Urgent - All warning lights on

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have a major problem and it's confusing the hell out of me......

Fitted my S4 front end today, so had the front bumper and wiring loom out.

Also started to wire in my washer fluid level sensor, so fitted it and ran cables through from wheel arch, used earth point at side of heater motor for earth, then removed blue plug from dash cluster to check pin size so I can buy right one from Audi tomorrow...

reconnected blue plug to cluster, rebuilt car back up, key in ignition and my dash cluster is not reading any fuel, have brake/coolant/oil warnings on DIS, along with flashing immobiliser and coil lights....

Car fires up and then dies, no aircon, RNS-E has dropped it's code....

What the hell has happened???? Surely unplugging 1 ****** connector for appx 5 minutes cannot cause the entire car to lose ALL of it's systems????

Any suggestions would be great....

You sure the plug on the back of the cluster is refitted right?

Looks like the immobiliser has been activated mate so you'll need to recode that before you do anything else.

Do you know the SKC code for the car? If so it's an easy procedure for anyone with vagcom to do, otherwise you need to get someone with vagtacho to read the SKC first or get the car recovered to Audi

Hi Carl,

Plug on cluster definitely back in correctly, don't have vagcom and the independent I use is closed tomorrow.....

Insert longest string of expletives available here.....

Gutted for you mate, got vagcom and vagtacho here but I'm not exactly close :(

You got aa or rac cover?

it shouldnt loose all its mem
unless you shorted it some how
i would say as above is the plug defo fitted right they can be fukkers sometimes
iv done it myself

I'm quite likely wrong, but iirc you're both North of the border? Although I appreciate its still a big country.

I can't offer you any words of advice unfortunately mate, other than I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Hi guys,

yep, me and Carl are both North of the Border, there is no way anything is shorted, I'm an electrician by trade, all I have done is remove one earth bolt from passenger side of car, and unplugged 1 wiring connector from dash. At no point were the keys anywhere near the ignition, although the battery was connected at all times.... everything reconnected and then all the problems started....

At that point I disconnected the battery, reconnected it and tried the spare set of keys, same problems....

I am going to unplug the connector again tomorrow morning and then reconnect it, what is really strange is that the fuel guage isn't registering either, what does the blue plug on the cluster control?

Carl, if you fancy a trip over here tomorrow there's at least a case of beer in it for you.....

im sure if the blue plug is out it kills the immob temp fuel spedo etc

im sure if the blue plug is out it kills the immob temp fuel spedo etc

That's my thinking too? I've not had the a4 cluster out but Ive changed quite a fee mk4 golf ones and I'd guess it was the same blue and green connectors? They can be a real pain in the **** to clip back in.

Sorry mate, if you weren't so far I'd try to get over, unfortunately I'm getting the exhaust fitted in the morning then have a few things to do with the kids in the afternoon :(

If it helps I recently removed my cluster to fix the DIS, was out of the car for 30 mins twice, battery left connected. Plugged it all back in, everything fine. What am trying to say is, disconnecting the cluster shouldnt normally cause probs and unless you are fitting a different cluster to the car it wont need any coding.

Personally I would try removing any extra wiring added just in case you accidentally grounded something etc. Just a thought.

Hope it works out for you.

Have removed my cluster previously and it does not lose settings.
Take out what you've done and see what happens - inspect the cluster side of the connector also - just in case something has fouled.

Right, update on this.......

Went out to the car again this morning after all the advice about plug not being in, checked plug and it wouldn't pull out, tab in place, popped tab up, plug out, checked all pins etc, then decided to remove the locking tab mechanism.....

Plugged back in and it went about 2mm further into the connection...

Car now working fine......

I'm intrigued as to why audi have fitted these weird locking tabs to the connectors, mine was locked in place correctly, but clearly it wasn't pushing the connector in enough....

Now a very happy bunny..

Thanks to everyone for their help with this...

That's great mate,

Wonder if anyone will say it... ;)

im saying nothing :whistle2:

I'm sure Steve won't mind what you say! He'll just be relieved the cars back to normal!

So, any pics of the S4 front yet?

Feel free to say what you want...... :keule:

Will get pics of the S4 front up as soon as I get some sort of web photo service sorted out....