Cold air feed sizing.....

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Argh that looks good, was going to ask how its liek to fit but ill have to have a go myself lol.

Thats the stuff i bought in 80mm diameter. i got 1m which is enough to go from the passenger side foglight area to the air filter.

It was a bit of a squeeze running the pipe down by the battery and into the bumper but mamaged it with the bumper in situ. Obviously dont attempt this if your still running SMIC`s lol

I have ducting like the one above.
As said, it is easier if you remove the battery , i also removed the bumper as it only take about 5 min now.

i undid the bracket that holds the battery in place and then just pushed it as far over to the left as possible before doing the bracket back up this gave me enough room (just) to get the 80mm tubing to fit.

I've been thinking about running a cold are feed for a while now but I'm thinking unless the end of it is going to the air box or you have it coming out the bumper like this:

rover800coldairfeed14.jpg

Is it really going to be doing anything?

I cant see how creating a clear path for the cold air to take from outside the bay to the air filter can not help?
Forced induction or N/A
The battery blocks the direct flow of cold air... so i simply made a new one.

I was just about to post that exact video.

Makes **** all difference. You're channeling ambient temperature air up a restrictive pipe towards a filter that is already sucking in as much air as it needs. The air under the bonnet is constantly moving around and being flushed out, so it's never allowed to get up to silly temperatures.

I'd save the money and buy a couple of pints at the weekend.

I cant see how creating a clear path for the cold air to take from outside the bay to the air filter can not help?
Forced induction or N/A
The battery blocks the direct flow of cold air... so i simply made a new one.

I can see how it would be a good thing if one end of the cold air feed is attached the airbox and then vented somewhere cooler but if its just a bit of hose that pushed up against a cone filter at one end and the other end is just stuck behind a headlight, i cant see how it would work. :shrug:

Just because you have a pipe pointing to the air filter doesnt mean it wont get it from anywhere else,,, the clue is the cone ..it will get air from any direction it can....
If you can get a forced feed say 5-10 degrees lower than the under hood temps, it is hardly going to do ****** all to charge temps @ 150+ degrees...

exactly, turbo = mega degrees, intercooler cools. anything pre turbine, is deemed pointless, the charge temps will still be the same, and the intercooler only cool so much given any conditions.

N/A however and obv the intake system is much smaller, no intercooler or anything of that kind, so any cooling that can be done before the inlet is welcomed.

you guys are fitting air feeds on the basis the turbo isnt getting enough air, do you think the engine bay is vaccuming or something? it isnt. the turbo will take all it can and take no more than it needs, which unless you have an inlet the size of a gnats chuff then it should be ok.

Wow this thread has started to get heated lol.

yeah i know all about charge temps been high and the air sucked in is going to be compressed and pushed around by a red hot turbo, it was only a thought as im going to be doing some engine bay work and thought it maybe a good idea, at the end of the dayfor £10 i camt see what harm ita going to do, lets face it, its not going to hinder performance now is it.

Each to their own,
We all spent years saying a cone was a bad idea... now we all have them.

From my experience cold air feeds do make a difference. My mate has one on his Honda Type R but his feed pipe is metal and powder coated this has made a big difference on his car and the sound is sickk once he hits the high rev range. I think u need a proper metal pipe to make a major difference and coated to keep air temps down as air makes its way up to there. His is N/A engine but same concept really getting cold air in.

From my experience cold air feeds do make a difference. My mate has one on his Honda Type R but his feed pipe is metal and powder coated this has made a big difference on his car and the sound is sickk once he hits the high rev range. I think u need a proper metal pipe to make a major difference and coated to keep air temps down as air makes its way up to there. His is N/A engine but same concept really getting cold air in.

As said further up... nobody disputes the use of a cold air feed /filter relocation on an NA car.
With a turbo i get the fact air will increase in heat going through a turbo BUT we all got hot and bothered about heat soak from the bay when using a cone filter... why did we care? Some removed the rubber strips on the underside of the bonnet why? to give better ventilation and reduce the air temp under the bonnet.
End of the day... thats all mine does,Create a path for cooler air to make it to the filter/ bay

As said further up... nobody disputes the use of a cold air feed /filter relocation on an NA car.
With a turbo i get the fact air will increase in heat going through a turbo BUT we all got hot and bothered about heat soak from the bay when using a cone filter... why did we care? Some removed the rubber strips on the underside of the bonnet why? to give better ventilation and reduce the air temp under the bonnet.
End of the day... thats all mine does,Create a path for cooler air to make it to the filter/ bay

I agree, the old setup with the standard air box had a feed from the passenger side wing but this has now become basically useless with the cone filter setup so for the cost of a £10 plus a hour or so fitting it cant hurt to get as much air to the filter as possible.

Yeah on N\A cars it adds some extra oomph but on our turbo cars it cant be adverse to the performance. Plus as mentioned people do all sorts of stuff to get extra airflow under the bonnet removing rubber strips etc so why not get some cold air sent directly to the filter this way instead.

Plus when running a heatshield around the filter you like me you must be limiting the filter taking air from the hotside of the engine bay so in my eyes running the feed compensates for that too.

:icon_thumright: