Storing the A4 For The Winter

It must of been a turning point as the demand was there and since 05 Audi have capitalised from the S-Line Brand, Common YES on all the Model range from 2005 to present. This topic will go for ever as we both have different outlooks on car's, yours is Value and Practicality. Mine is my living,Hobby and long term ownership along with enjoying the clubs,show and event's... Same with the Golf I have veiwed loads of Golf GTI's (since june) again Dealers and private.. I traveled from Wales to Plymouth to buy it, again i wanted a clean well maintained car.

The bottom line is as stated before The S-line emblem and Trim level and engine spec was placed on the A4 B6 it's as simple as that, i'm not braging about it i'm just happy that i own one. I'm 40 years old and have owned many car's most were RS's GTi, Gsi 'm sport' brand's but my A4 just feel's like the complete package.

It's all "midlife crisis" is all about ? As the other said, it's just a car, i am a dealer too and i see them just as tools-some nicer and better than others...

If s-line is common, then so it m-tec/m-sport. Looks like BMW decided to cash in too. You don't always need a quattro in the snow either. Mine coped fine in the snow last year didn't get stuck once! Mine's a fwd avant and its auto with wide summer tyres (so should have been useless!). You don't just buy a car for the winter because it's 'better' in the snow/ice either. You buy it so if some other idiot hits it it really doesn't matter as much!

It's all "midlife crisis" is all about ? As the other said, it's just a car, i am a dealer too and i see them just as tools-some nicer and better than others...

As Colin said previous shows the difference between TRUE enthusiasts who treat their cars with care it deserves. As you say you’re a dealer so you would never come close to understanding as if you looked at cars this way you wouldn’t be able to buy and sell them! You say its a midlife crisis I say its proper enthusiast taking care of his hobby every one has some sort of hobby and if Colin chooses to keep his mint A4 in pristine condition as his hobby who is anyone to judge him? For example if a stamp collector keeps his/her stamps in plastic wallets to protect them are they too having a midlife crisis?? F**K NO their simple protecting their hobby just like Colin taking his A4 of the road for WINTER to simple protect his hobby from the HARSE weather. In the same way a stamp collector keeps stamps as protected as possible simply fact he’s enjoying his hobby and if you saw the car in the flesh you may understand how much time and effort goes into his A4. just because you don’t understand the attraction to being enthusiastic about doesn’t mean other have the same views!

If s-line is common, then so it m-tec/m-sport. Looks like BMW decided to cash in too. You don't always need a quattro in the snow either. Mine coped fine in the snow last year didn't get stuck once! Mine's a fwd avant and its auto with wide summer tyres (so should have been useless!). You don't just buy a car for the winter because it's 'better' in the snow/ice either. You buy it so if some other idiot hits it it really doesn't matter as much!

exactly!! and like i said above its more to do with protecting his hobby from the idiots you mention. :friends:

Thank you Both.. I just want to take care of my car's.. Midlife Crisis don't make me laugh. I would of bought a 911 if that was the case . Crazy talk. Anyway i'm looking forward to ADI next weekend along with many other AUDI ENTHUSIASTS..

Last edited:
I can CMD's point as he wants to look after his car and no one can argue with that. I'm finding it hard to understand the fear of winter though. I mean my car is 7 years old and has been through 6 winters without me, whats going to happen to it? should I be worried, last year I drove it 100 miles most days, and did a 5 hour trip in the snow. but we only had snow for about 6 days.

IMG_0191-1.jpg
I like the idea with the black grill. Does it unclip easily and did you also paint the lower grills?

Yes Open up bonnet and just push the clips and pull at the same time.. The lower grill is easy just pull on the top of the and work your war round.. I have the Chrome grills back in at the moment.

This is one long argument...
Awesome looking car CMD, mine would be i a garage over winter too if mine was that nice, i had a garage and a spare car :)
Just got the 1.9 Sport and loving it, going to mod it when ive got it all right. Few things like new clutch/brakes/tyres are first on my list.

Cheers Scott.. The car is NOT perfect or without it's problem's, stone chips and the odd scratch or two so it will never be mint but I look after it the best i can.. You are doing what the car needs first which is good to see..

Last edited:
Long time , How's thing's and where have you been

It has been time dude, not bad, you keeping ok bud? Ive not been online all that much to be honest and been massively thinking of selling up.. after having to pay out for a gearbox clutch flywheel etc and general mpg blues... however now im trying to talk myself into keeping it and getting a map along with some other bits haha!

It has been time dude, not bad, you keeping ok bud? Ive not been online all that much to be honest and been massively thinking of selling up.. after having to pay out for a gearbox clutch flywheel etc and general mpg blues... however now im trying to talk myself into keeping it and getting a map along with some other bits haha!

Shizz What went wrong with the gearbox? I know how it feels to have the clutch go Big spend's are hard to take. I also understand why you are thinking of selling up (i felt like that after GTI Inters) I was looking at r32's and Edition 30 golf's. The trouble is the B6 1.8T's are/have dropped in value, so in my mind there is no point in selling...Being part VW show scene with the Polo and now the Golf mk4 takes up alot of my time, but at the moment my A4 is the car i like being when ever i get the chance.. The remap will make you want to keep it..

Shizz What went wrong with the gearbox? I know how it feels to have the clutch go Big spend's are hard to take. I also understand why you are thinking of selling up (i felt like that after GTI Inters) I was looking at r32's and Edition 30 golf's. The trouble is the B6 1.8T's are/have dropped in value, so in my mind there is no point in selling...Being part VW show scene with the Polo and now the Golf mk4 takes up alot of my time, but at the moment my A4 is the car i like being when ever i get the chance.. The remap will make you want to keep it..

Had a whine which got worse with time and turned out to be a bearing noise coming from the box :( given the mileage it was about right to get all the other bits done whilst it was out.. Yeah its verrry disheartening (and harsh on the wallet) which made me lose faith. Kinda back to loving it now proper good looking cars, only reason i was thinking about it was to get a diesel for super mpg :\

Thats what im hoping! If it transforms the drive like people claim :) - time for a freshen up to get the love back if its staying! a friends just but an open induction kit on his ibiza cupra... and although I know all too well they just suffer from heatsoak, it sounds amazing haha :) want the noise badly..

so many plans!

Yours is looking so good on the ch's now man

Had a whine which got worse with time and turned out to be a bearing noise coming from the box :( given the mileage it was about right to get all the other bits done whilst it was out.. Yeah its verrry disheartening (and harsh on the wallet) which made me lose faith. Kinda back to loving it now proper good looking cars, only reason i was thinking about it was to get a diesel for super mpg :\

Thats what im hoping! If it transforms the drive like people claim :) - time for a freshen up to get the love back if its staying! a friends just but an open induction kit on his ibiza cupra... and although I know all too well they just suffer from heatsoak, it sounds amazing haha :) want the noise badly..

so many plans!

Yours is looking so good on the ch's now man

Good on ya mate keep with it..

Droped the car off yesterday for 6 months. I did not cry honestly. I wanted to wash the car but the weather was proper crap so the guy's at jp board said it's fine for me to use ther water supply next weekend to give the car the full work's before it goes into hiding, whilst it's there they will MOT it (nov 17th) and service it in december. I have now SORN the car as the tax is now up, will post up some pic's next weekend.

I asked how much the storage was going to cost me for the 6 month's (holding my breath). Paul the owner said (rubbing his chin) how does £20 a month sound, (big smile) from me and said ya thats fine.

The Golf/Runt as my fellow Welsh Audi owner's call it (as it's the 150 T version) has had Full winter service inc all filters, new disc's and Pad's Temp sender and Thermostat and housing , coolant change twice (don't ask) New bulbs in all four light's (that was Fun) New roof Aerial and seal, New dipstick guide I broke the dam thing (replaced with GSF item £2.24p all in). I had the car scaned by Rhys (A3 forum member/tuner) and power runs / logged , he gave me the thumb's up so all is well with the 1.8t 150 bhp Runt, remap maybe next year (shhshh)

Being a VW I thought the cost of part's was much,much cheaper (TPS) than Audi Parts'. Myself a Drmole aka Darren from the B7 forum came over to help so garage cost's were zero. Darren I think is falling for the Golf as he loves working on it (his words)..I have a soft spot for it also, but Black Matalic Pearl is a hard colour to keep clean. I know (looking at my wife) it's our winter car and i said i would not spend to much time and money on it, but I / we still have to take care of it regardless..

People say oooohh you must have some money to keep 3 car's going. I say Bull Sh*t the Golf i have been saving for since June (myself and wife) Total cost to date inc the price of the car works out at a tad over £1,700 which is not bad for a MK4 GTI with all the boxes ticked. The Polo over 4.5 years inc the car and all the mods wheel's ,leather ect ect cost her £5,000. The A4 to date cost me all in £13,000 all in over 4 Years To insure all 3 car's 2 are insured for Pleasure use the Golf for social and domestic use worked out to be £670 for multi car insurance. I tax the Audi For 6 month's only . The Golf came with over 7 months tax, we have no kids and work 6 day's a week 7 if i'm detailing car's.

+1 I love the grill, how do I go about getting rid of the chrome?

Your cars looks great CMD. Totally understand why your storing it for the winter. When I had my civic type-r years ago when they first came out I never used it in the rain, always covered it up, and never used it from mid sept to around march. Had it over 2 years and sold it better than new. Ok it was only a Honda but it was my pride and joy.

I'm a professional detailer myself and working on cars and making your own car immaculate is such a good feeling. My wife uses my Audi daily and I hate it, I cannot wait till I get another car that I can restore to better than new and use on sunny days again. Even my detailing van gets tucked up in my workshop and kept immaculate,

Cheers Ian

WOW !!! some arguement this is aint it colin...... Dont see the problem white akita if colin chooses to take pride in his toy then surely thats his problem..... if hes got the extra pennys to buy a second motor then thats up to him..... i love my audi but i personally wouldnt take that much pride in mine, but thats my choice, my subaru was my garage toy never dirty etc etc......my audi is my one car i own for mpg and a safe family car......and yes 4wd gets you through the white stuff better but still hits the kerbs just as quick if your not carefull.....

Spent all day today given the car on final clean and preping it for storage.

I didn't want to go overboard with lashing's of high-end products as the car was going to be kept dry and away from the elements
So cleaning and sealing was my plan of attack.

Started with the wheel's (as always) Cleaned only NO tyre dressing NO rim sealeant.

IMG_1581-1-1.jpg

Nice and Clean..
IMG_1580-1-1.jpg

I Didn't use a jet wash on the car's panels as there was no heavy build up of dirt or traffic film.

Used a weak mix of G101 on the panel's and grill's

Cleaned the Grills on the car before removing them (easier)

IMG_1584-2.jpg

Made sure i cleaned the boot drain channel's

IMG_1614-2.jpg

Before washing i gave the lower's and sill's a few blast's of Tardis to loosen up any tar.

Tardis at work
IMG_1604-1-1.jpg

Drying off before going inside
IMG_1626-1-1.jpg

I used Jetseal 109 for protection.. I have used this product time and time again over the winter months on all makes of car's and offers great protection

IMG_1634-1.jpg

I gave all the rubber seal's and trim a good amount of AG VRC as again it's a good allrounder.

IMG_1632-1.jpg

I used Gliptone LC every few months on the A4's leather

50/50 Shot.
IMG_1644-1.jpg

IMG_1573-1.jpg

Job Done
IMG_1650-2.jpg

Last edited:
I know but it's just me.. The Golf will have to fill the gap for 6 months i'm taking the seats out of the golf to give them a good clean 'o no your not say the wife'..

if i had the space to this to my baby then i would in a heartbeat as you know i love my car as much as you do col , can't fault you mate for storing your motor one the nasty winter months

wish mine was clean enough for it to be worth storing but at 3k you get what ya pay for lmao

no meaning mine little rough and would need full paint job which my car isnt worth next time it will be a minter but mine came up perfect time perfect money for the spec.... and cant be made any better with wax n polish lol

Hi Col hope your well mate ,A4 and polo looking great as always.Have'nt been on for ages and can't believe the reaction to you wanting to keep your cars in the best condition you can and if that means taking them off the road for the winter then fair play to you.I can see where your coming from on the s-line conversation,to me many models that were the first of the line become extra special take bmw m3 the 1st models (think its the E30) are extra special over later models but thats in my opinion ,so why should'nt the b6 190 s-line be special in our opinion?Our opinions don't effect anyone else as everybody is entitled to their own .Wish i still had mine the passat is pretty quick and cheaper to run but its pretty souless doesn't make me smile or feel special like the 190 did it was just a well sorted car .Can't wait for my trade to pick up so i can again have something that makes me smile again ,but thats probably something some people will never understand as to them a car is just a car but how come there are any on here? Take care Colin hope to catch up with you again sometime goodluck with the Golf .

Helllooo Rog. Nice to hear from you. I hope you are all well. Thanks for you support mate. I missed you at the show's this year, will you pop along to any next year.

Hope to get to gti inter or Aitp but car shows are not the same in the Passat ,just doesn't feel that your part of anything ,well fed up really .Keep looking at the trader and dreaming fancy a nice R32 but can't see it happening ,if it looks like I'm coming to any shows I'll get in touch hows ur mate with the s4 ,was it twiggy ?

Twiggy's (Grant) he's fine doing his own thing, he was going to move to NZ in march 2012 but it looks like a NO go. I to was looking at selling the A4 for a R32, but i could not bring myself to part with the A4, so I bought the MK4 gti as a little runaround but have started to do little bit's and bobs to it . I attended most of the show's this year in the VW Polo with other forums and again in 2012 I will hit the shows in the Polo or Golf to help drum up some business (detailing). Rog keep in touch mate as it's been a long time since we have had a chat.

if i had a place to store my car over winter, i would.

credit to you.

Nice rides there fella- I would love a storage place :-(

Thank you. It's the first time i have ever stored a car . I have to thank JP Board (car dealer) for freeing up some space. The Polo is in full winter mode and look's bog standard now

if i had a place to store my car over winter, i would.

credit to you.

Thanks Bowen . I may not get a chance next year so pleased that the car is away for 1 winter .

A tiny update. I bought spare rigid Coolant pipes x2 for my 1.8T and sent them off for Powdercoat.

Chrome Powdercoat.

IMG_1810-1.jpg

IMG_1812-1.jpg

Little up date . I went to check on the A4 yesterday to see how the powdercoated coolant pipe looked. Pictures are a little dark due to car being stored deep in the bowels at JP Board's

IMG_1851-2.jpg

IMG_1850-2.jpg

col do you have any pics of your polo m8......

cheers mark

My A4 is now out from it's winter storage and is now in the body shop to have a few minor things done, whilst it was in storage I had some engine bay parts Chrome powder coated. 2 pipes have been fitted just these two items left to fit

e5ab6c7c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Col,

How things? Looking forward to driving the audi?

Where did you buy the coolant pipes and Rocker cover? Wouldnt mind getting some fresh looking bits in the engine bay!