Drove a Black Edition S-Tronic today!

Sheikh

Reaction score
As above, had a test drive arranged with Audi for an A5 Cabriolet, which was a horrible drive. Everything about it was just not right!
Anyway they had a Sportback 2.0TDi 170 Black Edition sitting there which I asked if I could take out, they were more than happy to oblige.

Now what I have to say is, I envy all of you who drive 170 S-Tronics can only imagine how good S3's must be. The car was truly amazing to drive and completely different to my 140 in the way the power delivery was so smooth and it was much more quite and refined!

This was the car in question Vehicle View - Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI (170 PS) Black Ed. S Tronic - Guildford so if anyone's thinking of buying one. That's a good'n.:happy:

I drive a manual mate. I absolutely loved the S-Tronic, it was so smooth when in normal drive mode but in sport and whilst using the flappy paddles it was ridiculously quick! Couldn't fault it.

Next one is definitely going to be DSG/S-Tronic.

Reactions: Paullie and RedDejavu
It is certainly good when you're having a lazy drive into work in the morning. No need for a cup holder when you're kicking back with a flask of tea in your left hand cruising along in 'D', and also easily allows to open up the taps a bit when in 'S' or Tip-Tronic.

Saying that though, I cant help but feel that some of the vavavoom has been lost by going to a DSG..

I love the seamless surge of the 170DSG that my mum has in her Touran. I'm still coming to terms with the 140 in mine (manual) as it doesn't have the torquey punch of my last 2.4D5 V50. Could do with a little more oomph but nice gearbox however if cost isn't too high next time i'd prob have a DSG.

The only thing that you've lost is the crunching gears and clutch riding in traffic. :happy: I thought the DSG car felt more like a Go-Kart when booting it, I could just do my thing and not have to worry about changing gears!

I've had a 170 TDI manual 8P. it was very good. I'd have it back if I had the sound of the s3 with a Milly on it!

ive had an S3 8P manual. Also very good, bit clunky at times.

Im currently on an S3 8P DSG. it's a different league. So much better. add a Milltek and it's awesome. The DSG makes the drive easier and gear changes instant.

Makes me wish I had DSG from the beginning.

Go DSG. The more I use it, the better I think it is.

Having had 1 manual 170 and 2 dsg 170's I certianly won't be getting another manual.

:)

I've had a 170 TDI manual 8P. it was very good. I'd have it back if I had the sound of the s3 with a Milly on it!

ive had an S3 8P manual. Also very good, bit clunky at times.

Im currently on an S3 8P DSG. it's a different league. So much better. add a Milltek and it's awesome. The DSG makes the drive easier and gear changes instant.

Makes me wish I had DSG from the beginning.

Go DSG. The more I use it, the better I think it is.

another one for a DSG here, love mine to bits:rock:

I cant help but feel that some of the vavavoom has been lost by going to a DSG..

I thought this too when i had mine, i think DSG is brilliant but sometimes i found myself bored.

S3 stage 1 + dsg = never ending thrill:]. because you don't get this typical to manual jerking through the gears DSG scares sh... out of me no probs now.

I thought this too when i had mine, i think DSG is brilliant but sometimes i found myself bored.

As I've said before you need to take the DSG out of D and start driving the car. Use it the same as I do - as a manual gearbox without a clutch. It then becomes great fun to drive. I'm now on the 3rd A3 with a DSG and number 4 is on the way and I never want to drive an old fashioned manual gearbox ever again.

As I've said before you need to take the DSG out of D and start driving the car. Use it the same as I do - as a manual gearbox without a clutch. It then becomes great fun to drive. I'm now on the 3rd A3 with a DSG and number 4 is on the way and I never want to drive an old fashioned manual gearbox ever again.

ding:thumbsup:

That's what i used to do with mine, it had the paddle shifters so i could get into F1 mode when i found myself getting a bit bored.

I'd have another one tomorrow though, manual is good from time to time but then i think 'god i wish i had my old DSG A3'.. Swings and roundabouts my friend.

The lovely little 'pop' noise you get from changing gears in the DSG is enough reason alone to get one!

The only problem i find with the dsg on mine is when in manual mode you pull the up paddle and there is a 2 second or so delay before the car actually tries to change gear, is this normal?

Chris

The only problem i find with the dsg on mine is when in manual mode you pull the up paddle and there is a 2 second or so delay before the car actually tries to change gear, is this normal?

Chris

When changing up a gear in manual mode this is not normal. But if its when you change down a gear then depending on how you are doing it then it could be normal.

But changing up should be virtually instant, with no loss of power between gear changes.

When changing up a gear in manual mode this is not normal. But if its when you change down a gear then depending on how you are doing it then it could be normal.

But changing up should be virtually instant, with no loss of power between gear changes.

when you not doing anything foot of the throttle dsg will not preselect a gear therefore you get a bit of delay. When you want quick shift you just put your foot down and use either left or right paddle depending on what revs youre on etc.

when you not doing anything foot of the throttle dsg will not preselect a gear therefore you get a bit of delay. When you want quick shift you just put your foot down and use either left or right paddle depending on what revs youre on etc.

As far as I know DSG always pre-selects a gear based on what it "thinks" you are going to do next. I don't think it waits for your foot to be on the throttle before it pre-selects.

I never have any delay when changing up a gear. The only delay I experience is if I change down when the car is expecting a change up... e.g. driving along or gently accelerating in 3rd gear but then dropping down to 2nd to overtake.
And even this delay can be got rid of by firmly pressing the throttle a split second before changing down.

S3 and S-Tronic = Epic Win! :)

As far as I know DSG always pre-selects a gear based on what it "thinks" you are going to do next. I don't think it waits for your foot to be on the throttle before it pre-selects.

That's correct. It always has the 'next gear' selected and as soon as you touch the paddle or stick (in tiptronic mode) or fully automatically in D or S mode, one clutch opens and the other closes. This is why the changes are so quick. The only time they are slightly slower if if the DSG thinks you are going to one thing and you do something different for some reason.

Last edited:
I definitely have a delay when going up a gear with my foot on an even throttle, i was playing around with it seeing how quick the gear changes were and it took a few seconds before the car started to change gear what problem could this indicate with my car?

Chris

My up-changes are instantanious, thats the best thing about the DSG.. You're pulling away while the poor bloke next to you is busy changing gear in his inferior manual :lmfao:

I had a good blast out eariler and for the first time I really pushed the car and the DSG handled everything perfectly... far better than I ever could in a manual :)

Was impressed with the 7-speed DSG in an A5 I had a courtesy car recently, it will always make the car more refined too, not only is the new diesel engine mroe refine but the clutch control is such that there is less gruffness when setting off.

I definitely have a delay when going up a gear with my foot on an even throttle, i was playing around with it seeing how quick the gear changes were and it took a few seconds before the car started to change gear what problem could this indicate with my car?

Chris

there is something wrong with your dsg then mate. Worth take it to a dealer maybe?

It is going in on saturday to have the brake pads done so i will get them to look at it, it is also a little hesitant when pulling away, the clutch is let out then it puts the clutch back in and out again if you move the throttle a tiny bit so i think their might be something wrong, had many scans from audi, amd and danny and no errors came up on the gearbox so baffles me? i have a auto protect warranty but i know how useless they are!

Chris

I have also noticed it take a very long time to engage into reverse if this helps solve what the problem is?

Chris

Its a 54 reg, sure when i went to amd he checked the gearbox specifically and no fault codes were found, how much is a replacement mechatronic unit?

Chris