Got a dump valve

ScottScodude30

Reaction score
Could you tell me where the dump valve goes on my r reg a3 1.8t ? What pipe from the recirculating valve has to go on dump valve? And what vacuum hose do you have to use for the top of dump valve? I heard some don't run right with a dump valve but want to try mine before I make judgement ! Anyone help me?

The DV is a 'dump valve'....

Aftermarket valves replace the DV... if you have an atmospheric valve then don't bother fitting it...

If you want a replacement then use a Forge 007p... if you want noise then get a cone or panel filter and a remap :)

<tuffty/>

My pal has a atmos dv and runs ok with it! Just want to try it out but not sure what pipes go where and where is vacuum hose to go on top of dv? How much is a 180bhp remap roughly? Does fuel consumption go out window?

My pal has a atmos dv and runs ok with it! Just want to try it out but not sure what pipes go where and where is vacuum hose to go on top of dv? How much is a 180bhp remap roughly? Does fuel consumption go out window?

The valve you have (as with all aftermarket valves) replaces the original DV... you don't run them in parallel...

These engines are not designed for atmos valves... the end...

<tuffty/>

I ran my Bailey DV26 for 2000 miles and it was fine on my stage 2 car with an AGU engine, it drank fuel at traffic lights and spat flames on over run a bit more often but it worked well. People say they don't work with later AUM engines and I agree, however there was no running issues and it was just as strong as with a 007p on my stupid AGU.

To fit an atmospheric DV you need to block the pipe from the turbo intake pipe, and the charge pipe. And then buy one of the adaptors which fits in before the throttle body. You can then replace the top hose from the standard valve with a longer one tee'd in from under the inlet manifold.

Like so -

blackwheels094.jpg

That's for a proper install, otherwise you can place it on the charge pipe and use the original hose but cut it down...A bit pikey but works.

To fit a Forge 007p recirculating valve it is a direct replacement. It won't make it any louder though, a cone filter on the standard valve will though.

It is located here -

DIYdv03.jpg

As Jardo said above, the atmospheric DV can be run ON THE AGU without any real side effect with the exception of some slight overfuelling due to the dumping of metered air from the charge system.

This does not mean that it's OK for later engines.

The AGU's ME 3.8 management is as daft as a Labrador. It doesn't know or care and this is why it's OK to do the above.

So, just so we're clear, Atmospheric DV on AGU = :thumbsup:. Atmospheric DV on Amost other 1.8t varients = :sadlike:

Thanks for all comments! I can't seem to finds original fb the top charge pipe has a short samco pipe and had been capped and only valve which looks like original dv hasn't two pipes bottom and side but no place for vacuum hose? So confused?? Help? Also have I got to take turbo off to change oil feed pipe as it has slight leak at pipe at bottom of turbo ??

Thanks for all comments! I can't seem to finds original fb the top charge pipe has a short samco pipe and had been capped and only valve which looks like original dv hasn't two pipes bottom and side but no place for vacuum hose? So confused?? Help? Also have I got to take turbo off to change oil feed pipe as it has slight leak at pipe at bottom of turbo ??

Sounds like someone has been hacking your engine bay about already... photos would help...

What makes you think its the oil feed? thats at the top and you would need to remove the manifold to get to it... I doubt it is that... normally oil over the turbo is from the head... more typically the cam cover gasket around the half moon part of the seal (cyl 4 side)

<tuffty/>

it's coming from metal pipe at bottom of turbo must be oil return pipe? I had oil pressure problems so I knew it was pick up pipe so put new oil pick up pipe as old one was clogged solid so I replaced it and since then I got this little leak mate! Had it on ramps and cleaned and let it run and it is coming from this pipe as it goes into turbo! Hard job? How much is remap too?
Thanks

i've got a 2002 1.8t quattro sport and whoever had the car before me fitted an atmos dv, i've never had any problems running with it at all, no idea what engine is in mine though. but i will be replacing it with a recirc at some point, need to fix a few mechanical problems first though.

it's coming from metal pipe at bottom of turbo must be oil return pipe? I had oil pressure problems so I knew it was pick up pipe so put new oil pick up pipe as old one was clogged solid so I replaced it and since then I got this little leak mate! Had it on ramps and cleaned and let it run and it is coming from this pipe as it goes into turbo! Hard job? How much is remap too?
Thanks

Yes, oil return pipe.... do you mean on the sump or the turbo itself? you only need to undo the one on the sump when you remove the sump for work you did...

New gasket is advised every time really... get one from Audi or TPS

Easy job on ramps but yo will have to drain the oil so if its fresh make sure you have something clean to drain it into or just get some more...

No idea on a remap price...

<tuffty/>

i've got a 2002 1.8t quattro sport and whoever had the car before me fitted an atmos dv, i've never had any problems running with it at all, no idea what engine is in mine though. but i will be replacing it with a recirc at some point, need to fix a few mechanical problems first though.

AUM on yours... change it for a 007p or an OEM one at the very least...

<tuffty/>

i belive i have a 007p in my glovebox, i know he gave me a forge recirc when i brought the car, more concerned about getting the steering fixed at the moment though, stupid cars...

It's the turbo end as in leaking where it connects to turbo mate ! Any ideas ? Hard job ?
Thanks

It's the turbo end as in leaking where it connects to turbo mate ! Any ideas ? Hard job ?
Thanks

Can't remember off hand but access is the issue... if its the gasket then 'all you have to do' is undo 2 cap screws to remove the drain from the bottom of the turbo and replace with a genuine metal gasket (paper ones are rubbish)

There will be a driveshaft, downpipe and possibly the turbo support bracket that will potentially be in the way... have a look underneath and see how much room you have..

<tuffty/>

Help I ain't got a original dv on my car it looks like its been capped off on the top hose going to air filter box? Could it run with no fb at all?

fb? you NEED to fit a DV of some description... it will damage the turbo else...

<tuffty/>

Would it run without tho? Can't understand where it is and where the vacuum hose would be ? Surely it would be running ****ty with no dv? Can u help ?

Without see the engine bay then I can't really suggest much else as it would appear someone has had a mess about under the bonnet...

Take pics and post... I may be able to see whats going on then..

<tuffty/>

I ran both my Evo's with no DV, you will find many an argument about why you should or should not ensure you have one fitted. The car will run without it though (if its removed and blanked off that is)

Most people will suggest you MUST have a DV fitted or you will damage the turbo. In reality you would need to be running pretty serious boost to damage a turbo by stalling it (which is what happens if you have no DV)

Rally cars tend not to run a DV hence you get the awesome "pigeon" sound on lift off. This is the sound some people incorrectly refer to as "wastegate chatter" What the sound actually is, is the noise of the turbine blades "chopping" the high pressure air which is no longer flowing through the compressor housing due to the inlet butterfly being closed (since you have lifted off the throttle)

I ran both my Evo's and various other turbocharged cars for thousands of miles, some in excess of 1.5bar with no DV's fitted and had no issues, but at the end of the day its up to you. On my S3 I am running a 007p purely because I had one lying about.

Oh also worth noting that some turbocharged cars actually come with no DV at all, Nissan 200SX S13 being a prime example.

K03/4 turbos are fragile mate... small spindle... no DV will break them... have seen a K03 hybrid in pieces due to DV failure (essentially no DV)

I would not EVER recommend anyone to run with out one on these turbos.... yes it will still run but dump valves/DV/whatever are a safety feature and you run a serious risk of prematurely damaging the turbo from compressor stll by not having one..

Your choice at the end of the day but comparing an A3 to an Evo is not the best idea and the 200sx only ran 5psi std IIRC...

<tuffty/>

TBH I thought the K03/04's looked quite puny in all fairness and at the end of the day Im running the forge beast myself. Yes as std the 200's run about 10psi but I was running mine at 1.6bar without the DV and had no issues, but then as you have pointed out its not the same turbo. If your saying there fragile then I would have to take your word for it as my experience has come from jap stuff which is generally pretty sturdy ! LOL

Im not suggesting anyone does run without one fitted, merely stating that the car will run and it may or may not cause you turbo problems. The proven setup on here is run a 007p so if anyone was asking for advice I would stick to whats tried and tested.

K03/4 turbos are fragile mate... small spindle... no DV will break them... have seen a K03 hybrid in pieces due to DV failure (essentially no DV)

I would not EVER recommend anyone to run with out one on these turbos.... yes it will still run but dump valves/DV/whatever are a safety feature and you run a serious risk of prematurely damaging the turbo from compressor stll by not having one..

Your choice at the end of the day but comparing an A3 to an Evo is not the best idea and the 200sx only ran 5psi std IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Not so much purely jap stuff. It`ll be the GT turbos they`re fitted with. My mates S14a runs no dv and was mapped yesterday running 1.3bar @405bhp with S15 spec turbo.

Most people when buying an Sbody remove the standard valve straight away for that "pidgeon noise" as they call it :p

mmm GT28R :) roller bearing T28 turbo, nice bit of kit. I had the GT28R hybrid fitted to my S body and it was rather sweet !

Not so much purely jap stuff. It`ll be the GT turbos they`re fitted with. My mates S14a runs no dv and was mapped yesterday running 1.3bar @405bhp with S15 spec turbo.

Most people when buying an Sbody remove the standard valve straight away for that "pidgeon noise" as they call it :p

Garrett turbo's are much sturdier than K03/4's... still wouldn't run my GT30 without a DV though ;P

<tuffty/>

GT series are not that much sturdier than a K03!

Some shaft measurements:

K03/4 is 4.6mm
GT25 is 5.1mm
T2/25 is 6mm
T3 is 6.3mm

Reactions: Tat2dan84
I too want a T3, looking at the cost and the power...I think it is the most cost effective way of getting enough power.

yeh, folk seem to suggest they'll be extremely laggy, however i recon if you choose the right parts and the right turbo it'll be not too much different to a GT28RS.

Right I've installed my new dv in place on to hose going to air filter box and t'd into a vacuum hose it's running ok but can't hardly hear anything dumping maybe a tiny bit bit I'm not sure? Could I text you some pics matey?

Where should it go then? Tried on top metal charge pipe but didn't do anything there either ? Help