Different 2.0tdi engines ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
In the process of ordering a tuningbox for my car.
Some dealers' fitment charts mention two different standard power outputs for the 2.0tdi.

Some say 136bhp and some say 140bhp.

I thought there was one type and one type only ( the 140 ).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

That did occur to me but one of the sellers specifically states two different types,and improvements,as follows.

(It was a german link provided by Japper).

136 - 155 bhp
140 - 160 bhp

It doesn't actually say the box is different though.

There are two versions of the 2.0 TDI. Ours is the 140PS with a 16 valve head. the other is a 136PS model with a 8 valve head. I think the 8v is sold in some countries, but not in the UK afaik.

[ QUOTE ]
There are two versions of the 2.0 TDI. Ours is the 140PS with a 16 valve head. the other is a 136PS model with a 8 valve head. I think the 8v is sold in some countries, but not in the UK afaik.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think when the 2.0TDI was first relesed in the touran it was 136ps. It's just a spec change by VAG, they both have 16v heads.

How do you intend 'testing' yours Japper ?
Obviously we don't have access to a rolling road,so it'll have to be a 'seat of the pants' test.

Assuming you will get your box before me,and you're up for it,perhaps we should spend half an hour or so comparing your 'tuned' car with my standard one in a straight acceleration test ?

If your car is substantially quicker,that'll be fine.

Then,once I get my box,we could arrange the same thing again.If my car is then able to keep up with yours,we're both happy blokes !

Edited;
Might be handy to judge the 'smoke levels' of each others cars as well.

Im amaized at the LOW Bhp of these New 2.0 Tdis !

We have all seen what can be done to them, why isnt this happening from standard ?

[ QUOTE ]
Im amaized at the LOW Bhp of these New 2.0 Tdis !

We have all seen what can be done to them, why isnt this happening from standard ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing!

If they put the 2.0TDI out with 170 BHP, why would anyone buy a much more expensive 2.5TDI "only" pushing out 10BHP more? and so forth across the range.

Kev.

Does anyone know what BMW diesel's put out for BHP and torque, with their 2.00, 2.5, and 3.0 engines.

There's very few of these 2.0TDIs that come with 138 though...most are pushing out at least 150bhp. A3's and Golfs...

Mine measured 153 and 155bhp on two seperate RR before it was remapped.

My car has only done around 700 miles,so is probably still tighter than a nun's chuff,but it certainly doesn't feel like it's putting out 150+ bhp.
I'd say 130ish bhp feels about right.
Perhaps the added weight of the Sportback knocks the edge of it a wee bit ?

[ QUOTE ]
If they put the 2.0TDI out with 170 BHP, why would anyone buy a much more expensive 2.5TDI "only" pushing out 10BHP more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 2.5TDI is 5cyl so it will behave differently... more of a cruiser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It's so easy for turbocharged cars (petrol or diesel) to be offered in different states of tune that I'm always amazed manufacturers don't offer 'tune-ups' as a factory option.

I'd have been quite happy to pay,say,another £500 at the time of order to up the BHP to 170,for example.

Why they offer their engines in one state of tune and one only is beyond me.
You'd think they'd want a slice of the very obvious aftermarket demand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they put the 2.0TDI out with 170 BHP, why would anyone buy a much more expensive 2.5TDI "only" pushing out 10BHP more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 2.5TDI is 5cyl so it will behave differently... more of a cruiser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2.5TDi (as used in A4) is a V6 and much quieter and more refined than the 2.0TDi tractor

[/ QUOTE ]
The 2.5TDi (as used in A4) is a V6 and much quieter and more refined than the 2.0TDi tractor

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey,if you think the 2.0tdi is a "tractor",what would you have called the 1.9tdi.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Well Lamborghini started off building tactors.. so there is hope.

They should dump the 2.5 TDI V6 into the A3, that would be awesome!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey,if you think the 2.0tdi is a "tractor",what would you have called the 1.9tdi.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Printing press, maybe ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Bowfer give it time...

They feel very tight at the start. It will be a different car in about 7-10K.

I appreciate it needs time to slacken off Mark_N,which is why I mentioned that it's tight,but I wouldn't expect to feel like it's gained another 20bhp !

I've had quite a few 150bhp cars,so I think I know what 150+bhp should feel like.
I really don't feel that my A3 is any faster than my 130bhp A4 1.9tdi.
Perhaps I had a 'good' A4.
Perhaps I have a 'poor' A3.

Without a dyno test or back to back 'race' with another A3,I can only go by seat of the pants and my pants tell me less than 150 bhp !

Your 1.9 probably was pushing out more than 130 too though.

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate it needs time to slacken off Mark_N,which is why I mentioned that it's tight,but I wouldn't expect to feel like it's gained another 20bhp !

I've had quite a few 150bhp cars,so I think I know what 150+bhp should feel like.
I really don't feel that my A3 is any faster than my 130bhp A4 1.9tdi.
Perhaps I had a 'good' A4.
Perhaps I have a 'poor' A3.

Without a dyno test or back to back 'race' with another A3,I can only go by seat of the pants and my pants tell me less than 150 bhp !

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, mine has felt quick from the start, well from 1k onwards anyway. In comparison to my golf 150PD ( probably 165bhp ish ) it beats it everywhere. So I would expect yours to whip your 130 pd A4.

Give me a shout next week and we'll do a back to back. I should have the tuning box by then as well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come beck to this when I have more time to respond, but I think you've both missed the point.

Just have a think about the cost difference between a 2.0 and a 2.5. Why buy a 2.5, when you can buy a 2.0 for considerably less and with £500 have it perform as if it were a 2.5 - thats why Audi don't offer the service, they would loose sales of other models.

And someone mentioned why only offer one engin in one state of tune... They don't, look how many varients the 1.9tdi came in... 90, 100, 110, 130, 150 (VW).

Kev.

you forgot the 115 and the 160bhp 1.9's across the vag range.
sorry to be picky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep, afraid so.

Just goes to show what they will achieve out of the new 2.00 TDI, soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Similiar to when they bought out the 1.8 Turbo engine, firstly 150 bhp, then ranged through 163, 180, 190, 210, 225 and now finally 240. All as stock. A variable range of 90 bhp!

And now the 2.00 TFSI with 200 BHP, the first 220 stock has come out on the DTM A4. Another 90 bhp would be nice for that engine too.

Yeh but it's not simply a matter of oh turn up the 1.8T it's going into a TT or whatver.

It has quite a few different parts such as different turbo internals etc

The 2.0TDI is good for 200bhp at least anyway IMO.

Well, you learn something new everyday, and i didn't know any of the above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif