Faulty heater A4 Avant Sport

Wobblybox

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum and am asking for help, I recently bought an 04 A4 1.9tdi sport with 74k. I had an 04 SE and the heater was fantastic. Same digital climate control dual zone heater controls. However the sport seems a bit different insofar that It will not really put heat out untill it's at 'max' anything below is luke warm. I replaced the air-con compressor recently but the heater issue was there before and after compressor was replaced..... It's not so bad now as its quite warm bit am concerned that when it gets colder I'm going to lose my heat....! On the SE 22was a perfect temp on the sport 22 is cold??

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or manged to fix it??

Thank you for taking the time to read this, all replied will be acknowledged.

Remove the glovebox, to the side of the centre console you will see the motors for the heater matrix and directional air flaps.
Remove them (noting where they go) seperate the plastic housing and re-grease the motor & cogs inside.
Lubricate the arms on re-asembly also.

There are motors on the drivers side also, these are a little trickier to get at but I had the same issue and this rectified it.

That's good advice from Alex.

I'd also consider a VCDS scan which will tell you if anything is amiss.

Remove the glovebox, to the side of the centre console you will see the motors for the heater matrix and directional air flaps.
Remove them (noting where they go) seperate the plastic housing and re-grease the motor & cogs inside.
Lubricate the arms on re-asembly also.

There are motors on the drivers side also, these are a little trickier to get at but I had the same issue and this rectified it.

Nice one.. might give that a look on mine, its never blown cold even on LO, cool but not as cold as my Landy, maybe a little warm coming through too??

Also just off topic Alex, GSi2000, Cavalier days?? that takes me back..

You might have an airlock in the coolant system did you bleed it?
Does the car get upto temperature i.e sitting at 90 degrees on dash indicator when its warmed up? If it doesnt get upto temperature it could be a faulty thermostat.
If its none of the above then most likely a heater matrix flush will fix it.
I had the same on my old 1.8t and after doing a heater matrix flush the tropical heat was back.

Hello again, left car into local garage y'day. At first he thought it needed a new heater matrix. Gladly it didn't! He ran the heating through a check that opens and closes all the vents for direction and heat. One of the motors (as mentioned above) was sticking, any way a happy ending as he charged me £25 and me heaters roasty toasty! Thanks for your advice and guidance :)

Hi folks ,
i have no air coming out central vent?
****** dangerous today with the rain , all Foged up ,two side vents blowing strong and warm but nothing out central vent !!!
we are thinking blower kaput . maybe new blower but will check it a fuse is away first ?
any ideas ???????

Take the glove box out and you will see the green mechanism motor linkage either buy a new one or some people have disconnected the linkage of the motor and have held it fully open at all times... Motors are around £100 I think so other only option remove motor open up and renew grease is the last option may work may not simple to do so all the best

Reactions: fallmonk
2 8mm bolts from bottom and then open the glove box look up there's another 3

Reactions: fallmonk
It's almost certainly the motor then if it's temperamental, mine does the same.

So did mine lasted about a month then packed in so it's unplugged and zip tied open it's all ok apart from my window always get a bit chilled up with the air con freezing lol.... Best thing in the long run is to fix it properly so it's on my to do list soon... Sorry I forgot to say there's a bolt behind the side panel...