One thousand brownie points to who ever may shed some light.

benclarke

Reaction score
Boost leak, boost leak boost leak?

My car just isn't running properly.. High revs in 3rd and 4th gear just go no-where and although I dont currently have a boost gauge or a boost leak "tester", this is what it feels like to me.
I have got a brand new 007p and have deleted my N249 properly using silicon hoses tightened up nicely.

I have replaced various vacuum servo hoses that were split. The oil breather hose coming on the rocker was perished, so I replaced it with an awesome-gti silicon jobby.
The breather coming off said silicon job ,down to the the lump was also replaced up until the solid plastic piece. The plastic pipe which connects directly the the lump however is not fitted properly and needs replacing.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in the world of turbocharged engines but will oil breather pipes affect boost in any way?

I have checked the intercooler and associated pipework and the "seems" fine although I have not clarified this with any forced pressure test.

Where do I go next? Obviously because its not perfect I will endeavour to change the plastic pipe coming off the block but are there any other hoses that could be split or any other reasons to explain the car under-performing?

The actual symptom is a jerkey sensation and complete lack of power in 3rd and 4th when you need it most.
Fault codes 17705 and 17545.

As it said in the title, if anyone can lead me down the right route 1000 brownie points will be awarded.

1st one is pressure drop from turbo to throttle and 2nd one is fuel too rich. You almost certainly have a boost leak. Faulty dv valve possibly .?

The exhaust and breather would not have the effects of what you are describing, you reaaly need it on vcds to see whats happening, have you checked the orange pipe that comes off the turbo to the hard pipe? also try taking off the tip, and feeling the turbo for excessive play...

Reactions: benclarke
If the oil breather system can cause problems if it's letting unmetered air into the inlet. Check DV, check n249 valve, check hoses coming off under inlet for splits etc. a smoke test would reveal all if there is a leak

If the oil breather system can cause problems if it's letting unmetered air into the inlet. Check DV, check n249 valve, check hoses coming off under inlet for splits etc. a smoke test would reveal all if there is a leak

Just to add. It just passed its mot.

That makes not a lot of difference to be honest, mot doesn't check if the engine is fully performing or not

Yeah probably would mate as ecu is adapting the fuel trims to compensate for any vac leaks, it's on boost these leaks become an issue. I presume you have vagcom? As you stated fault codes earlier?

Reactions: benclarke
Thanks mate, I only have a cheap faultcode scanner not actually vagcom. Im thinking abou tinvestiung in cheap laptop and getting vagcom though.

Drove the car this morning and the problem seems to have gone, although I didnt drive it long or hard enough for the engine bay to get hot.
Is it a possibility that the split (if there is one) just becomes an issue when the engine bay gets hot? Expansion and all that...

Cheers,

Ben

Sorry for bumping my own thread, does anyone have a diagram of the engine hoses and breather hoses?

Unless you have some faulty check valves, the breather system should never see any boost, and so shouldnt be able to cause any boost leaks.

The vacuum pipes streight off the manfold, before the check valves, do of course have the potential to cause leaks.

Has this car been recently mapped, ?

I only throw this in because mine was mapped wrong orginally and i had no top end power in 3rd / 4th

UPDATE: The turbo has become very loud through the glovebox area, sounds like some sort of split hose. Could it be the TIP??

I've got similar characteristics to you, feels sluggish in higher gears (I have a thread "Should me S3 be faster) and I also get this loud sucking noise from the glove box, noticed the other day the turbo pipe(??) at the back of the engine bay that connects to the long steel pipe that runs on the left hand side is split, on the underside where the metal pipe ends, this im hoping is my issue as i have bought a silicon forge pipe to replace it. have a look at your pipe mate :)

I've got similar characteristics to you, feels sluggish in higher gears (I have a thread "Should me S3 be faster) and I also get this loud sucking noise from the glove box, noticed the other day the turbo pipe(??) at the back of the engine bay that connects to the long steel pipe that runs on the left hand side is split, on the underside where the metal pipe ends, this im hoping is my issue as i have bought a silicon forge pipe to replace it. have a look at your pipe mate :)

Thanks for that mate I will check tonight! Would be great if this was the case.

And joe I live in Worcester mate, yourself?

It's the hose from your intake by the sounds of it. I am from Liverpool but you need a smoke test defo to see we're the leak is.

Ben the hose thats fubar'd on mine is as follows (dont have a pic unfortunately). on the left of the bay there is the metallic pipe (not sure of its name intake maybe?) this runs up the left and elbows right along the top of the engine then terminates into a rubber "elbow" hose type thing. this elbow is the hose thats bust

Ben the hose thats fubar'd on mine is as follows (dont have a pic unfortunately). on the left of the bay there is the metallic pipe (not sure of its name intake maybe?) this runs up the left and elbows right along the top of the engine then terminates into a rubber "elbow" hose type thing. this elbow is the hose thats bust

Cheers for that mate I will have a check tonight.

Double check the vac lines under the intake manifold, check the fuel pressure regulator vac line in particular

Sounds to me like you have what my mates TT had.. That was a collapsing TIP... Just a thought :D

Ben

sorted those pipes ben and now my car is spot on :)

I have noticed my S3 also feels "tired" in the higher RPM range in 3rd and up. So whipped a boost leak tester together this afternoon and tested the system. Have such a bad leak, it sounds like I'm blowing air through a pipe.
Found the crankcase breather pipe that comes off the oil filter housing is bust, there is a big section missing and the air is flowing out this busted pipe. Hard plastic parts dont last forever in engine bays.
So once I have replaced this pipe, I will test again for boost leaks.