Grale1 A3 build / project ( slow build )

Guys how easy are the inlet manifold and rocker cover to get off? I'd like to get mine powered coated

Keep forgetting to ask this question and don't want to start a new thread, but my car feels like its lost some power over the last 6 months maybe longer, anyways I connected up a temp boost gauge to see what the psi reading was, when its on boost in 3rd it seems to go up to 14 psi the fall to 11-12psi, does this peak figure of 14 psi sound right for a stage 1 R-Tech map?

A3 AGU

the boost gauge I was using was a cheap crapy FK one so I know figures are prob correct but still feels underpowered

Guys can I put the roll bar from a seat cupra r on mine even tho I haven't got the tabs on my coilovers? My friend has done it on hers and just used the standard drop links into the wishbones? Is it safe enough like that as to me they done seem to line up properly?

If ur still thinking about doing ur rocker cover and inlet i have ones for sale instead of not having a car

Your inlet mani is smaller than my agu one mate, and I want to get them powder coated in yellow also lol

Cheers lee, I wasn't planing on buying another one as I was just going to take mine off and wait for it to be done as the car only really gets driven on Saturdays

So it's been quite a while since I have really done anything or bought anything for my car, for all various reasons to be honest but I thought I had better get on with something to do with it.

So a few weeks ago I bought a few bits at what I think we're good prices. First up I have needed to get a new gearbox for a while as the bearings are going in mine and crunches into gear at times etc, I found a gearbox for a car that was being broken through rear end damage, it was a low milage car but I suppose it doesn't really mean to much. I paid £115 including delivery which I thought was a pretty good price.

the second thing I got was all came from the same car at a great price, I needed a new subframe as mine has got a very small bend in it where the wishbone bolt goes in, so I came across a subframe from a 2003 seat leon cupra r which also had the steering rack and anti roll on it. The seller was pen to offers, so I thought I would be cheeky and offer him £60 for it which was accepted, there was also the delivery charge on top which was £20 on top but even at £80 I think that was a bit of a bargin as I've seen the severing rack go for more than that, I also bought a poly bush for the steering rack, which I must say I'm glad that I had the opportunist to fit that off the car as I could see that being a test of patience if the subframe and rack were still on the car.

Now I need to get new track rod ends for the rack and maybe poly bush the roll bar? And I think it may need a new driveshaft so once I find out if it's knackered that will be ordered.

ImageImage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 181
What would you guys use to clean all the crapy oil and grunge off that lot? As I was thinking of using the engine gunk stuff in the green tins.

Nice bit of progress there fella :)

Sounds like a right bargain @ £80 for the subframe and steering rack tbh

Yeah I thought it was too good a price not to lol, keeping an eye out for a few other bits and peaces then hopefully it'll get under way soon once I get another credit paid off next month, I'll start to make some progress

Was a little tight getting to a petrol station this morning, being in a rush to get home from being out and running late for work wasn't a good mix lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 257
What would you guys use to clean all the crapy oil and grunge off that lot? As I was thinking of using the engine gunk stuff in the green tins.

I used degreaser and hosed it down

Get those pixels sorted out fella ;-)

That is up near the top of the lust of things to be done, don't know who or where would do it tho?

Today I was going to refurb my wheels, as they looking ****ty and scratched and scruffy, so went to get some paint etc to do it all, then I got a call from a mate asking if I could give him a hand with his car.

Well I didn't manage to ge anything done on the wheels which I'm a little bit annoyed with as it's a job I've been putting off for ages. So I just gave it a was in the end and took a few pics, need to get a bit of paint work don't to the body at some stage a few nasty scratches here and there from where it's kept mainly.

Only had my iPhone with me and I'm crap at taking pictures,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 149
Guys, I just wondering what would look better my headlights I have on now, or a set of angel light? I'll have to look into a new set as I think one if not both are broken, when driving at night the light is bouncing around quite annoying

Hi guys, I need to refurb my wheels, I was going to do it myself but speaking to a mate the other day he said I shouldn't use a twin pack filler where they have been kurbed as it will throw the balance of the wheel out, is there any truth to this as I've never heard that before.

Simon

Over the past couple of days I've had a little bit of time to myself whilst I've had a few days off so thought I'd make a start with giving my wheels a lick of paint as they been kurbed etc, I've haven't done the greatest job on them by any means for a few reasons tbh 1 being I'd love a set of Avus s4 wheels like jardo had one his or the ronal TT's wheels, so I'm going to save for S4 ones and hope some come up for sale when I've got the money. Any how my wheels have taken a bit of a pounding over the last year and so they started to look pretty crap.

So I took to filling up all the crappy bits on the lip of the rims and then rubbed the wheels down dusted off etc then started to prime the wheels, then apply the top coats and then the lacquer, to of made them look a lot better and if I had more time I would have used filler primer first before applying a grey primer but I didn't so they look ok from a distance but up close you can see the scratched from where they have been rubbed down from the wet and dry etc.

ill post pics later of the wheels finished up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 181
Haven't done any updating for a long time. So thought I'd do a little update as I still have the car.

Well at the end of February my car failed its mot on silly little bits. So it was decided I would leave it with Phil miller as he was going to replace my gearbox also. ( kindly lent me one of his cars ). I quickly decided after a couple of weeks of not being able to collect the car through work commitments and Phil having a couple of family commitments we both thought that it would be a good idea to do a k04 conversion and also do the rods. So I went down a week or so ago to help as much as I could to take the engine out and strip it down ready for the new rods. So at the moment the engine is out and stripped down, the head is off also which is good as it had signs off the head gasket going, so the head is being sent off to be skimmed and pressure tested etc.

I need to contact Bill and see if he has any rods in stock so I can order them and the big end bearing also, I'll also be getting the turbo rebuilt also as it has side to side play and in and out also.

I managed to buy a wellycooler off a member off here for a good price, then used the fmic thread to get all the hoses and pipes ( prawns write up ).

I've also bought the s3 cast wishbones with the small nipple on them also and got poly bushes to put into them also.

I had the old blue and dark grey checkered front and rear seats which were looking really tired, I managed to get a really clean facelift leather interior for a really good price which included delivery for £160. The interior is a nice easy swap over deal which only took half hour at most. Phil is going to sort the wiring out for me as they are different plugs to what I have in the pre facelift.

I have also bought brembos off Phil also with his new discs and pads, I have had to buy 20mm spacers for them to fit behind my wheels.

There is prob early a few bits I have miss and forgotten about as the car isn't with me but I will update this more when I'm next down at phils which should be in the next couple of weeks.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Reactions: kwistof
Exciting times mate! What injectors will you be running?

I was thinking off 550's jay, have to see when I get to that point, still a few bits I need to get

Well god luck mate, going to be a massive difference!

Oh nice one :) This has really taken a step forward then!

Still love the colour, only other one I've seen apart from our old TDI

Cheers guys, it does seem to be a rare colour. Looking at getting a relentless downpipe, and also looking into the castor top mounts from silver project also

This should be a cool project. You going for a oem k04 or hybrid seeing your using 550s?
How long until your done do you reckon?

What a mammoth update!

K04 conversion in the pipe line, rods, interior swap, FMIC, head work and Brembo set up along with what you originally started with - the gearbox replacement....

Sounds like everything is coming along quiet nicely now buddy

For now I'm going go standard k04 but get a bbt uprated actuator. I was going to go for 550's for future proof more than anything or it would be the 440's green tops.

Yes Chris it's surprising where you end up mate, like you said this started off just needing a simple gearbox change lol and now I'm here lol

Small little update today, so seeing as I had the afternoon free I thought I'd get contact with bill for a few bits, amd as they were in stock I made the trip up to bill, top notch guy I must say. He has a lot of time for you also makes a great cup of coffee :) came home a happy customer.

I now need to finish off my shopping list and get it all back down to Phil to start putting it all back together etc.

Reactions: michael zagdon and Jay A3
Hi guys, been a while since I've updated this thread. The last few months have been a bit of a whirl wind and many ups and downs along the way.

My car isn't back together as of yet but slowly getting there this is mainly to do with the sudden passing of my step mum back in May, also with this I became unemployed basically as I worked for my dad and he need to grieve and also decided to retire, so I quickly had to made the choice to become self employed, this is a chore in its own right but now I wouldn't change it for the world I love being my own boss and everything that comes with that.

Anyways move forward a couple of months and we making forward steps again, my engine is more or less all put back together, all the was needed was new flywheel bolts and studs for the turbo then I can bolt the downpipe onto the turbo and bolt the gearbox on then engine can go back in :). I must admit that I haven't taken many pictures when I've been down at phils garage mainly as I forgot. I had also been toying with buying an S3 as that's what I really want and then putting this engining into it, but now it's going back into the A3 for the time being as I made the decision to pay a few bills off first and the fact I need money for my business so hopefully in the next 6 months I'll get one.

Here are a couple of pictures of where it's at at the moment, I would like to get the rocker cover and inlet mani powder coated also.

ImageImageImage

Sorry to hear about your loss... nice to see you have a positive attitude to it all though mate... onwards and upwards :)

<tuffty/>

Cheers Tuffty, even though Jan had cancer for a long time, ( many years ) it's still hard to think to that day will come.

I know Phil spoke to you the other week when we were putting the engine back together so thank you for that.

I hope to get some more pictures up of it pretty soon, I'm going on holiday to Cornwall and I am trying to talk the misses into letting me stop off on route lol.

But like I said long term I would really like to get this engine put into an S3 now that the rods have been done and Phil had the head all done also. I'd have to ask him what was done to the head though as I can't remember.

The car will look totally different to the day I bought it that's for sure once it's put back together, I will however need to have some body work done on it as the rear quarter has a dent and big scratch on it.

Just caught up, sorry to hear about the loss grale.

Does sound like the engine is coming along very nicely. Good work

Been a while since I've really done anything to the car so I took a day off work last week a took a trip to Phil's to finish off putting the engine and gearbox together and double check everything whilst it was out of the car. Phil got the engine back in and all wired up etc and got it started up which was nice to hear after not having the car for the last 8 months. The plan was when I left that the car would be ready to be picked up at the end of this week ( fingers crossed ).

I must say that there are a few things I wish I had done now looking back at it, things things will either wait for another day or won't get done at all,

Been a while since I actually posted on here but it's all change once again. A few weeks back I managed to pick up a A3 TQ 8L really cheap, it did come with some issues the first one being it didn't have any brakes at all, this was the cheapest fix I had to do as I only had to buy a new left rear brake line ( £23 ) including delivery, then a lot of time bleeding the brakes and MC. Next on the list was 2 front tyres as these were completely shot it still needs a proper 4 wheel alignment but that can't wait for the time being. Next thing up was that it wouldn't boost at all and kept hesitating, I changed the dv and no difference, I then I thought I'd change the map sensor, and now it boost's perfect and the cost of the part was £65.
Now this weekend I'm taking it to Phil as he still has my old car and now the Quattro will be getting the AGU engine with the IE rods, K04 relentless V2, cupra r brembos etc etc. the one decision I have to make in the next day or so is whether I go for a jetex or miltek exhaust?

A quick update as I haven't really kept this up todate that well, I'll do a proper update as soon as I can with some pictures. I no longer have the red A3 I now have a Ming blue A3 TQS with my forged AGU and all the mods swopped over. I picked the car up from Phil on the 2nd January and have managed to run the engine in, it's done around 1100 miles and now due another oil change. Once I get back down to Phil I'll go round the car double checking everything now that it should all be settle in, just to make sure nothing has come loose etc.

Anyways like I sai I'll do a better update once I get use of a computer and better internet signal.

Si