Can you explain what is going on in this pic?

Garlo

Reaction score
Website
www.stuartgarland.com
1K0122157D

Short of giving any clues, I am interested to see if any sharp eyed mechs can assess this pic and notice anything suspicious, I think there is but id like some clarification!!

Can you explain what is going on in this pic?

Nut missing on the clamp?

Is that red cable supposed to be routed near the hot side?

Or does something look ground off on the RHS of the pic?

Last edited:
ok, im looking more at the jubilee clip on the heater matrix pipe (above EGR Cooler), possibly over pinched and possibly causing coolant loss at pressure, hence what look likes like splatter all around?????

The piece of rubber (looks like door\bonnet shut type) running to the left of the exhaust bend smoking\melting?

also: is that rusty water pipe union (right side in pic) leaking?

Last edited:
if anything I think the red item is a +12v wire , can be seen coiled in left of picture ?

missing vacuum pipe off the actuator ??

All the red pipes are vacuum hoses and are ok and in place, the egr cooler was changed last year and im thinking that was when the visible jubilee clip was put on and by the looks of it, over tightened. I think this is where the coolant leak is – anyone agree?

If you have G12 in then this usually leaves tell tale pink residue and it's reasonably easy to spot leaks.
Why was the EGR cooler changed ? . Was the coolant overdiluted with water leading to corossion in the system. If so your issue may be a leaking head gasket.

Karl.

All the red pipes are vacuum hoses and are ok and in place, the egr cooler was changed last year and im thinking that was when the visible jubilee clip was put on and by the looks of it, over tightened. I think this is where the coolant leak is – anyone agree?

That is possible, I would look to replace that section of hose and get the genuine Audi hose clam.

The cooler was replaced as it was losing coolant and smoking, it was then ok for two months then started leaking again to the point its a whole header tank every 100 miles now. No residue except for appears to be something of the like around that hose that has been over pinched - im hoping that under pressure its coming out there and burning off on the turbo and exhaust, seems to be splatter spots on various places around there. I have crawlwd over every inch of the system and cant find anything, its been pressure tested, sniff tested and all is ok, no starting issues, heating issues, smoke or leakage, so what is going on, im hoping its that dodgy hose!!

Hi looking at it the residue on the hose is probably from when the cooler was replaced and not cleaned off i agree that it may be slightly over tight but if the leak was from here the the coolant would be wet if that makes sense as its on the return side of the EGR cooler which is the hotter side. If the system has been pressure tested then it would show the leak from there pretty much instantly. If its a 2.0tdi im afraid to say that it may well be an issue with the cylinder head if your coolant loss isnt gradually as if it can be fine for a week then suddenly drops that may explain it. No amount of pressure testing will show this as it is a certain engine temperature the coolant is lost but literally blown straight out of the exhaust. Sorry if im the bearer of bad news.