Fit my r32 arb

s3gazz

Reaction score
Well for anyone again who wants to no the difference on standered suspension it's great handles amazing no body roll at all can frow it around the corner now well werth mob and cheap best one so for me for it's money .
Easy to fit as well one bolt as always a tw.t got a solid car now ha

did you do both or just rear ??? When I had just the rear done the car felt a little uneasy at speed changing lanes.

One bolt?! Mine, and I'm sure others, are held in with 4 bolts...

Thought one side of the ARB clipped in and then just one bolt to do the other side over the bush ??? Might be wrong manys years have past since I did mine and many pints have been drunk lol

he replaced the rear, its 19mm. held in by two bushes and clamps, 2 bolts on each, and then another bolt on each drop link.
you have to remove or lower the exhaust and its heat shielding to fit it. so alot more bolts than 1 lol

Soz for the confusment one bolt on the drop link to arm was a tw.t buy nothing wd cannot solve lol.

It was the rear r32 arb with 2 new bushes mate and same as supercarl said more than one bolt there's 10 altogether
and a 1 hour job can swing it like mad now ha

Did you get it from VW? How much and any part numbers?

what mk r32 do i get one of these from? having a search but cant find the info i need?

ive seen one, its off a mk5 r32 3.2 v6? is that the one i want?

cheers

Definitely gonna try and get one sorted for spring. Did you find there was any understeer before with the standard setup?

Nice little upgrade.
Is it worth doing the front and rear from a R32 on our S3's?

How much are these new then? Can't find one second hand anywhere and reaaaaaaaally want one like ASAP

Is it worth doing the front and rear from a R32 on our S3's?

Just do the rear one and keep the standard S3 front one. If you do both you will still have a fair bit of understeer just the car wont roll as much.

What about mk5 rear ARB's will they work?

No mate. The 8L S3 is the same chassis as the Mk4 golf so the Mk5 ARB wont fit.

Just been told I can have rear arb with collars bushes and drop links for £60 posted!!

Good deal? He said its in good nick.

Is it really that bad if u up rate the front bar? I was looking at the h&r kits

Basically the thicker the front bar the more understeer you will get. And the thinner the rear bar the more understeer. This is why as standard the front bar is always thicker than the rear. The H&R and Neuspeed kits should be fine as they've been designed to improve the handling.

What size rear ARB did you get as on ETKA there is several sizes listed for the R32 13mm to 16mm and 19mm?

Last edited:

Basically the thicker the front bar the more understeer you will get. And the thinner the rear bar the more understeer. This is why as standard the front bar is always thicker than the rear. The H&R and Neuspeed kits should be fine as they've been designed to improve the handling.

As Westy said... with ARB's its getting a fine balance between under and over steer to find the balance that suits your driving style... the OEM setups are nearly always tailored to understeer as this is deemed safer for 99% of the great unwashed...

Thicker ARB's also increase the effective spring rate making the ride a little stiffer and effect the way dampers react too.. there is a load of info in the FAQ's in the stickies regarding some testing that was done by one member on here (Ess Three)... he favours 22mm front and 19mm rear which balances the car out for more neutral handling...

The popular R32 ARB swap is 23mm front and 19mm rear which gives the same factory understeer characteristics (when on the edge) while reducing body roll and generally improving the handling...

Should be noted that while you will still get understeer on R32 ARB's but you would have to be pushing harder to do it..

<tuffty/>

I agree.

I put H&R's on mine. Made a hell of a difference to the body roll through simply making it more rigid and noticeable when throwing the car around country lanes.

The bars, when compared, are almost twice the thickness of the standard ones and a great handling mod.

guys i did a whole post on cost & fitting (All you need to know). Do a search.