First Mod..... Dyed My Roof Lining.

a5hl3y2k6

Reaction score
Hi all,

thought i would share, i know this has been done before but im quiet impressed with the results. i had the original beige lining and used black valeting dye and done about 3 or 4 coats on each and used a whole 5 litres in total. the first two pics are whilst drying and then i fitted the following morning.

im now looking for Black Sun Visors & Black Grab Handles - I already have the black interior light and speaker covers etc on the way! but if anyone can help let me know, here are some pics.

i didnt even notice untill i sat in a A3 Black Edition and wondered why i felt so cosy... just need the black bits and bobs now any ideas? a guy on ebay is selling black sun visors for £50 buy it now... but its too much imo!

Great job there, its something I always meant to do on previous cars but never got around to doing it. Dont need to on mine now. Try a few breakers for the bits you have missing, you may be lucky.

As mentioned, good job mate - looking really good, can't beat the black interior :)

Looks good how easy is it taking all the bits out?? Is the roof lining stuck in?

Looks good but I wouldn't fancy a dark headlining without a sunroof, especially with Black seats... tooooo dark...

Looks good how easy is it taking all the bits out?? Is the roof lining stuck in?

its mostly clips, the biggest part is held in by one clip at the back and the rest is held up by the pillars etc. i disconnected the battery too, i didnt fancy the deployment of my curtain airbags :)

its mostly clips, the biggest part is held in by one clip at the back and the rest is held up by the pillars etc. i disconnected the battery too, i didnt fancy the deployment of my curtain airbags :)

Thanks!! one thing i looked at which i couldn't work out was how do you get the clip off for the sun visor and the coat hook things on the pillars ?

coat hooks are screwed from behind, and the sun visor clip is in two peices, pop the top cover off i wedges a small flat screwdriver in the hole for the clip, and then pull the rest out.

thanks, hows the rear pillars pulled out? do you have to start removing lots of other non roof lining parts.

yeah kinda but i didnt have to take the rear door cards out just move the boot lining alittle.

very nice cheap mod there im also thinking of doing this as like many others i really hate the basic beige roof lining

so my grey isnt frowned upon the worse? Beige is the lowest? LOL

Good job changing it.

Never did find out how much Nate paid for the alcantara LOL

he he the mod is cheap but i dont thin finding the matching black parts is gonna be, has anyone got black grab handles and sun visors for sale:p

That is such a good idea dying the roof lining! I was travelling on the motorway with my boy in the front seat (going around 80mph on the M5) and he decided to throw up! OMG he opened the window and lo and behold the spew splattered throughout the car, covering every single window, roof lining, including half of me!! I freaked out at the time.... but rofl'ing now! - luckily it wasn't my car! (it's my mothers).. so she scrubbed like mad (can still see the odd puke patches on the roof lining.. heheh)

That is such a good idea dying the roof lining! I was travelling on the motorway with my boy in the front seat (going around 80mph on the M5) and he decided to throw up! OMG he opened the window and lo and behold the spew splattered throughout the car, covering every single window, roof lining, including half of me!! I freaked out at the time.... but rofl'ing now! - luckily it wasn't my car! (it's my mothers).. so she scrubbed like mad (can still see the odd puke patches on the roof lining.. heheh)
nice helen i bet that wasnt very plesant to be in the car after wards lol

It was absolutely gross Fran! I had to stop at the next services and buy tons of wet wipes! It was a pungent journey! lol

looks wicked, how has it dryed? is it crispy or is it still smooth and abit squishy?

nice job mate, the other "soul black" parts will finish it up nicely, if i was you id take the opportunity to put the map light unit in! As it can be bought in black like mine:

9ec47b44.jpg

looks wicked, how has it dryed? is it crispy or is it still smooth and abit squishy?

its a little crispy atm, so gonna go over it with a damp cloth in a few more days to soften it up a little, the dye fooking stinks as well atm gotta find some odour eliminator - :)

nice job mate, the other "soul black" parts will finish it up nicely, if i was you id take the opportunity to put the map light unit in! As it can be bought in black like mine

i have just ordered a normal one for now, but will keep an eye out on the bay. i think ill order the grab handles , coat hooks (on pillars) & visor clips from main dealer if anyone could help with part numbers?

visors are on ebay atm for £50 - ouch but ill keep looking, tweeter covers are on the way..

oh incase anyone was wondering, the 'AIRBAG' Logos at the top of the middle pillars cannot be removed easiely. so i sprayed them with matt black plasticote :)

Oh... and also need Seat Belt plastics.... anyone have a PN?

ive had a good look at the s3 black trims parts and from what i can see audi actually spray them anyway, so if you could find out what they use then would be ideal

a5hl3y2k6- if you manage to get hold of numbers and prices let us know please mate.

smoothie- have you bought that as i can see you have the visor lights, so was all your interior black ? thanks :D

warren bro, the car came factory standard with the black roof lining, i thinks thats part of the S-line trim level no? The only part i added was to change from this:

5bf75f06.jpg

To the map/ambient lights version:

9ec47b44.jpg

Yeah all tour interior would have been already black. Was the light pack just plug and plag as it has the red lighting as an extra? Was it expensive ?

Yeah all tour interior would have been already black. Was the light pack just plug and plag as it has the red lighting as an extra? Was it expensive ?

Ohh yea just plug/play and obiously swap over the Bluetooth mic! Think it cost around £75 from TPS and includes the map lights and ambient lighting (red LED's)

Ohh yea just plug/play and obiously swap over the Bluetooth mic! Think it cost around £75 from TPS and includes the map lights and ambient lighting (red LED's)

Sorry mate just seen this! god i look so stupid with my spelling these days. been working very long shifts and nights recently.

thanks for that too will have a good think about what to do now.