Interior light package

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Hi,
Was just wondering if the A3 s-line comes with ambient lighting as standard or do you really need to add the interior lighting package to get it?
My last 2 cars had ambient lighting, as in a dim red light emitted from around the rear view mirror area, and I think I might miss it a little if it doesn't come as standard, as I haven't ordered the light package!
Cheers

You have to add it, even on the S-line. You do get a whole heap of lights with it though so it is good value, I just don't know why they didn't include it as standard!

Yes you do, it's so they can get more money out of us :whistle2:

You have to add it, even on the S-line. You do get a whole heap of lights with it though so it is good value, I just don't know why they didn't include it as standard!

It's called choice. Audi could add all sorts as standard and we may well end up paying for things we don't want. In Germany almost everything on the A3 is an option and you build a car to what you want. It's Audi UK who decide that some things will come as standard even if customers don't want it mainly because of the company car market which often will not pay for options.

Its called standard equipment plus a choice on far cheaper cars than the Audi, though I wouldn't swop mine, having come from one of those...

It's the Audi way though... you get all the choice, but you have to pay for it! Would still probably rather it that way round than have it automatically come with stuff I don't want - eg privacy glass or body kits etc. If they were standard the base price would only go up to compensate - look what happened with DAB and the price rise last year - suspiciously similar amounts! I bet the price increase this year will cover the cost of TPMS and then some...

My Focus came with more equipment as standard than I brought into with the Audi. The ambient lighting was really good, you could change it to different colours and the interior door handle illumination change to red when the door was opened...

It's the Audi way though... you get all the choice, but you have to pay for it! Would still probably rather it that way round than have it automatically come with stuff I don't want - eg privacy glass or body kits etc. If they were standard the base price would only go up to compensate - look what happened with DAB and the price rise last year - suspiciously similar amounts! I bet the price increase this year will cover the cost of TPMS and then some...

Don't you like privacy glass either? Are you sure you're not h5djr but with another profile? You are both very similar :think: :)

Reactions: Anarch
Don't you like privacy glass either? Are you sure you're not h5djr but with another profile? You are both very similar :think: :)

No, why would I want my car to look like a drug dealer owns it? It's just pretentious to me, like you don't want to see who is in the back seat. What the hell are you doing in there that needs privacy?!

My Focus came with more equipment as standard than I brought into with the Audi. The ambient lighting was really good, you could change it to different colours and the interior door handle illumination change to red when the door was opened...

That's great, but you paid for all that in the base price still!

Clearly there are strong views on privacy glass from people who a. Have probably never had it and b. Those who judge it's benefits from its appearance. Bit like buying a hi fi because it looks good rather than what it sounds like .

Our 8P black edition had pg as standard as did an A7. It keeps the interior cooler and on a darker car in particular IMHO looks good too. Our year old family Golf has standard PG which is a lot lighter than Audi use and very subtle.
We are happy to pay for pg on new S3 and any assertion of drug use is neither relevant or appropriate. What else goes on is private ;-)

Bit like buying a hi fi because it looks good rather than what it sounds like .

Without wishing to get into a ping pong internet debate, choices and options on consumer goods are littered with examples of selections made not for their primary purpose.

One that springs readily to mind are roof rails. Reading this forum, choice of roof rails (and their colour) on SB models are made more on aesthetic qualities, rather than their primary purpose. Lowered suspension (and slammmmmed cars) is frequently chosen on looks, rather than its primary function.

edit: Though why anyone would select Magnetic Ride (unless they were Tracking their car, and have perfect teeth without fillings) remains a mystery to me!

I would suggest that it isn't really up to us to judge others on the reasons for their choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: cemerson, JohnM100 and h5djr
Well that rather goes without saying. But as I said, with the Audi you pay a premium price for the brand...

That's quite true. Even with VAG cars you can get much the same 'items' at a cheaper price if you buy a VW, a Skoda or a Seat. A lot the electronics in particular are the same as are the basic platform, engines, gearboxes and running gear. In each case your pay the price according the perceived quality of the 'brand' and often for a better quality of interior. In at lot of cases the items used are even made in the same factory, engines in the Audi plant in Gyor, s-tronic gearboxes in VW plant in Kassel in Germany for example.

PA is being quite right about PG though on what it offers, plus the additional security it gives when carrying anything in the back with the seats down....

Reactions: Scott and PilotAudi
Well that rather goes without saying. But as I said, with the Audi you pay a premium price for the brand...

Agreed - but the brand is more than just the 'status' or looks that come with it - you also buy into the way they think, lay things out, their ideas of quality etc. I far prefer the layout of the 8V A3 to any other car I've seen - can't stand central consoles with dozens of buttons (Volvo seem to be good at this), or 'wacky' designs (recent Fords) trying to be different, or trying a bit too hard to be stylish/minimalist but missing the mark (BMW for me). I think Audi have got the dashboard of this car pretty perfect really, and the MMI as well - so it's that that I'm mostly buying into, and paying the premium for.

Reactions: Baldyone and BGS
Without wishing to get into a ping pong internet debate, choices and options on consumer goods are littered with examples of selections made not for their primary purpose.

One that springs readily to mind are roof rails. Reading this forum, choice of roof rails (and their colour) on SB models are made more on aesthetic qualities, rather than their primary purpose. Lowered suspension (and slammmmmed cars) is frequently chosen on looks, rather than its primary function.

edit: Though why anyone would select Magnetic Ride (unless they were Tracking their car, and have perfect teeth without fillings) remains a mystery to me!

I would suggest that it isn't really up to us to judge others on the reasons for their choices.

Absolutely Mr Eight.. I try to consider value of all options which generally are worth little on resale, hence my assertion that a better model is a better financial proposition than a lesser model + options. Also the S3 SB has a 57% RV figure whereas a 1.4COD has 44/45% making projected depreciation less on an S3 than an A3 1.4COD (in theory!)

On the Roof rails we are on our 5th A3/S3 the last 3 have had roof bars 2 Alu one Black on the 8P BE. We need them regularly! (For example half a shed is off to France 3 days after we get the new S3 on 1 March. I also think they look good but wouldn't buy them for that reason alone.. as I wouldn't buy B&O because I liked the look of the speaker grills alone!

Back on Topic.. the ILP is great and useful and I would pay for it... unfortunately as we want a Pano roof too you have to have it!!.

We have privacy glass because it helps keep direct sun off the dog when we do long journeys in summer.

Yes we have the air con on and no we don't leave our dog in the car, but it does help keep it a bit cooler.

I have privacy glass because I think it looks good. No other reason.
Clearly, there are mixed feelings on the aesthetics of it. I wish it was darker.

Reactions: vakaviti, jimladallen and veeeight
I have privacy glass because I think it looks good. No other reason.
Clearly, there are mixed feelings on the aesthetics of it. I wish it was darker.

That's as good a reason as any for choosing it. If you like the appearance of the car with the privacy glass you the only one that matters and you don't have to justify your choice to anyone.

Reactions: vakaviti, cemerson, veeeight and 1 other person
Seems to be one of the reasons for buying a pano roof as well...

Reactions: veeeight
Seems to be one of the reasons for buying a pano roof as well...

We spend a lot of time abroad and if we don't take the convertible like to have a pano roof open. It also lightens up the interior. Another option we find of use. Not sure it looks any different on our Phantom Black cars.

Just kill me now.

Some people just don't get it.

To the OP: No, the ambient light does not come as standard on the S-Line. The "Red Bar LED" ambient light only comes as part of the Interior Light Pack. Though I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to retrofit the whole interior light pod.

Reactions: JohnM100 and PilotAudi
Just kill me now.

Some people just don't get it.

To the OP: No, the ambient light does not come as standard on the S-Line. The "Red Bar LED" ambient light only comes as part of the Interior Light Pack. Though I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to retrofit the whole interior light pod.

The interior light package consists of more than just the "Red Bar LED" thought...

Interior light package. Anti-glare lighting for the passenger compartment comprising door sill and footwell lighting at the front as well as illuminated inside door openers, vanity mirrors and illuminated cup holders, 2 reading lights each at the front and rear, LED interior ambient lighting and active door reflectors.

Quite involved to retro-fit all of the items and no doubt would cost a lot more than the £170 option on a S-Line and S3 and £225 on the SE and Sport. If you order the Xenon light package or LED light package you get the interior light package as part of those packages.

Dave, the OP in Post #1 asked specifically only about the ambient light, which is provided by the Red Bar LED.

This, on its own, should be easily retrofittable.

Dave, the OP in Post #1 asked specifically only about the ambient light, which is provided by the Red Bar LED.

This, on its own, should be easily retrofittable.

OK point taken. It's just that any one else reading this thread may think the whole ILP can be easily retro fitted. As you say though the LED light strip alone should be quite straight forward but I think I remember reading in an earlier thread that you have to change the complete front interior light unit. Also looking at the workshop manual it does say that if an LED is defective the whole roof light unit must be replaced. Current cost of that is around £56.

Thanks guys for all your input, appreciate it!
Think I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and asking if it's not too late to add the ILP to my order, although I fear it might be, my car was build week 8!

£170 option on a S-Line and S3 and £225 on the SE and Sport. If you order the Xenon light package or LED light package you get the interior light package as part of those packages.

When we realised that the Xenon light package cut the cost of the comfort pack in half and included the interior light pack we added it. Made the package good value. Effectively the Xenons are then only £720 (?) extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: cemerson
Thanks guys for all your input, appreciate it!
Think I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and asking if it's not too late to add the ILP to my order, although I fear it might be, my car was build week 8!
We are build week 8 also. This is build week 6? I read here that the build is locked 4 weeks before build date.

Good luck.

+1. we're week 7 now. you won't be able to change your order sadly :(
We added the Xenon light package on Friday 24th Jan. If that was the last day of build week 4 then there were only 3 full weeks until build week 8. Is that right?