8V VCDS Mods

Does anyone know what I need to change in VCDS to activate the door mirror dimming ? - my powerfold motor is noisy so I've bought a mirror chassis to replace it that has this function and electrical connectors so might as well buy the glass and try to get this working. Thanks !!
This is something I have not looked in to as yet but I believe no coding is needed, just power as all the "smarts" are in the glass. This would account for the high cost of the replacements. I will know more in about 10 days though as my new car has them from factory.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hello, someone have tried to connect a Facelift with OBDEleven? I just received two days ago and I can't see the coding on the Module 09, all appears with 0000000...

Someone with the same problem?

Regards,
Mike.
Three possible reasons for this:
  1. ODB11 needs to be updated with new label files for the new module.
  2. The module in question could now be SVM (Software Version Management) controlled.
  3. The module requires a DoIP connection.
Would suggest its number 1 but would not be surprised if number 2 also plays a part as this happened to the ABS module on the RS3 8P. Number 3 is how many modules in the new MLB platform communicate. If this turns out to be the case in the 8V FL then VCDS Hex-Net will be needed as the Hex-Can cable cannot be updated and cannot handle the communication speeds needed.

Suggest a google to learn more about SVM, SWaP (Software as a Product) and DoIP (Diagnostic over Internet Protocol).

This is something I have not looked in to as yet but I believe no coding is needed, just power as all the "smarts" are in the glass. This would account for the high cost of the replacements. I will know more in about 10 days though as my new car has them from factory.

Excellent - thanks Alex !

New car sounds like a cracking spec you must be getting excited ? ;o)

Excellent - thanks Alex !

New car sounds like a cracking spec you must be getting excited ? ;o)
Not a problem :)

Having to strip all the mods off and out of my current car is killing the excitement of getting the new one lol That and I am not looking forward to completing a winter protection detail on collection day in the current cold weather as could not be ***** with paying Audi to badly apply the £500 "Williams" protection pack they tried to sell me.

Car has every option bar Advanced key, ACC, Side Assist, Park Assist Plus and Full Leather. Hate full leather with a passion but have opted for Mono Pur. Although I have already completed MMIv2 and VC retrofits etc the idea is to have a car which I can reverse engineer the factory settings, as all until now has been based on lengthy testing.

Lots of stuff to play with there Alex. Look forward to seeing what you find.

I know what you mean about winter detailing. My car is filthy at the moment, and the very thought of spending even an hour on a basic wash and brush up is horrifying.

Lots of stuff to play with there Alex. Look forward to seeing what you find.

I know what you mean about winter detailing. My car is filthy at the moment, and the very thought of spending even an hour on a basic wash and brush up is horrifying.
Indeed! Just got done with making up a new cable for VCP so I can hit the floor running :) Been a while since I had the soldering iron out.

IMG 4877 squashed

I can see myself getting some workshop time in order to complete the detail. Not a bad thing actually as I can have the car on power at the same time in order to dump all the data from the control modules.

Reactions: Aoon_M and Rob2k68
Just had a M17 A3 8V 150TDI in for some mods. The following worked without issue:
  1. Alarm Beep on Lock
  2. Alarm Beep on Unlock
  3. Tone when Locking MMI Control Menu
  4. Automatic Rain Closing
  5. Motorway Lights
  6. Rain Lights
  7. Lap Timer Display in Virtual Cockpit
  8. Oil Temp Display in Virtual Cockpit
  9. Sports Display Mode in Virtual Cockpit (G Meter)
  10. Video in Motion
  11. MMI Menu Usage Restriction Removal (speed limits)
  12. Wiper Service Position MMI Menu
I tested Optical Parking Display, the car in question only had rear sensors, but could not get this working in the time I had to play around.

IMG 4885 squashed IMG 4886 squashed

awesome.

I got 1 & 2 working lol

That new cable you made does that mean VCDS is going to have limited functionality on the 8v FL cars? another interface required?

awesome.

I got 1 & 2 working lol

That new cable you made does that mean VCDS is going to have limited functionality on the 8v FL cars? another interface required?
The new cable* is for use with Vag Can Professional as they have just updated the client to include Diagnostic Over IP. I need to complete more testing but with what I have seen so far VCDS + Hex Can cables are going to be a little limited when used with FL cars. The same goes for Hex Net as VCDS as an application does not support some of the needed programming methods.

*VCP can use custom cables as the software protection is held within an additional USB sim key card.

For VIM you will also need the VIM expansion pack and VIM manager add-ons. VIM pack is approx £80 and VIM Manager is £179. VCP core app is approx £250 + £60 a year support fee (approx).

don't mind the £250 but £60 a year is not so good.

VIM is going to cost then!!

Yeah if I go VIM. Not sure its worth it. done it in other cars but never really used the function.

Yeah if I go VIM. Not sure its worth it. done it in other cars but never really used the function.

As much as I love VCDS for VIM OBD11 is hard to beat especially if you already have an android device.

If you have an iOS device only, Carista finally have the beta about ready to go to final version and onto the app store.

Just got another email this morning from them to try out a few more functions and report back - looking good.

Iv been looking at a new TTrs today, the virtual cockpit has additional displays with power/ torque dials. Does anyone know if this is an option that can be coded into the new A3s with virtual cockpit.

Just had a M17 A3 8V 150TDI in for some mods. The following worked without issue:
  1. Alarm Beep on Lock
  2. Alarm Beep on Unlock
  3. Tone when Locking MMI Control Menu
  4. Automatic Rain Closing
  5. Motorway Lights
  6. Rain Lights
  7. Lap Timer Display in Virtual Cockpit
  8. Oil Temp Display in Virtual Cockpit
  9. Sports Display Mode in Virtual Cockpit (G Meter)
  10. Video in Motion
  11. MMI Menu Usage Restriction Removal (speed limits)
  12. Wiper Service Position MMI Menu
I tested Optical Parking Display, the car in question only had rear sensors, but could not get this working in the time I had to play around.

View attachment 111230 View attachment 111231

Hi Alix! could you explain how can I code the sports display mode? It works ok? The G force is showed correctly?

Regards,
Mike.

Hi Alix! could you explain how can I code the sports display mode? It works ok? The G force is showed correctly?

Regards,
Mike.
Unfortunately this is still a work in process. I was able to activate the display / graphic but when tested is would not show any readings. Will be investigating further from Thursday once my own car arrives and should be in a position to post up a lot of information come the weekend.

Anybody had any luck with permanent coming home/leaving lghts in the LED headlights. Cant seem to find coding that will over ride the auto lights on

Last edited:
Yeah, the usual coding i have used on many other cars isnt there on the 8v
Do you have a Rain Light and Humidity sensor? If yes then you need to play with the ambient light trigger thresholds in order to trick the sensor in to thinking it's darker out than it really is.
  1. (6)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Infrarot-Messung
  2. (10)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Forward-Messung
Both settings are in "lx".

*Messing with this might mess up your Auto lights on/off thresholds If you have an RLHS.

If you don't have an RLHS then I believe there is a way you can kinda get this working. I believe it was posted early on within this thread so you will need to search / do some reading.

Edit:

Just been searching Youtube and the following showed up while looking for something else, and is the post I was talking about:

Select Security Access 16
Codice 31347 confermare con Do it!
Adaptation 10 1 Comfort illumination-Comming Home Verbaustatus mettere Manual
3 Comfort illumination Manueeistellung impostare il valore in secondi

L'accensione dei fendinebbia degli anabbaglianti e dei led posteriori avviene soltanto dando un colpo di abbaglianti prima di scendere dalla nostra A3

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the startup screen on the FIS, I notice S3s have the S3 logo, RS3s have the RS3 logo, but the A3 just shows a giant digital clock.

I saw this http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-a3-8v/fis-display-logo.php

Is that coding linked above accessible in VCDS/obdeleven ?

00 = A3 (Standard / OFF)

Does OFF mean there is no logo for the vanilla A3?

Reactions: gamegenie
Do you have a Rain Light and Humidity sensor? If yes then you need to play with the ambient light trigger thresholds in order to trick the sensor in to thinking it's darker out than it really is.
  1. (6)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Infrarot-Messung
  2. (10)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Forward-Messung
Both settings are in "lx".

*Messing with this might mess up your Auto lights on/off thresholds If you have an RLHS.

If you don't have an RLHS then I believe there is a way you can kinda get this working. I believe it was posted early on within this thread so you will need to search / do some reading.

Edit:

Just been searching Youtube and the following showed up while looking for something else, and is the post I was talking about:

Select Security Access 16
Codice 31347 confermare con Do it!
Adaptation 10 1 Comfort illumination-Comming Home Verbaustatus mettere Manual
3 Comfort illumination Manueeistellung impostare il valore in secondi

L'accensione dei fendinebbia degli anabbaglianti e dei led posteriori avviene soltanto dando un colpo di abbaglianti prima di scendere dalla nostra A3

It does have a RLHS and i didnt want to hamper the auto facilities of the actual lights etc.

At the very least would expect DRLS to come on when unlocking. My SQ5 has auto lights but the DRLs come on when locking and unlocking.

New version of Carista is now live

Supports customisation of the S3 8V

20 of 100 beta customisations released - rest still in test

Luckily I got the app before they changed their pricing model

Last edited:
Guys if I attempt the tpms mod and I get problems ; is it a simple matter of putting back in my original code to revert changes ?
I want to try it but I would like to know, same question for rain closing windows . I have 2013 1.8tfsi fwd. on a side note I successfully did the following mods
Alarm chirp on lock/unlock
Enable/disable drls
Visual rear parking aid
Wiper service position in mmi
lap timer menu
Oil temperature display
Gauge sweep

Oh and thanks so much dj alix for all the notes and testing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix
Guys if I attempt the tpms mod and I get problems ; is it a simple matter of putting back in my original code to revert changes ?
I want to try it but I would like to know, same question for rain closing windows . I have 2013 1.8tfsi fwd. on a side note I successfully did the following mods
Alarm chirp on lock/unlock
Enable/disable drls
Visual rear parking aid
Wiper service position in mmi
lap timer menu
Oil temperature display
Gauge sweep

Oh and thanks so much dj alix for all the notes and testing !!!

You should be able to revert back to your previous coding as long as you make lots of notes to reference and are using genuine and up to date VCDS. Cannot comment for ODBeleven etc

You should be able to revert back to your previous coding as long as you make lots of notes to reference and are using genuine and up to date VCDS. Cannot comment for ODBeleven etc

Yes I bought the basic package from Ross tech .

So when you say make notes to reference , you mean basically undo the exact steps I took ? As well as replacing the long code with my original code ?

So when you say make notes to reference , you mean basically undo the exact steps I took ? As well as replacing the long code with my original code ?

Yup yup :) The more information you have the better.

Question, anyone have the coding to fold the door mirrors via a long press of the keyfob ?

That way I can be selective when I fold them rather than every time I lock the car. Think I had this setup on my mk3 Leon but can't find the coding.

Many thanks.

Question, anyone have the coding to fold the door mirrors via a long press of the keyfob ?

That way I can be selective when I fold them rather than every time I lock the car. Think I had this setup on my mk3 Leon but can't find the coding.

Many thanks.
Not possible for us I am afraid, fold on Lock and Unfold on Ignition Acc position only :(

ok guys i got the tpms to work, didnt test with a soft tyre yet tho.

the rain closing however i ran into some problems:

for one , i am only seeing
1.Regenschliessen = Permanent (Rain Closing Type)
2.Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen = Active (Driver Assist Rain Closing Menu)

note there is no _art in #1
and the third one(Regenschliessen_ein aus) is missing

also when i go to do the second part :

(09 - Central Electronics
Select Long Coding Helper
Select RLFS from Dropdown Menu)

There is no RLFS option from the drop down menu ( only options are LHD and RHD (left and right hand drive)

strange, my car has light and rain sensors as I have auto wipers and lights.

any ideas?

Anyone found how to potentially increase the actual LED headlight dipped beams brightness? If so could someone provide some guidance on how to do it?

Anyone found how to potentially increase the actual LED headlight dipped beams brightness? If so could someone provide some guidance on how to do it?
AJ, just found my notes on this. If you wanna pop over during the week fire me a PM :)

Reactions: AJ Jacob
ok guys i got the tpms to work, didnt test with a soft tyre yet tho.

the rain closing however i ran into some problems:

for one , i am only seeing
1.Regenschliessen = Permanent (Rain Closing Type)
2.Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen = Active (Driver Assist Rain Closing Menu)

note there is no _art in #1
and the third one(Regenschliessen_ein aus) is missing

also when i go to do the second part :

(09 - Central Electronics
Select Long Coding Helper
Select RLFS from Dropdown Menu)

There is no RLFS option from the drop down menu ( only options are LHD and RHD (left and right hand drive)

strange, my car has light and rain sensors as I have auto wipers and lights.

any ideas?
Are you using VCDS or VCP? If not then you might not be able to do this.

Screen Shot 2016 12 18 at 232250

With VW cars the "Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen" channel adds a menu to the MIB display. On Audi cars this does not work but this still needs to be active for the overall mod to work.

You access the RLHS / RLFS via the main Long Coding window, not via the Long Coding Helper:

OeLX4Np
*image copied from ross-tech website.

Applications other than VCDS / VCP might not support this. These days I just force the Long Coding to 06006C. Change to 07006C if you want Rain Closing + Motor Way Lights (Dipped Beams on Automatically when over 70mph)

Once all the above is completed three finger reset the MMI. In order to test this you have to simulate exiting the car as if you had been driving it e.g.:
  • Doors closed
  • Start car
  • Open windows
  • Wait a few mins
  • Turn off car
  • Exit car and lock
  • Wait one min
  • Spray water on sensor (or drum fingers on windscreen over the sensor)
  • Bow down in amazement as all your windows close and then wipe all the smear marks off your screen :)
*Rain Closing of Panoramic Sunroof is not supported by the "B" revision of the Rain Light and Humidity Sensor.