Anything need to be done to go with bigger rims?

Padwick

A3 2.0TFSI Quattro
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my alloys from the standard 17" to 19" and either go wider on the back or geth them spaced out farther into the arch.

Do I need to get anything done with sensors, etc for the quattro system when I change to ensure it still works?

Not as far as i'm aware mate, only thing you need to watch out for is rubbing on the arches and ride height. :happy: But i'm sure one of the experts will be along shortly to give you the full low down!

Preferable if front and rear tyres are same width for Quattro system to perform properly.

Tyre pressure sensors managed by ABS rotation so no issues there.

If you go wider you may get arch rub. I ran 19" ET42's on 8.5J rims and got slightest arch rub on rear with 235/35/19's (S3 OEM ride height). If you lower the car much you may have to adjust your geometry slightly to get it to run clean.

N8 is a wheel guru so when you find some rims you want he'll be able to say if they'll fit.

Thanks to you both. I won't be lowering the car at all.

I think you'll need to lower the car mate to get it looking right, but good luck!

I would 10000% lower it before putting bigger wheels on or you'll look like your driving a range rover

They become too sore on suspension parts when they're lowered, plus I really hate the look of something with the wheels disappearing up into the arches.
I'd even go just up to 18" which I'd think would keep the full circumference (wheel+tyre) closer to what it is now. The main issue with the look though is the rear wheel being around 1" to 1.5" farther in than the top of the arch. Makes it look like it's on casters :)

Trust me mate, it won't look right. The wheels won't be disappearing into the arches, it's all about the stance of the car. Have a look on the rims thread most if not all of them cars have been lowered. To get the perfect look on 19's you'd need to get the car slightly lower and some spacers depending on what the width of the wheels is.

Wheres N8 when you need him!

It's amazing how bigger rims accentuate arch gap. I'm having to drop front of mine 25mm to square her up as it looks like a speed boat with the 19's and reverse rake stance.

Some beautiful rims in that thread but there's a fair few with the rear wheel disappearing up underneath the car.
I don't think I could ever lower a car. Just a pet hate, and don't want to be throwing ball joints and bushes at it for every MOT and probably in between too. That thread has told me that I need RS4's though. Beautiful looking on the A3.

Just sold my 19" RS4 rims to RS4Dene on here today. They are a top rim.

Like you I always like to see the top of the wheel without it being eclipsed by the arch!

Padwick,

Its not about lowering your car but when you go to a larger rim size, the ride height is compromised therefore you would've only need to lower it approximately 25mm to have it look reasonable again with great stance. I recently upgraded to 19s (from 18s) and my car is in need of lowering (to be done imminently).

Don't lose that thought about going to 19's :) Seems like you've got a nice car and a set of 19s would set it off nicely. Eibachs lowering springs appear to be choice of lowering springs without affecting ride quality.

KKP

Reactions: Sheikh
Im in this boat aswell as (time to come out of the closet).....Im rolling on stock.

Have decided on 19" RS4's aswell.

My thinking has always been the same as Padwick, im reluctant to lower it. Scared about loosing ride comfort, resale value & yet more money out of my wallet.

I too am looking at spacers, saw RS4 today with big spacers on and looked amazing.

So how much does it generally cost to lower our cars? Even if it is not a dramatic ammount.

Also, would you ever buy a used car that has been lowered? I have heard a few oppinions that would walk away from one.

I've got KW\Wietecs on order from AMD Essex and they will cost me £349, Supply, Fit and re-alignment of geometry. The latter definately needs to be done.

I would be too concerned about resale but I would recommend keeping hold of your OEM parts so that you can replace them at time selling your car allowing you to sell your Lowering springs \ wheels off onto a new home.

I wanted to go for Eibachs for my S3 however as they are a softer ride however Eibachs are only (Strangely) available for the fronts hence KWs \ Wietecs.

Forgot to mention before - go for 225 35 19s instead of 235 to avoid the possibilities of wheel arch rubbing

KKP

Cheers for all the info guys, especailly on the tyre size to go for.
I'm going today to look at a few wheels, I'll post some pics when I get sorted out. If it looks wrong then 25mm wouldn't be too drastic to correct it.

go with 19s wished i had my 18 speedlines have dissapointed me to be honest im looking to swap or sell mine in the future