Car cuts out over 4k RPM, seems to misfire. Hesitation

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Guys, dont know whats wrong with the car, maybe the coilpack but it's definaltly cutting out when i put my foot down hard, it just cannot handle it. If i build up slowly it seems to be fine.

I disconnected the MAF for a few days but it was doing the same thing.

Anyone else got any ideas, the engine Mgmt light flashed on and off the other day too but has not happened again since. Anyone else expeireced these problems. I dont think it's limp mode either.

Coilpacks tend to make the car misfire throughout the rev range, and I've not wanted to put my foot down when mine went so I couldn't tell you if there is an effect on the rev limit. The EMS light was intermittant first time it happened to my S3.

My car was doing exactly the same thing at about 4k.rpm. I went to Audi and they said it was the no 1 cylinder coilpack so they replaced it for free.

If it is a coilpack, it will be logged.

Have you got access to vag-com and then at least you can confirm it?

While your in there also check the condition of the spark plugs just in case there is a problem with an electrode.

oops, well i know it needs a service, massively overdue, i replaced one coil pack a while ago, cant remember which one unfortunately. So it looks like i'll have to change all of them

cheers guys, anyone got any idea on the price of these and can i order them online from anywhere, time is a factor at the moment.

if time is a factor then try and get over to a local audi or even a vw dealer and they will have them in stock. 99.9% sure of that. Very easy job to do yourself.

sorted in the car park at work. got 4 new coil packs last night and fitted them today, it seems fine, but i'll be able to test it properly on the way home.

when i spoke to audi and said i think one of my coils has gone, can they put VAg-Com on it and tell me which one is failing, they said yes but it will take an hour to diagnose. docklands Audi take the utter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif. I just said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off its cheaper to buy 4 coils and replace them all.

cheers anyway guys, you confirmed my hunch.

[ QUOTE ]
sorted in the car park at work. got 4 new coil packs last night and fitted them today, it seems fine, but i'll be able to test it properly on the way home.

when i spoke to audi and said i think one of my coils has gone, can they put VAg-Com on it and tell me which one is failing, they said yes but it will take an hour to diagnose. docklands Audi take the utter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif. I just said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off its cheaper to buy 4 coils and replace them all.

cheers anyway guys, you confirmed my hunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 mins, and some of that is getting laptop, setting it up, booting it up, making a coffee and a full scan.

about 3 mins if you head straight to engine module and check faults,

how do i know? Ive got full vagcom and last coil that failed i rang Audi assist and told them that it was a " random multiple missfire on cylinder 3."

ADT was most impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

replaced all 4 free.

Ok, I'm experiencing the same problem too. Cuts out at ~ 4k rpm.

The car engine appears to operate fine, when being revved freely. The problem only seem to appear when the car is under load. So doesn't seem like a coil pack problem.

Looks like a trip down to the dealer is on the cards.... <******>.

Coil or spark plugs always possible culprits

When my coils have gone though, they have gone if you know what I mean - didnt ever happen over a period of time, car would just be undriveable. I had an intermittient misfire on my S3 for a few months once (hesitation/slight loss of power between 4k-5k rpm), new plugs solved it. Plugs are cheap too, so worth changing as a matter of course. The 40k spark plug service interval is too long, especially if your car is chipped imo

Dunc

Ok, car is misfiring big-time now, even at idle.
Time to change a coil.
Have to try one by one..... ******!

Dont forget to check the condition of the four coloured wires leading into each coil pack, over time they become brittle and the insulation starts to crack, this gives the same symptoms as a faulty coil pack

Mine was on and off, idle was fine, but under load was when i experienced the problem.

I changed all 4. cheapest way. did it in the car park at docklands audi, they wanted to charge me 1 hour diagnostic.

Cheers for the advice chaps.
Coils are such a nightmare on audis. Guess I should really changed them all to stop it happening again.