S3 at AmD Essex for loving/modding, anything else to add to this list while there?

Mr Footlong

Stalking Kate Beckinsale
Reaction score
Hi guys

Dropped the S3 down to AmD Essex yesterday to get her sorted out and actually give it something resembling proper acceleration. I usually use MRC for my cars but for the simpler 1.8 I figured it was worth giving AmD a shot as Ben there was stupidly helpful and these are bread & butter cars for them to upgrade really.

They are carrying out the following this week:

Full Service
Check over the car fully for any obvious potential problems
Inspect Haldex function/Haldex Earth Cable/connector pins and replace Haldex fluid
Supply & fit Milltek Full NON-RES system,
Supply & fit AmD 3” down pipe with 200 cell sports cat
Fit new Badger 5 Induction kit (supplied by me)
Fit new Badger 5 small port phenolic inlet manifold spacer (supplied by me)
Supply & fit Uprated Fuel pressure regulator if deemed necessary
Supply & fit Forge 007P Diverter valve, as per recommendation (stillon the fence over that compared to a new OE but meh)
AmD Stage 2 remap – Car will be running fresh tank of Tesco 99 when left there.
Supply & fit Superpro Bush kit, including steering rack and Bog Bone, Hunter 4wd alignment included in price

Can you think of anything glaringly obvious that I have missed out?

Cheers,

Nick :).

P.S. I pretty well creamed my pants taking the 6 through the Dartford Tunnel. Caused quite a concertina effect as I would drop cogs, decelerate to 30 or so with the windows open, then unleash screaming popping banging hell. Rinse & repeat :). No idea if I will get a ticket but it was worth it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought it was better to have a FMIC too when going S2.

Either way I bet you can't wait I get her back after!

It may well be but I wasn't advised to get one with either this or the LCR and the LCR runs like a champ year-round. I would probably go to Bill for custom FMIC work tbh as I reckon he would do a more bespoke setup/cheaper one than AmD could provide.

I don't actually drive the Cupra really or the S3, madam does :). I might actually drive the S3 a bit if the end result is to my liking lol.

definitely needs an FMIC on there for stage 2, the standard intercoolers are horrendous at best.

Seems a shame to spend all that cash and utterly ruin it's potential with the lack of intercooler.

You'l have good stage 2 power for a split second before heat saps it all away.
Wouldn't you rather have the power available consistently and for much longer in he rev range. I know I would. I'm not a fan of pushing standard hardware beyond what it was made for

Guys, come tell me about heat again after you have owned a 6, these little things produce nothing in comparison lol. I am not disagreeing with you whatsoever on the FMIC, it is just that it isn't in the plans currently and with winter here I have a few months breathing room before having to be concerned really. Madam doesn't drive foot to the floor most of the time anyway.

I would also want to throw tougher rods in and poss some turbo work at the same time as the FMIC. I would most likely take it to Bill for that and the FMIC, unless AmD can prove they can provide something just as good for the same cash. AmD didn't mention a FMIC to me at any point that I can remember.

I just bought the car for madam last week for 7k, sticking another 3k in on this work, then tinting, then fitting the RNS-E, DAB etc all before chrimbo, the wallet is looking very empty as a result this month.

Just for the hell of it if you would be kind enough to answer, what would you guesstimate price-wise for a non gold plated Forge FMIC, cut to fit around the fogs, fitted?

Thanks.

Thanks for that great bit of input there ;).

As I said, I have no problem with a FMIC, not like I haven't put them on other cars of mine in the past, just can't stretch to it this month. I vaguely contemplated doing the venting mod on the front of the inner arch liners to tide me over like the LCR boys are doing, but that is just a bit too ghetto for me.

Thanks for that great bit of input there ;).

As I said, I have no problem with a FMIC, not like I haven't put them on other cars of mine in the past, just can't stretch to it this month. I vaguely contemplated doing the venting mod on the front of the inner arch liners to tide me over like the LCR boys are doing, but that is just a bit too ghetto for me.

Personally, (and I think everybody elses point might be) I would have waited until the vehicle was at the spec I wanted it to, or I could just go "there you go, do this!" and have everything done. Rather than two visits, and two lots of maps and two lots of being without the car, and two lots of hassle.

Sorry to follow the rest, but why would you spend all that money getting all that done, when you have no fmic. Especially as your getting a 'stage 2' map.

I think it's a little irresponsible for AMD to be offering a st2 without realy, especially as their maps tend to be on the ''nice and lean lets get things HOT'' side of the spectrum....

Budget £250 for a really top spec FMIC if you're doing the work yourself.

Thanks guys but, apart from the whole FMIC thing, which is on the to do list at the same point as the rods and possibly a bigger turbo, anything else?

The LCR has been on a stage 2 map since may/june if memory serves, has shown no significant signs of heatsoak while I have been logging it with madam booting it around (with me driving it yes, quite probably but..) and it is Winter now which will help while ambient temps sit below 10c daily. I will see how the temps are and if there is anything alarming and I can feel power loss I will bring the FMIC stuff forward.

I do not currently have potentially another four figures floating around to slap on a glorified rad. I need to get a set of Wagners for the 6 and that takes priority over the S3 but they are close to £1500 alone with the shrouds, let alone fitting and map tweak. I am not going to go the cheapo route of decatting etc to save money for the FMIC as I don't have enough hours in my life to flaff about with cat swaps at MOT time, too old for that and been there before...

I would do the FMIC install myself too but for medical reasons I am not really allowed to go out in the cold for prolonged periods of time for the next 4-5 months either, which sucks.

Thanks,

Nick.

Last edited:
Prawn, thanks a lot for our reply, appreciated. I will phone AmD tomorrow and ask them realistically what they can do on the FMIC front. If I have to give everyone coal this chrimbo, I can probably scrape up another grand I guess but where do I stop with a little 1.8T. Still, costs peanuts to mod compared to the big boy.

You mention doing the fmic when you get a bigger turbo. Making all those mods and work at amd completely pointless. Do it right first time

Were just offering the best advise and opinions we can. But clearly you're the big shot throwing thousands around everywhere for your 6, 3, 9, and whatever else.

"I'm very important. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Reactions: dancupra225
A bit uncalled for...:blush:

Agreed what has been said though you do seem to be doing it *** to tit.... and will in the long run cost you more for various reasons..
I hope AMD will give you the same advise...

****** hell you lot can be nobs :) I'd be more inclined to spend cash on an RS6 than an S3 for my mrs. Simple logic.

Just for the hell of it if you would be kind enough to answer, what would you guesstimate price-wise for a non gold plated Forge FMIC, cut to fit around the fogs, fitted?

Not many have done it on here but I'd go for the Wagner one for ease of fitment. The welly cooler is great but way more mucking around to get parts etc to fit it. You'll be familiar with Wagner I'm sure, owning an RS6. I've got an AH Fabs V2 but that was a good days work getting it all to fit 100%, including cutting the crash bar, bumper etc.

A guy here (in Aus) has run a GT2871 for 40k on standard rods and SMICs but I imagine it wasn't ideal. He used it daily and for the odd drag run (not exactly road conditions). I got shot down for mentioning this before (it's not recommended to go against the grain around here :)). The K04 will kick out a fair bit more heat mind you.

I just bought the car for madam last week for 7k, sticking another 3k in on this work, then tinting, then fitting the RNS-E, DAB etc all before chrimbo, the wallet is looking very empty as a result this month.

:scared2: 7k for a standard s3... it is an 8L? That would have to be showroom in every way going by recent sales...and 3k for the work you said above...seems horrendous...

Seems like a fair bit of work though - all bushes, exhaust + downpipe, mapping, giving the car a proper once over. And you know what garages/mechanics charge...

did this guy have mug on his forhead 7K for a s3 the spending all that and not doing it properly good luck waste of time doing it in the 1st place in my eyes buy all the its you need then have it all done... fmic is basic knowleadge more power more cooling!!!

the company you are using sound like they want you to spend more cash!! and should pass on knowleadge to you as a customer to help you out

sorry to sound like a knob but people on here are trying to help you!!

he may have bought the s3 that was on audisrs, it was show room condition

not quite sure why people hammer on in terms of negativity towards people

they guy didn't change the coolers big deal, i've seen worse on here, people with s3's with dodgy cheapo tyres for starters

Sorry for not replying individually to each response guys.

Lol, at least I am old enough to have a thick skin about random keyboard warrior outbursts ;). I am not loaded at all, far from it in fact. I work hard for my money, built my own company from scratch, am 35 and mostly due to my love of cars and gadgets, still rent a house with my best friend. I am lucky in that my other half lets me continue to buy cars and either mod them myself or have experts do it.

7k was steep but I got one that was indeed in very good overall condition and after seeing 4 previously all over the country at the same price that were touted as being immaculate but were actually dogs, I am not fussed about buying right at the high end for a late 03 model. I would have LOVED to have bought a minter forum car of course but didn't manage to in the end.

The reason that I am rushing through all of this is two-fold. Firstly, I was the one that forced that S3 on madam as a Chrimbo pressie as I hate all the rattles in the Cupra compared to my beast and during the colder months, it is sooo hard to keep all the power down when at lower speeds. The problem is that currently the S3 goes backwards in comparision to it. Secondly, due to a mis-diagnosis 4 years ago, I got informed that I have stage 3 Hodgkin's Disease and as a result life has turned a bit mental and revolves around me working my *** off, exercising my *** off when I have the energy and having the hospital pump me full of pretty nasty chemicals every 2 weeks. This is my life for the next 4 months at the very least so I am having to rely on others to do more of the car loving-side of things for me.

The reason for me choosing AmD is that they are the first outfit in the UK to show ANY interest in getting a bombproof auto box built up for C5 RS6 owners. We have gearboxes/Torque Converters built out of butter and have been resorting to getting custom boxes built in Yankland and shipped over. My box has been restricted down on torque to slow the fact that it is eating itself :). I wanted to see how well they would do with the S3 before saving my pennies and giving them my baby for that work.

As I mentioned above, I will give AmD a shout today regarding a FMIC but a Wagner one will most likely make the Forge one look cheap in my experience! Once again, I am not saying that I don't want one, just saying that it will be tight currently and it wasn't offered to me. Also with modding, money spent is money spent. If she gets a good few months of fun out of the car before temps wam up and I go see Bill etc for a FMIC, turboupgrade etc and a map tweak, so what?

Cheers,

Nick.

Last edited:
I think people were a bit quick to jump to be honest, who are we to judge if you're rich, poor, or indifferent? If you've got the money to run an RS6 and buy the missus an S3, then good for you I say!

As you say, the car will be OK without the intercooler in these winter months, although being tuned in this cold weather does run the risk of CF's creeping up when the summer comes, and hopefully by then you'll have an FMIC on there :)

Best of luck with it all mate!

Reactions: StaceyS3
I think it's a little irresponsible for AMD to be offering a st2 without realy, especially as their maps tend to be on the ''nice and lean lets get things HOT'' side of the spectrum....

Budget £250 for a really top spec FMIC if you're doing the work yourself.

It isn't "irresponsible" at all, it is not a necessity but is an "optional" extra to help improve stage 2 further. The only supplier we work with that offer an intercooler for the S3 is Forge and not everyone wants to spend £890.00 on an intercooler plus fitting. We probably map 10 Audi S3's every month, we are happy that our map runs safely with good performance gains.

:scared2: 7k for a standard s3... it is an 8L? That would have to be showroom in every way going by recent sales...and 3k for the work you said above...seems horrendous...

The price for the work being carried out isn't "horrendous" when you add it all up? This is alot of work and here are our costs for this work :-

- Full Service - £210.00 inc vat and this would include :-

• Oil filter,
  • Oil,
  • Sump plug
  • Fuel filter,
  • Spark plugs
  • Pollen filter,
  • Air filter,
  • Screenwash,
  • Full inspection,
  • Diagnostics
- Haldex Service - £102.00 inc vat

- Supply & fit Milltek Full NON- RES - £587.09 inc vat with FREE fitting.

- Milltek Sports Cat - £817.74 inc vat with FREE fitting
Or
- AmD 3” down pipe with 200 cell sports cat - £699.00 inc vat with fitting

- Fit Badger 5 Induction kit (supplied by customer) - £72.00 inc vat for fitting

- Supply & fit Uprated Fuel pressure regulator - £59.95 inc vat if required.

- AmD Stage 2 remap - £150.00 with our map and exhaust special offer, normally priced at £300.00.

- Forge 007P - £99.95 inc vat with FREE fitting.

- Supply & fit Superpro Bush kit – £599.00 inc vat with Alignment on our Hunter HawkEye machine (discounted special offer, bush Kit alone is£432.00 inc vat without fitting!)

Kit includes

SPF3394K - Front Control Arm, Front BushKit

SPF3395K - Front Control Arm, Rear Bush Kit

SPF2593-15K - Front Anti Roll Bar to Chassis Bush Kit

SPF2540K - Upper & Lower Rear Lateral Arm, Inner Bush Kit (2 Needed Per Car)

SPF2536K - Rear Trailing Arm, Front bush Kit

- Superpro Rack Bush - £54.00 inc vat supplied and fitted

- Superpro Dog bone mount kit (front and rear bush) - £54.01 inc vat - Fitting is £36.00 inc vat

the company you are using sound like they want you to spend more cash!! and should pass on knowleadge to you as a customer to help you out

sorry to sound like a knob but people on here are trying to help you!!

If we were wanting the customer to spend more cash surely we would be forcing an intercooler on him but we are not as it an optional extra for stage 2. We have priced up all the items the customer is interested in and would like for HIS cars.

In fact the customer asked for a certain sports cat, we offered one that is actually cheaper and better value for money. He is also getting FREE fitting on products, a half price remap and other discounts.

Hope this helps,

AmD Essex.

Last edited:
The Wagner is less than 890 for sure. It was $1000 AUD to my doorstep. It's a decent fit and larger than the Forge too. Might be worth looking at when the time comes...

It isn't irresponsible at all, it is not a necessity but is an "optional" extra to help improve stage 2 further.

We shall have to agree to disagree on that one then Ben, unless of course your stage 2 map is incredibly tame, which we all know it isnt.

From numerous testing and logs, the standard twin side mount intercoolers are woefully inadequate on even a stage 1 car, with IAT's shooting up after just 2-3 pulls on boost, running a ko4 at well over 1.5 bar as your st2 software does, I'm pretty certain IAT's would be up above 50 degrees in no time at all.

It's also been proven that the forge FMIC kit for the s3 is far from great, with much better alternatives being available at just 1/3rd of the cost if you're prepared to do a bit of leg work. You might not get a sale from it, but it'll certainly improve your end result when you map the customers car, business which you already have, so you're not costing yourself anything by recommending it.

Still, despite the above, I'm sure the car will feel great when you've done it, and the customer will no doubt be very happy :)

Prices for the work above don't sound bad to me at all, the expensive part of tuning is in the labour, not the parts generally!

I have had a chat with Ben a moment ago about this and he feels the same as me regarding the next few months running on the normal intercoolers (WITH A WOMAN DRIVING too lol /runs). Yes the FMIC is an option of course but it isn't an absolute must have during the colder weather or for shorter runs. I was about to ask him to order one anyway after checking the price, but the 7 day lead time doesn't work with current plans for the other work being carried out.

He has also advised me that there are plans afoot for a bespoke one for the S3, based on how well their LCR version is doing currently. This is a LOT cheaper than the Forge item so I am going to wait and see how that comes along :).

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the input.

£3500+, jesus.

I hope you are happy with the results, should feel like a new car for that money.

£3500+, jesus.

I hope you are happy with the results, should feel like a new car for that money.

Where are you getting your figures from? The total price is under £2800.00 inc vat for all that work and products.

Ignore Jardo Ben, he makes huge assumptions and generalisations to back up his wildly inaccurate statements ;)

fishing.gif
fishing.gif
fishing.gif

Where are you getting your figures from? The total price is under £2800.00 inc vat for all that work and products.

My apologies, I didn't see the "or" between the exhaust items.

Still a hefty bill, as I say I hope the customer is happy with the work. I would love to be able to just give my car to a tuner and ask them to sort it, would he nice not to have the hassle of doing it all myself.

With all of the cars before the old man Jag I did 95% of all the modding work myself, leaving just bespoke mapping to the experts. It is just in my senior years and with keeping my business afloat and a madam to keep satisfied in all senses of the word, time is just not there anymore.

AmD's rates are a fair bit cheaper than my other guys too, I am not at all unhappy with what they are charging for all that work being done.

Last edited:
The price for the work being carried out isn't "horrendous" when you add it all up? This is alot of work and here are our costs for this work :-

- Full Service - £210.00 inc vat and this would include :-

• Oil filter,
  • Oil,
  • Sump plug
  • Fuel filter,
  • Spark plugs
  • Pollen filter,
  • Air filter,
  • Screenwash,
  • Full inspection,
  • Diagnostics
- Haldex Service - £102.00 inc vat

- Supply & fit Milltek Full NON- RES - £587.09 inc vat with FREE fitting.

- Milltek Sports Cat - £817.74 inc vat with FREE fitting
Or
- AmD 3” down pipe with 200 cell sports cat - £699.00 inc vat with fitting

- Fit Badger 5 Induction kit (supplied by customer) - £72.00 inc vat for fitting

- Supply & fit Uprated Fuel pressure regulator - £59.95 inc vat if required.

- AmD Stage 2 remap - £150.00 with our map and exhaust special offer, normally priced at £300.00.

- Forge 007P - £99.95 inc vat with FREE fitting.

- Supply & fit Superpro Bush kit – £599.00 inc vat with Alignment on our Hunter HawkEye machine (discounted special offer, bush Kit alone is£432.00 inc vat without fitting!)

Kit includes

SPF3394K - Front Control Arm, Front BushKit

SPF2593-15K - Front Anti Roll Bar to Chassis Bush Kit

SPF2540K - Upper & Lower Rear Lateral Arm, Inner Bush Kit (2 Needed Per Car)

SPF2536K - Rear Trailing Arm, Front bush Kit

- Superpro Rack Bush - £54.00 inc vat supplied and fitted

- Superpro Dog bone mount kit (front and rear bush) - £54.01 inc vat - Fitting is £36.00 inc vat

AmD Essex.

Soz Ben,, It looks very comprehensive when you write it all down,,,,:arco:

I always thought it wasn't a bad price. You lot (like me) are too used to doing stuff yourselves ;) Hence why I went and got qualified - so I didn't have to pay.

Honestly though, don't get a forge cooler. I'd seriously look at the Wagner, AH Fabs V2 (cossie core) or welly cooler (eBay generic FMIC) in order of ease of fitment. The forge is mad money for what it is, and has small diameter boost pipes. Check the FMIC sticky thread for more info.

does make me laugh when people who do their own work at home or round a mates state how expensive garages are !!

people often forget that the garage has to pay the following

wages + additional NI contributions
rent / garage lease
corporate tax
VAT
liability insurance
gas, electric, water rates etc etc !

i think for the work carried out it is a VERY good price

anyways, loads of input but no actual proof posted about a FMIC setup, anyone have any before and after dyno plots ? or ignition timing logs ? etc etc

Do your own research on the necessity of the FMIC for an AMD stage 2, Prawn has stated the correct information which has been reported by other tuners and I personally agree with.

I am not going to slander a forum sponsor or put my own two pence in, it is in nobodies benefit. Do some research on the matter for yourself, but I would strongly suggest we keep it out of this thread.

Yeah if you have access to a welder to sort the inlet/outlets and don't mind doing your own piping of course. It's just more effort that's all.

Bit of a pointless thread.

I wouls recomend reading, westys, stacys prawns and tufftys build thread (sorry if i missed any other good threads this is as far as i have got), in my opinion nearlly all the info + research + testing has been done to a hi level. i wish i had read these threads before i brought mine i would have taken a different route.

Any way, let AMD do the work and just enjoy it dude, sounds like you should have a bit of a minter once its done!

I would like to hear how the car is to live with after the work is done, and if you have any issues or not. The proof will be in the taste!!

Thanks Phill