Parking Sensor Retrofit

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.reallymeansounds.com
depending on how much you get the bumper for, you would defiantly get £50 for the lower valance, always sought after as they fit the s-line bumper!

ps you would also have your S3 air vents to sell lol i want them they match my rns-e button

apparently the bumper is marked on the inside with an + at the parking sensor positions. Nigel didn't use a parking sensor bumper he drilled a regular one (using the aforementioned +s) and used mounting points for an A6 with some epoxy. it's in his thread, which i currently don't have time to find.

don't waste your time buying another bumper.

mate if you do go ahead i retrofitted the parking sensors, with advise on that tread from NHN, if needed let me know i will give you all the parts numbers and wiring,

oh now me looking to fit the reversing camera, the one the replaces the number plate light, best thing is its going to cost £70 mark,

Last edited:
p/n would be useful to me ta very much!!

That bumper will need repainting for sure with that damage, as spot repair imho would be noticeable, I reckon its cracked surround areas aswell, so the current colour is totally irrelevant.

Dont be a tart Boycie, drill your existing, paint sensors, glue in place then sikaflex after testing sensor system is functioing properly, job done.

Which system you want to fit, oem or aftermarket?

Considering OEM more than aftermarket - want to tick off as many retrofits as possible!

Kufatec are selling their unit though but its a tad expensive!

Ive had it done on 2 previous audis by the main dealer, if you can negoiate it costs between £250 to £450 which includes everything and painting.

That will not be for the optical system me thinks. You can get those analogue ones for about £50...

There are 3 systems from audi, 2 are factory & 1 is after market, there is audio based thats integrated into the canbus with possible dis settings for tones/volumes which also integrates with towbar fixings this is the norm factory fit version, then there's the more advanced optical version factory fit that shows in your nav display that is nowhere near £250-£450 & then there's the cheap ebay £20 reverse wire system that audi installs aftermarket for a horrendous price.

Of course both factory systems can be retrofitted as I've done them myself.

nigel what was the consensus on fitting front sensors to older cars?

In what context, cost, complications etc?

Both really. Would you need a new central electrics unit from the 8P3s?

Don't see the point in retrofitting geniune AUDI kits if they're £250-£450 when kits off ebay can be had for £15 or so!! And they seem to work fine, installation is also very easy and the sensors look OEM. Sure you don't get to geek about in VAGCOM other than a different bonging sound and nobody really needs a reverse CAMERA in an A3! :D

Don't see the point in retrofitting geniune AUDI kits if they're £250-£450 when kits off ebay can be had for £15 or so!! And they seem to work fine, installation is also very easy and the sensors look OEM. Sure you don't get to geek about in VAGCOM other than a different bonging sound and nobody really needs a reverse CAMERA in an A3! :D

i don't think that necessarily a fair assessment. the Audi OEM kits are cleaner looking, and you can only have optical parking on your RNS-E if you have a factory kit fitted. i can understand the appeal, and for £250ish i'd be able to understand the price. at £450ish tho i'd be inclined to agree with you

TBH aftermarket kits have mostly looked pants compared to oem, albeit hell of allot cheaper, but integration is better for oem, not everyone likes the same tones, volume etc, so dis features are good for these people.

Costwise would be personal preference what you call expensive for what system you get, for me the optical parking system is good, as long as you spec'd the rns already for other use, not just pdc, but as I said people's perception of expensive for a function is different.

Cant say if anyone would need new modules, as its down to the individual case, certainly has to be supported by various modules, so its a possibility some have to be added/upgraded/coded.

Who on earth need sensors on a A3 !! I mean its only 3ft long and the back window is the back of the car .:)

Who on earth need sensors on a A3 !! I mean its only 3ft long and the back window is the back of the car .:)

anyone can make a mistake. i'd rather pay a few hundred quid for sensors on a car than a few hundred quid for a new bumper. and if your missus drives the car then you really should have them :undwech:

Last edited:
I have reverse camera AND reverse sensors just for the Mrs so she has NO excuse! :laugh:

In that case.....stop at a bus stop and grab a poor person, keep them in the boot for just such an occasion. I get mine to stand between the car and the obstacle and when he yelps....i stop. simples :)

you can have my parking sensors if you want, they are a pain in the ***!

Hi

I've got parking sensors fitted from new to my S3, no sat nav (can't take it with me to find the way in cities from car parks that I can with a Tomtom), not noticed any way to change the sound, so they do not do anything more than cheap ones unless you have sat nav fitted?

Regards Gray

2008 S3 Red

TBH, it makes you lazy. You just keep reversing without really looking until the tone goes solid LOL.

I'm sure you dont will need the 8P3 CE module for front & back sensors, maybe if you want the full park assist that parks for you though? (coupled with White facelift cluster)

you can have my parking sensors if you want, they are a pain in the ***!

That might depend on the module revision etc fitted John, I have an original PDC module (pre any suffix) and despite a 2010 gateway module & latest white LED cluster & newer convenience module, I dont have any access to my parking sensors via the DIS.

When i bought my A3 the dealership said they don't fit sensors but farm it out to a local shop. the whole set up was 375 supplied and fitted but that was a couple of years ago..

TBH, it makes you lazy. You just keep reversing without really looking until the tone goes solid LOL.

Thats what i was getting at. Not so bad when i jump into my MK2 Golf as the vision is excellent but anything else you forget you dont have them! Few close ones with the folks car!