OEM LEDs

KevinOS

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there is such thing as an OEM LED number plate light for the A3?...if so does anyone have any idea of a part number or any idea of the price? Thanks :)

Kev,

there is no OEM LED for the A3. just yet, looking at the pictures of the new new A3 thats coming out that will more than likely have them but there wont be no scope to retro fit as its a completly differant unit.

cars that can upgrade to them with an adaptor loom which i can get are:

A1, A4 B8, NEW A6, A5 COUPE AND SPORTBACK, A7, Q5, NEW TT

The Lamps are the same sort of brightness as the BMW led plate lights.

i have installed some in an a4 and sold some to a member with an A5 in ozz.

Ok thanks for the info Trups :)...I'm eating through your bulbs so i was just wondering if there was an alternative

halogen replacment? i am just testing some led's ive had "commisioned" as a 2 led but using smaller LED's to keep the heat down, also adding a heat sink to the reverse, they should be done 2nd week of april i hope so look out for them.

Perfect Trups I'll be on to you then :)...but in the mean time you have a PM :laugh:

this reminds me... my number plate ones keep dying and i need an alternative to the LEDs that are there.

Mine used to do this too, no idea why! Went through a couple of replacements but then reverted back to normal festoon bulbs.

i have found that the LEDs are lasting like 2 months max and then blow out... but that is only with the rear number plates... i have replaced all the bulbs in the car with LEDs and no problem anywhere else...
Does anyone have a link to a really nice crisp white LED (or LED like) bulb that wont blow on the number plate? i really dont want to go back to basic yellow halogens :(

i have found that the LEDs are lasting like 2 months max and then blow out... but that is only with the rear number plates... i have replaced all the bulbs in the car with LEDs and no problem anywhere else...
Does anyone have a link to a really nice crisp white LED (or LED like) bulb that wont blow on the number plate? i really dont want to go back to basic yellow halogens :(

I found that the LED bulbs were crap in my car, they either flickered all the time, LEDs burnt out or they just went from working to not working and then working again..

Front and rear, they were very poor and i had plenty of replacements as i say in the end i went back to normal rear festoons and white/blue 501 side lights, not had a problem since, the sidelights aren't as bright but they match my diamond visions perfectly!

My mate also had some LEDs the same as what i had and they were ****e too.

well the LEDs i have on my car and all are from Trups... its only the rear plate ones that keep messing up though... my front sidelights are fine.

well the LEDs i have on my car and all are from Trups... its only the rear plate ones that keep messing up though... my front sidelights are fine.

I'm not mentioning names mate as i don't think it's fair but they were purchased off here. Ask him for a replacement, i'm sure he'll sort you out.

Oh no I have no complaints with Trups at all! His service is second to none and he has already sent me replacement bulbs for te number plate... Like I said the whole car has been upgraded to LEDs by Trups and I love it but the number plate ones are annoying and starting to get on my nerves!
im now thinking that I am goin to need a different type of bulb dice the stupid number plate keeps blowing Trups' amazing LEDs :(

A1, A4 B8, NEW A6, A5 COUPE AND SPORTBACK, A7, Q5, NEW TT

Why dont you remove the boot lid & build a resistor pack with heatsink within that cavity that supplies the number plate bulbs, that way it has more space to dissapate heat, removes the resistors from the lighting area & I think would resolve your issues, there's plenty of room in there to bolt onto, trial & error but may be the solution.

I havnt had the chance to work on led's on my cars, always reading issues though.

Why dont you remove the boot lid & build a resistor pack with heatsink within that cavity that supplies the number plate bulbs, that way it has more space to dissapate heat, removes the resistors from the lighting area & I think would resolve your issues, there's plenty of room in there to bolt onto, trial & error but may be the solution.

I havnt had the chance to work on led's on my cars, always reading issues though.

This is exactly what i did. Been running 100% for 6 months now :)

Yeah I mean its only the heat that kills them man, so gotta think how to deal with that issue.

Not Sure why the plate lamps keep going, i have had heat sinks put on the back but i am not sure if that will sure it, do the plate bulbs run at differnant temps?

so nige and Matt, running the resistor in the boot will reduce the heat going to the plate lamps and make the bulbs in there last longer?

as the canbus bulbs have resistors on them i think it the heat from them thats killing them, i got non canbus bulbs in my 04 polo and have been in there since augest and not gone at all.

also AidenUK, if my customer are not happy with the bulbs and they bring up errors then a full refund will be given like i did with yours. :icon_thumright:

Got the halogen ones in a as replacment, got the 5w and 10w festoon ice whites.

so nige and Matt, running the resistor in the boot will reduce the heat going to the plate lamps and make the bulbs in there last longer?

Well yes & no, it depends on the circuit design aswell as the heat output from the resistors etc, but given the pcb is enclosed in such a small area & you're trying to drop what 12v down to 3 or whatever, its just asking for trouble imho, which is why I havnt bothered with mine as cant be assed with melted lenses lol.

So if you absolutely must use a design that puts out allot of heat from the resistors, then seperate these into the boot lid, as the heat can dissapate to air hell of allot better & thus the enclosed led's wont have to deal with that heat for one thing.

This also allows you to have a bigger pcb for a better supply to the led's, if any of my blurb makes sense, long day late night :)

Nige, you always make sense to me :cool:

ive never seen the inside of an pre 09 A3 so not sure where to add the resistor, where in the facelift as i had a look and everything os connected by 2 wire that also feed the boot opener.

lol, thanks, another fun day, shut my hand in car door, tell yer that hurt lol, always the small things.

Ideally you would be best to make up a pcb with connectors on end that have the counterpart oem connectors, that way no splicing or soldering etc required, totally plugnplay.

I might just come up to you Trups one day soonish and you can have a play in the car, look for any ways to improve the numberplate light? its the only bulb that i have had a problem with as all the others have been perfectly fine. I mean i have LEDs in the boot, footwells, puddle lights, dome lights, sidelights... you get the picture, none have caused problems.
the only other thing i have noticed is that the number plate lights and the side lights have the most hours of usage, the boot light and footwell lights etc only are in use for a minute and then turn off and dont heat up where as the number plate lights are on as soon as it gets dark and stay on for hours for me where i do alot of night time driving.

Is there a way maybe we could add the resistance to the wire before it gets to the bulb so that it doesnt need to be enclosed in that little space with the bulb?

Yeah do as per my last post, that way you can build a better/bigger pcb to have a better circuit with maybe more resistors to lower the heat, you ideally need to experiment with things.

Ash, Thats cool to come up, i dont mind trying a few differant things out, also if we builb the resistor externally we could use none canbus bulbs to keep heat down in the lamp.

i am getting some bulbs built with the smaller led's so that may be the solution.

I ordered a set of the new ones with the heatsink so i will let ye know how i get on with them :)