Thermostat Choice? Does it Matter?

JudderMan

Reaction score
Circoli £10.44 or VERNET £16.74 from ECP.

I don't usually subscribe to the more expensive things are better but....

After changing my radiator it seems to have wrecked my thermostat. It's not causing any problems apart from having cold blowers and surprisingly getting more mpg. If it's slightly warmer than -2 on the weekend I'll change it but which one should I buy? Does it matter? I've heard some of the traders on here say that they've had duff ones straight out the box or fail after a month. I don't really want to be buying one every couple of weeks. Should I not go to ECP and get one from Audi? I only go to ECP as it's really close to my house.

just get a OEM on from VW/audi. I think they are bosch. only a few quid extra

Yeah you will be looking at £16-£21 from Dealer. Worth it in my opinion! OEM FTW

i bought one off ebay, didn't cure my problem (obviously faulty from the box) replaced with thermostat from dealer, 2 years on no problems. Worth the extra.

Just get one with a decent brand. It's not like it's a complex bit of kit. Or if OEM is cheap enough get that. Chances are they'll want to pull your pants down for it.

I got a £6 one from the local motor factors, works fine.

I did try the nearest VAG dealer, but they wanted £20, and as usual would have to order the part in.

I view thermostats as a service part to be honest, and I can change one on my S3 in 30 mins using a tray to catch the spilt coolant and a 10mm socket and flexi extensions, so if it only lasts a couple of years, it's no biggie.

I replaced mine 6 months ago with a circoli one from ECP and have just replaced it again as the engine didn't get hot one day. Watching the temperature read out on the climate display the circoli one always averaged around 87 degrees when new and the OEM one now averages around 95 degrees. Quite different. If you physically compare the two thermostats, the circoli spring is significantly smaller than the OEM one.