Should my turbo be oily ?

Breezey

Reaction score
Ok in an attmpt to find a leaky wash fluid pipe i took my airbox out and thought id have a gander at the turbo, now my rocker cover gasket was leaking and i had it repalced about 8k miles ago but should the turbo be covered in baked on oil? my guess is instantly no and im thinking it doesnt have long left to live but from what i can see its still on the origianl turbo after 110k miles as theres nothing in the servcie history.

IMG_0433.jpg

S3 8L AMK

You want to see the mess my rocker covers made of my engine/gearbox.

You want to see the mess my rocker covers made of my engine/gearbox.

I know the back of the engine is coated in it even if i wipe it off it comes back but its not dripping on my drive so i dont think theres a leak as i havent got the plastic undertray.

You sure the rocker gasket hasnt given up again or wasnt fitted right? There shouldnt be oil there.

Were you just loosing oil of were you getting smoke?
Currently trying to diagnose a problem with smoke from the tail pipe but only when the engine is hot - doesnt do it when cold or after sitting all night. suspecting the turbo...
tia
-jjm

No smoke and loosing oil from the rocker cover thats it, going to keep my eyes on the dipstick for the next few days.

Look at mine mate
1993f1f2.jpg
exactly the same and I've had a good look in mine today and it looks fine

Cheers mate, maybe i should take the tip off when ive got more time to investigate such a crammped engine bay for a 4 pot isnt it.

That oil is caused externaly, not from the turbo, usually the old turbo intake pipe splits and the turbo gets covered with oil from the engine breathing pipe that goes into the tip