn't been able too, or be bothered, to find. As the majority of audi a3 1.4 cod do not have similar traits I feel that there could be a fault with a small number of cars that might have this issue. This could be due to a bad batch of some componant or it being sourced from a different supplier. I can only suggest what to do about it and that is obtain to indepedendant advice to prove that your car has an issue. There is a limit to what we can do to help you in a forum...

I've had my 1.4 COD for nearly for 6 weeks and I have not once noticed it go into 2 cylinder mode , im starting to wonder if it even does go into 2 cylinders ! Im sure ive read somewhere that it displays it on the dash but I have never seen it if it does .

Go to the economy readout setting on the DIS, its not obvious but the manual will help...

Reactions: wooder
In that case, maybe there is a new software version? I've got in contact with my dealer and had no reply so far, if I still don't get one i'll just wait until Dec when I get it serviced.

Mine is. December 2013 build so, as mine has no issue, maybe it is the later builds. Is yours a 150ps?

Mine is. December 2013 build so, as mine has no issue, maybe it is the later builds. Is yours a 150ps?

Yeah, but I've read of people with problems from 2013 too. It's just an unlucky trait then, seems as though it's a waste of time going to the dealer as they'd most likely say there's nothing wrong! I know they will

Picked mine up in March 2015 and I haven't noticed the car switching between 2 Cylinder mode and 4 cylinder mode. But I tend to keep it in Dynamique Mode around town...not sure if this has a bearing on it ??

Decided to try and experiment with different engine speeds and gears to see if I could produce any noticeable vibrations.

In D/Auto mode there were no noticeable vibrations when the DIS indicated it was in 2 Cylinder Mode. I tried gentle and hard acceleration, both on hills and flats and couldn't detect anything.

I then switched to manual mode, and deliberately maintained speeds to keep the RPM at around 2k. Interestingly I did start to notice some slight vibration through the steering wheel, but almost negligible. If I hadn't been deliberately trying to induce it, and be watching out for it I really wouldn't have noticed. Specifically only noticeable when putting the engine under gentle and sustained load at 2k rpm. In my view this vibration is totally acceptable, and if the DIS didn't show the 2 cylinder mode I wouldn't be able to spot it even in manual mode.

I wonder whether some of those owners who are reporting more severe vibrations have issues with their engine mounts? I guess its something which could loosen up over time and therefore get worse with mileage.

So in conclusion, nothing to complain about on my MY15 1.4cod s-tronic. Delighted with it :)

Mine is a 1.4 COD 150 manual, manufactured in May 2014. I experience no vibration and am unaware of transitions between 2 and 4 cylinder mode. It's only from the DIS that I can tell which mode the engine is in.

I haven't spotted the vibration yet on my 2015 A3 1.4 COD.

However I definitely can hear the car engine sound/tone change when it's in 2-cyl. It's a smooth sound (inside the car, windows up). I wish I could force it to stay on 2 cylinders just so I can try it out!

Just been on a drive with my mate, I put it in dynamic for engine and comfort for steering - absolutely love dynamic mode, very responsive - although I then went on the A14 and when adjusting my foot down to get a brisk acceleration from 70 to 80 (because the fast lane has fast people in haha) I noticed it jolted quite a bit, in fact mostly holding back then jolting to accelerate, I can't understand why nobody else gets this. Also had vibrations at certain times, depending on how much I had my foot on the accelerater.

The engine though, is amazing. Mine is just ruined by that 2 cylinder - I can't get my head round how some people get it and some don't. Not sure if it's software or parts sourced from some other manufacturer. If it's that, I want the better engine! Haha.

What is the chance that mine (well everyone's) leaves the factory with original software, and it's up to the dealer to do checks that the software is current before it is handed over, and mine wasn't? I doubt that it doesn't make sense..

When you say jolting, is that just the gearbox kicking down gear to match your increased throttle demand? (Or is yours a manual?)

Don't get me wrong, I do feel the vibrations, but they seem perfectly acceptable to me. If I was in your position I'd ask to borrow a dealer demonstrator to see if the symptoms persist in another car. Would give you an idea if there was anything wrong with yours specifically.

I do notice some jolting now and then, but very small. It sometimes notice it a little more when are driving at around 1300 rpm, which is the lower limit where cylinder deactivation works. But the jolting is very minor for me.

As for the vibrations, well, I'm getting kind of used to them. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to have the sat nav maps updated. I'll ask them if there's some update for the engine software as well. I told them I had read about an update [on this thread], but they naturally made fun of me and questioned the validity of Internet forums as sources of information :)

I do notice some jolting now and then, but very small. It sometimes notice it a little more when are driving at around 1300 rpm, which is the lower limit where cylinder deactivation works. But the jolting is very minor for me.

As for the vibrations, well, I'm getting kind of used to them. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to have the sat nav maps updated. I'll ask them if there's some update for the engine software as well. I told them I had read about an update [on this thread], but they naturally made fun of me and questioned the validity of Internet forums as sources of information :)

Well, ignore what they say. None of us bulls*t here :)

It'd be great to hear if you have any updates... I've just found something out, and i'm rather shocked.

After my trip around in dynamic (love it, throttle is insane) I found it strange why the jolts were even worse, so I sat at home on the drive before picking my girlfriend up this evening (well, yesterday now) and I set Individual from Engine, Dynamic to Auto - I left the steering in comfort. I tried this, because I remembered back to when I collected the car, as I never noticed any jolts or vibrations and I did have the car in auto.

For some reason, it drives like a dream in this mode. I've just done 20 miles and it's been the best 20 miles in that car so far, not one jolt. Even when blasting it from 70 to 80 like I did in dynamic. As for vibrations, I noticed the slightest ones at low speeds - as @mjcourtney has said, these are very very slight and perfectly acceptable, and I agree. I would have to concentrate to actually detect these vibrations.

But why? Why are all other modes horrid, then auto is fine? It would though to me point to software, so we can only wait and see what Audi do - if anything, but mine is staying in Auto. I actually had a smile on my face for once driving it, it was nice to actually have a smooth powerful ride, and not a jolting/vibrating one... The only complaint I have now is the amount of fly corpses on my front end, I think I might clean it tomorrow :p

When you say jolting, is that just the gearbox kicking down gear to match your increased throttle demand? (Or is yours a manual?)

Don't get me wrong, I do feel the vibrations, but they seem perfectly acceptable to me. If I was in your position I'd ask to borrow a dealer demonstrator to see if the symptoms persist in another car. Would give you an idea if there was anything wrong with yours specifically.

Mines a manual. I notice them (read above first) when I come off the gas or on, or when cruising and wanting to speed up, it lags back then jolts out of 2 cyl. The vibrations are mostly noticeable at 30mph, if I twitch my foot that bit more it'll sometimes deactivate smoothly or jolt, then the vibrations disappear. It's almost like it's struggling and not deactivating like it should do.

However, as I said if you read above I've found that auto mode for engine seems to make this 99% better... Very weird, I might have old software - or a form of glitch in it, who knows... Or it's the way the manuals are, and audi need to tweak them.

Well I drove mine back from work in the dynamic setting, normally it's in auto, and too me it was even better than before. Even the slight vibration that I could induce by having the revs too low was gone. Sure was a blast driving with that setting as the engine dynamics, as the name suggests, certainly was transformed...

Of course I do give credit to the information provided here (and also on the Spanish forum, where I'm also active). But it's hard to convince the mechanic guys on the basis of something you've "read on the Internet" :)

It's great you found a sweet spot with dynamic drive control. My car doesn't have that so I can't try it :-(

I left the car in the garage this morning to have the maps updated. I talked to them about the TPI dkpeters kindly provided in this thread. It showed up on their computer (only version /3, not /1 --- seems to be a more recent update). The description said it solves (or diminishes) vibrations and jolting, so spot on. They were unsure whether it was applicable to my specific car, but they've just confirmed it is, and they are going to apply the update. I really hope it will help. I'll report here.

Well, ignore what they say. None of us bulls*t here :)

It'd be great to hear if you have any updates... I've just found something out, and i'm rather shocked.

After my trip around in dynamic (love it, throttle is insane) I found it strange why the jolts were even worse, so I sat at home on the drive before picking my girlfriend up this evening (well, yesterday now) and I set Individual from Engine, Dynamic to Auto - I left the steering in comfort. I tried this, because I remembered back to when I collected the car, as I never noticed any jolts or vibrations and I did have the car in auto.

For some reason, it drives like a dream in this mode. I've just done 20 miles and it's been the best 20 miles in that car so far, not one jolt. Even when blasting it from 70 to 80 like I did in dynamic. As for vibrations, I noticed the slightest ones at low speeds - as @mjcourtney has said, these are very very slight and perfectly acceptable, and I agree. I would have to concentrate to actually detect these vibrations.

But why? Why are all other modes horrid, then auto is fine? It would though to me point to software, so we can only wait and see what Audi do - if anything, but mine is staying in Auto. I actually had a smile on my face for once driving it, it was nice to actually have a smooth powerful ride, and not a jolting/vibrating one... The only complaint I have now is the amount of fly corpses on my front end, I think I might clean it tomorrow :p

Thanks, cuke2u! Keeping my fingers crossed...

I just picked the car. They say they have applied the update. Specifically it's TPI 2037323/3 (not .../1 as dkpeter's). They say it's like .../1 only newer, so the .../1 is not available anymore. It's very recent, from May 7th.

They won't give me a paper sheet with information about what they've done, or the update code. They say that kind of information doesn't show in those sheets anyway. So I have to trust them.

On my way back home I think I have noticed less vibrations. But it's a short drive and I want to test some more until coming to a conclusion. I'll wait for several days, doing my usual routes (in which I know exactly where along the route the vibrations would appear), and then I'll report here.

Reactions: mjcourtney
I don't have this issue. I can't even tell when it switches apart from the dis

Thanks, cuke2u! Keeping my fingers crossed...

I just picked the car. They say they have applied the update. Specifically it's TPI 2037323/3 (not .../1 as dkpeter's). They say it's like .../1 only newer, so the .../1 is not available anymore. It's very recent, from May 7th.

They won't give me a paper sheet with information about what they've done, or the update code. They say that kind of information doesn't show in those sheets anyway. So I have to trust them.

On my way back home I think I have noticed less vibrations. But it's a short drive and I want to test some more until coming to a conclusion. I'll wait for several days, doing my usual routes (in which I know exactly where along the route the vibrations would appear), and then I'll report here.

Your joking?! I'm phoning tomorrow to get this applied!

What should I say? Shall I just ask for my car to go in to check for updates and refer to the 2 cyl mode?

Reactions: LuisM
In the three days that I've been using the car I notice much less vibrations. They are almost gone. I can notice them sometimes but to a much lesser degree. I'm really happy about it. But I have some fear too.

ECU's adapt some parameters to the driver's style (some people say they don't, but I think they do. See here). In the update process there must have been some ECU resetting, so it must be adapting now to my driving style, and probably will be doing so for a few days / hundreds of kilometers.

I see two possibilities:
  1. It might be that the main cause of less vibrations is the resetting, and not the update. If that were the case, the vibrations might come back after the ECU adapts again.
  2. The vibrations are gone because of the update indeed, and then the improvement will be definitive.
Reasons that seem to support 1:
  • When I first took delivery of the car one year ago, in the first days I didn't notice any vibrations. Perhaps that also had to do with the ECU adaptation.
Reasons in favour of 2:
  • When user dkpeters had the update applied, after 500 km of use (so the ECU adaptation had probably already taken place) he reported in thie thread that the vibrations, although still noticeable, were not annoying anymore.
  • The update I've had applied is a newer version than he had, so it should be even better.
  • I saw the update description and it said it was related to "vibrations and jolting" in this engine.
Of course I hope the actual cause is 2, not 1. But I'll have to wait to be sure. As I said, I'll report here.

Now, to answer your question, J4MMYz: this is what I did. I took the car to the Audi dealer to have the sat nav maps updated. I also asked if there any updates for the car, specially regarding the vibrations. I made it clear that I know the vibrations are normal in this engine, but still, if they could be reduced it would be great. The man plugged the key in a kind of reader, from which they get the chassis number and some other information regarding car failures the car may have had, I think. He said there were not updates pending for my car, according to its chassis number. I think he could search keywords (such as "vibrations") to see if there was something. He tried to, but there was some network problem or something.

Then I said I had heard about some update. He was kind of skeptic initially, but when I said I had a code beginning with the letters "TPI" (I don't really know what they mean) he said "yes, with that I can certainly locate the update". So I told him the code that dkpeters provided in this thread: TPI 2037323/1. He found the update, but a newer version, ending in "/3" instead of "/1". He said it's very recent, from May 7th.

He was again skeptic that the update could be actually applied to my specific car. Apparently it depends on car options, exact engine etc. So they'd had to check. He also said the symptoms had to match for the update to be applied. So I insisted that my car did have the vibrations. I tried to be very specific to make it clear it was a real issue. I told him that vibrations are between 1300 and 2100 rpm, only in two-cylinder mode when you are stepping on the throttle (but not too much or it will enter 4-cylinder mode). I also said I noticed jolting sometimes (which is true, although much less annoying to me).

In the afternoon he called me and said yes, it could be applied. My impression was that it's something optional, not an update that is enforced by Audi to be applied; but since I asked they agreed to do it.

Then I picked the car and, as I said, the improvement is very noticeable. As I said, I'm hoping it will be definitive, and not a transient thing caused by some resetting.

My car is MY2014, 1.4 TFSI CoD 140 bhp, 6-gear manual transmission. I don't have S-line as you do, nor drive select, but I think it's very likely that you can get the update too; or else there will be some other update specific to your version. Mention the TPI code if they don't find it. Do tell them that you find the vibrations annoying, and that you also have jolts (so the update is a perfect match). If you don't they might say the update is not essential, that it doesn't need to be applied.

Your joking?! I'm phoning tomorrow to get this applied!

What should I say? Shall I just ask for my car to go in to check for updates and refer to the 2 cyl mode?

In the three days that I've been using the car I notice much less vibrations. They are almost gone. I can notice them sometimes but to a much lesser degree. I'm really happy about it. But I have some fear too.

ECU's adapt some parameters to the driver's style (some people say they don't, but I think they do. See here). In the update process there must have been some ECU resetting, so it must be adapting now to my driving style, and probably will be doing so for a few days / hundreds of kilometers.

I see two possibilities:
  1. It might be that the main cause of less vibrations is the resetting, and not the update. If that were the case, the vibrations might come back after the ECU adapts again.
  2. The vibrations are gone because of the update indeed, and then the improvement will be definitive.
Reasons that seem to support 1:
  • When I first took delivery of the car one year ago, in the first days I didn't notice any vibrations. Perhaps that also had to do with the ECU adaptation.
Reasons in favour of 2:
  • When user dkpeters had the update applied, after 500 km of use (so the ECU adaptation had probably already taken place) he reported in thie thread that the vibrations, although still noticeable, were not annoying anymore.
  • The update I've had applied is a newer version than he had, so it should be even better.
  • I saw the update description and it said it was related to "vibrations and jolting" in this engine.
Of course I hope the actual cause is 2, not 1. But I'll have to wait to be sure. As I said, I'll report here.

Now, to answer your question, J4MMYz: this is what I did. I took the car to the Audi dealer to have the sat nav maps updated. I also asked if there any updates for the car, specially regarding the vibrations. I made it clear that I know the vibrations are normal in this engine, but still, if they could be reduced it would be great. The man plugged the key in a kind of reader, from which they get the chassis number and some other information regarding car failures the car may have had, I think. He said there were not updates pending for my car, according to its chassis number. I think he could search keywords (such as "vibrations") to see if there was something. He tried to, but there was some network problem or something.

Then I said I had heard about some update. He was kind of skeptic initially, but when I said I had a code beginning with the letters "TPI" (I don't really know what they mean) he said "yes, with that I can certainly locate the update". So I told him the code that dkpeters provided in this thread: TPI 2037323/1. He found the update, but a newer version, ending in "/3" instead of "/1". He said it's very recent, from May 7th.

He was again skeptic that the update could be actually applied to my specific car. Apparently it depends on car options, exact engine etc. So they'd had to check. He also said the symptoms had to match for the update to be applied. So I insisted that my car did have the vibrations. I tried to be very specific to make it clear it was a real issue. I told him that vibrations are between 1300 and 2100 rpm, only in two-cylinder mode when you are stepping on the throttle (but not too much or it will enter 4-cylinder mode). I also said I noticed jolting sometimes (which is true, although much less annoying to me).

In the afternoon he called me and said yes, it could be applied. My impression was that it's something optional, not an update that is enforced by Audi to be applied; but since I asked they agreed to do it.

Then I picked the car and, as I said, the improvement is very noticeable. As I said, I'm hoping it will be definitive, and not a transient thing caused by some resetting.

My car is MY2014, 1.4 TFSI CoD 140 bhp, 6-gear manual transmission. I don't have S-line as you do, nor drive select, but I think it's very likely that you can get the update too; or else there will be some other update specific to your version. Mention the TPI code if they don't find it. Do tell them that you find the vibrations annoying, and that you also have jolts (so the update is a perfect match). If you don't they might say the update is not essential, that it doesn't need to be applied.

Righto, I'll get in contact with them in the morning, I'll just ask for my car to come in for an update since I have 2 cyl vibrations and jolts (mine jolts a lot actually, I find it very irritating) hopefully I'll get some joy but I know that it can be a right pain trying to get something not nessacary from a dealer unless you're paying! Hopefully they won't play the 'I don't know what you're talking about' game

Reactions: LuisM