Is this true?

Greg-S3

Reaction score
Ive noticed a few people saying they have used their climate control to display the engine temp!?!? Is this true, and if so how is it done!

Yes, on mine I press the recirc and up button together it displays 1c then i scroll up to 49c using the + button then press recirc button again and hey presto! engine temp

My 5 min guide just for you lol:

Climate1

Climate2

Climate3

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: guzzy_431
noooooo, the evil man has me in his 'James Bond machine gun on car' sights

You can see air con voltage, time since last used, interior air temp, engine temp and more!! Well impressed

learn something new every day, not tried it yet tho quite clever tbf

Cheers Aragon, always thought you could only do that on later cars!

My A3 has this aswell. very ery useful. Does anyone know what the other numbers are for and if so what is what lol ?

is there a list of what does what to what number or is it on that link? im being super lazy?

Theres a few lists floating around but not all of them are correct. For instance some say 51 is coolant temperature, but its actually 49 on every one i've tried.

is there a list of what does what to what number or is it on that link? im being super lazy?

yes its on the link in post #3, but as Aragorn (Strider), son of Arathorn and Ranger of the North says it is not correct. Is there a confirmed list of what these all are?

Lol.

I think it varies a bit from car to car. Most of them line up on most cars, but they are not all correct. The most notable being the 49/51 confusion, as if you notice the list above says 49 is some speedo fault count, and 51 is engine temp. On my car, 49 is coolant temp, and 51 just permenantly displays 90 once the engines hot.

hmmm, looking at that list there isn't one for Oil Temp - can we get this any other way? This would be useful...

hmmm, looking at that list there isn't one for Oil Temp - can we get this any other way? This would be useful...

Only way to get oil temp is by using VCDS and it takes the temp from the sump. Best place to take the temp is from the oil filter housing/oil cooler. You can buy kits for this and fit a gauge if really interested.

I've got a bigger oil cooler sitting in my garage that I want to fit soon and I was planning on plumbing in a gauge too.

Had this on today and it was reading 100 but the temp gauge was at 90 do I have a problem?

My temp guage only dash stays at 90 but the digital ones goes to 107c when pushing it then the fans come on.