How do you know which gearbox you have ??

[ QUOTE ]
You say you have a 'nagging wife'. Does she nag you about your driving ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try using your guitar finger on her... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The change pattern seems different depending on the level of acceleration / revs etc. If I waft along in D (or M) on a light throttle it changes very gently over a longer period of changeover where the clutches swap. Harder on the gas at more revs and it changes up or down instantly with a pleasing positive action where you can feel the jolt of the change. The tacho moves so quickly that you'd swear it was lying.

When I test drove a TDI DSG it was very much the same and worked brilliantly in AUTO to keep the engine on boost between 2k and 4k where the useable power is. Any lower or higher was a waste of time, and the DSG in auto saved zillions of manual gearchanges.

Stops that: brrrrrrrmmmm BOOOOOOSSSSST change up, oh off boost, brrrrrrrrrmmmm BOOOST change up, oh off boost, brrrrrrrrrmmmm BOOOST etc etc etc....

[ QUOTE ]
You say you have a 'nagging wife'. Does she nag you about your driving ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Constantly, as she never had the inclination to learn to drive herself.

[ QUOTE ]
Try using your guitar finger on her...

[/ QUOTE ]
Errrm, she likes a bit of middle finger but that's a different topic for another time.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The change pattern seems different depending on the level of acceleration / revs etc. If I waft along in D (or M) on a light throttle it changes very gently over a longer period of changeover where the clutches swap. Harder on the gas at more revs and it changes up or down instantly with a pleasing positive action where you can feel the jolt of the change. The tacho moves so quickly that you'd swear it was lying.

When I test drove a TDI DSG it was very much the same and worked brilliantly in AUTO to keep the engine on boost between 2k and 4k where the useable power is. Any lower or higher was a waste of time, and the DSG in auto saved zillions of manual gearchanges.

Stops that: brrrrrrrmmmm BOOOOOOSSSSST change up, oh off boost, brrrrrrrrrmmmm BOOOST change up, oh off boost, brrrrrrrrrmmmm BOOOST etc etc etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

miket,

That's exactly right. If your on light throttle cruising in manual mode, or any other mode then it smoothes out the change, pretty much as you would do by feathering the clutch. If your gunning it, it drops the clutch a lot quicker. This is perfect in my book. If your cruising in a manual you dont bother side stepping the clutch pedal do you !

My manual 6 speed is fine, in fact its better than fine, I have no complaints abot the change, although 1st seems a tad too low.....

I forewent the nagging wife option myself. I found that for the additional cost I could really just do without. I have gone for the 'empty passenger seat' option instead. Much better acoustically for listening to painfully loud music and far less annoying feedback when you drive the christ out of it around suburban roads constantly flaunting road rules. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah that's definitely supeior. I've heard the insurance companies tend to jack up your insurance group by about 2-3 grades if you take this up though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I must have the best of both worlds. A lovely wife who never ever nags about anything. All the advantages of a wife and none of the disavantages.

[ QUOTE ]
I must have the best of both worlds. A lovely wife who never ever nags about anything. All the advantages of a wife and none of the disavantages.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's cause she's milking your bank account and nobbin' the gardener /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

(slightly off topic)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David that's cheating - we all know your wife reads this forum!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heeello Missus Robinson!

elgraduado01.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heeello Missus Robinson!

elgraduado01.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Class /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

bowfer... I think the one thing the DSG is famous for it the fastest change ever... think I'm right saying it's faster than the ferrari F1 gearboxes... maybe not the enzo...

manual clearly isn't best anymore for speed, but control of the car I'd say it still is, hense the manual downshifts on F1 cars!

and whoever drove the 360 around thruxton, I've driven one a couple of times and yes it's a pain but "you" are supposed to lift off slightly on up shifts to make them smooth...

as someone else said, sounds like lots of people are buying the wrong gearbox for there driving style!