Cant keep straight ahead!!

Chris93

Reaction score
I have recently noticed a problem develop with my car, it is really hard to keep the car going in a straight line and takes loads of little corrections to the steering wheel, i have changed my tyres recently but have checked the pressures and they are all fine, it seems to be getting worse and noticed it quite a lot on my way home from work today! any ideas as to what is causing this?

Many thanks :)

Chris

what tyres have you got on ?

When you changed the tyres did you get the tracking done on the wheels too? If not then your tracking is off and needs realignment.

It has pirelli p zero rosso tyres which were balanced but i didnt have the tracking done, the steering wheel has always been to the right when the car is going straight ahead but i have only recently noticed how hard it is to keep in a straight line!

Chris

have tracking checked for a start

As above,tracking is the first thing to check.

Mine gets checked every 5000 miles or so and always needs correcting.
Have a look at my build thread and see how far out it was last time!

I am any better of going to audi for my tracking? do they have better technology or am i just as good going to an independent?

Chris

I am any better of going to audi for my tracking? do they have better technology or am i just as good going to an independent?

Chris

Pick a good independent with 4wheel laser alignment.

Get a 4-wheel alignment done as soon as you can - you'll almost certainly be wearing the tyres out in an uneven pattern. A good place will charge somewhere around £50-80 for a proper set-up.

While you have the opportunity when the car is up on the hoist. Get a mechanic to shake the front wheels violently, and see if there are any joints, bushes etc which are worn or coming loose. Check also the front sub-frame anchor points (bolts tightened to the right torque). I have P-Zero rosso's and the car runs so straight it thinks it's a train. Meanwhile, see if you can get the steering wheel centered, which will be much nice to drive. Good luck.