Fitted my New DIS Display LCD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3wil

Reaction score
Well after failing to fix my LCD with the extra pressure trick I finally got round to fitting my new LCD.

One of those annoying things that bugged me especially when you hear a warning beep and cannot read what the warning is!

The replacement seems slightly brighter but nice and clear. Never saw my original working but posted before and after to compare.

Before........

waterbefore.jpg

After.......

waterfixed.jpg

And yes I really was that low on fuel!

Yeah when I had the car there were 2 lines missing, within 18months it got to this stage. Seemed to get very bad after the cold weather this winter!

Where did you buy the DIS from pal?

Where did you get the DIS from mate? Also how hard is it to fit?

Yeah another job to do on mine... def want it doing...

Looks great, is it a DIY repair kit or did you have to send it of to someone to repair it? Details of either would be good for a lot on the forum I am sure.

The LCD was purchased from a suppier in Germany. To be honest its not a simple repair but all depends on your soldering skills. If you are experienced at soldering I think it wouldn't be to bad but you have to be very carefull not to damage or lift the PCB tracks otherwise you may end up damaging it permanently. I just thought £200+ was a bit steep to get someone else to do it but I suppose it is fiddly work!

More details on a previous post to get a hint of its method:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/62392-dead-pixels-centre-display.html#post635316

The LCD also doesn't have wires but a very thin (paper thin) carbon traces. These are easily pulled off damaging the NEW LCD so take your time. Preheating the PCB I would certainly recommend.

I was considering offering it as a service on fleabay if people thought it was beyond their limits. I am an electronic engineer by trade and use, Soldering equipment and rework machines daily so luckily have the right kit. I would be happy to advise if someone wanted to try.

Thanks for the response I was interested in peoples thoughts and so many old threads regarding the magic pressure fix that few people had luck with, If I did do it on ebay obviously a nice discount for Forum members!

Last edited:
Will.....get a price together for replacements and you could be doing us a wonderful service there mate..... seriously think you'd have well over ten wanting it straight away!!

Looking around I think I cannot really go any lower than £150 plus P&P for new LCD fitted. 10% off for forum members = £135 how does that sound?

Would be interesting to know how many people keen as I can pre order LCD's. The fastest turnaround could be for example: Someone posts it to Me on Monday, I receive Tues Morning and back out to you the same day or at very latest the following day meaning delivered back Wed/Thurs.

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.