Coil Pack Melted Today, HELP!!!

Mike071288

Reaction score
Just done and service on my A3 and had to take off the coil packs to get the spark plugs out, when we took off this one it came out and look a bit odd but didn't think anything of it and just replaced it afterwards. took the car for a test drive and it cuts out 2 mins down the road. check the coil packs and find this:

DSCN4824.jpg

Anyways got the car towed to my garage, and giving tps a call in the morning to order a new one, anyone had an issue like this?

Hopefully its just a case of plug new one in and off we go :ermm:

Yeah, I changed the plugs in my S3 and later that day/or next day CP1 went.

Had to drive home but got it replaced. Unfortunately, CP2 went shortly after. Ended up replacing all 4!

Just replaced cp2 and still no start, so hooked it up to a diagnostics and found that the other 3 cp are gone and the crankshaft sensor aparently its a common this for the crankshaft sensor to go if a cp goes, but maybe its just the fsi system.

My sensor was ok, but if you clear the faults you might find that because of the CP's going, this had a knock on effect.

I would change all your CP's. Once one goes, it is off loaded to the other ones which is too much for them so they deteriorate quickly!

This happened to me while in doctors,came out and smelt smoke,thought nothing if it until reversed car and the smoke whisped out from under bonnet,mine did coil pack and the wiring for it which the lads at statller sorted in one day,they has been loads of reports on other forums of cars in america setting a light big style,they have changed the coil packs now so any bought after 2007 i think should have a better heatsink design and look slightly different