A few questions from a new user, hope you all can help

Gavin G

Reaction score
Hi folks 1st time posting hope you can help and advise :yes:

A few questions/problems that i need help with my 2002 1.8t s A3

1 On a straight and smooth road i get a humming noise/vibration from the rear that gets louder and lower lower in volume, seems to happen at around 60mph, would this be a bearing?

2 I have to close both my doors gently for them to close properly if i try to close them with much force at all they don't seem to catch properly

3 When i bought the car i got caught up in the excitement of getting the car and forgot to ask if the timing belt was done, is there anyway of knowing this without replacing it "just incase"? There is no service history past 30k on the book but the dealer assured me it was serviced regulary, 1 lady owner from new.

4 My radio just picks up static, could this just be a loose connection to the aerial? The CD player works fine.

Apart from the above the car is running 100% and is spotless inside and out :yes: I'll get pics up asap:thumbsup:

1. i would say bearings

2. maybe you need to realign them

3. take off the cover over the belt, if its still looks like new then thats your answer, if its showing signs of age then replace

4. as you said just check the connections on where the arial are

Is it an aftermarket radio? Might not have had the necessary adaptor for the aerial (~£10).

I bought an A3 with very limited history, was told the timing belt had 'probably been done', so made sure by getting it changed, along with tensioner and water pump. The water pump was in absolute pieces, mechanic was amazed the car wasnt overheating.

Thanks for the advice i will just get the work on the timing belt etc done just incase, any ideas how much this would cost? Do you think it would be ok to drive for about another month until i get the money together (i would only do approx 100mile per week atm with 82k on the clock)? As for the radio it's just the factory fitted concert so il try and look to see if any of the connections are loose unless you have any other ideas why this would be? The doors i will try to re-align and il do the bearings aswell :yes: I fair bit of work to do here but hopefully when it's done i'll reap the rewards :D

Last edited:
from audi looking at around £400 to have the belt and everything changed iirc

or around £250 for a mechainc to do it

Surely you can open the bonnet and check the cam belt without to much issue .if its old it will appear thready .best to replace in any case ..IMO

Hi folks 1st time posting hope you can help and advise :yes:

A few questions/problems that i need help with my 2002 1.8t s A3

1 On a straight and smooth road i get a humming noise/vibration from the rear that gets louder and lower lower in volume, seems to happen at around 60mph, would this be a bearing?

2 I have to close both my doors gently for them to close properly if i try to close them with much force at all they don't seem to catch properly

3 When i bought the car i got caught up in the excitement of getting the car and forgot to ask if the timing belt was done, is there anyway of knowing this without replacing it "just incase"? There is no service history past 30k on the book but the dealer assured me it was serviced regulary, 1 lady owner from new.

4 My radio just picks up static, could this just be a loose connection to the aerial? The CD player works fine.

Apart from the above the car is running 100% and is spotless inside and out :yes: I'll get pics up asap:thumbsup:

1. Like jay1601 says
2. Used to have a golf if the doors were closed fast it created pressure in the car and the doors wouldn't shut properly
3. Like jay1601 says
4. Radio just picks up static could be aerial booster amp i had a problem with mine managed to repair it look here

Thanks for the advice i will just get the work on the timing belt etc done just incase, any ideas how much this would cost? Do you think it would be ok to drive for about another month until i get the money together (i would only do approx 100mile per week atm with 82k on the clock)?
I paid £250 for cambelt, tensioner and water pump, I don't think you could get it cheaper tbh.

Can't really tell, have a look at the cambelt and if theres no obvious wear then it should be fine for a while, but unless you know when it was done theres no way of being certain. I waited two months after buying the car as I couldn't afford it, just didnt drive it hard or for very long journeys.

I paid £250 for cambelt, tensioner and water pump, I don't think you could get it cheaper tbh.

Can't really tell, have a look at the cambelt and if theres no obvious wear then it should be fine for a while, but unless you know when it was done theres no way of being certain. I waited two months after buying the car as I couldn't afford it, just didnt drive it hard or for very long journeys.

Do the belt. It is NEVER worth the risk.

Know in your mind that it's done.