What is this pipe......(is it on ETKA?)

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
......and why is it split?! Noticed it while changing my air and pollen filters.

Also, is it easy to replace? It seems to run down to another collection of pipes, and then on to a plastic box of some type.

2012-04-02170644.jpg
2012-04-02170656.jpg

Last edited:
im blind today
arrow the split pipe

That's the turbo actuator vacum pipe.

Replace it with a silcone one.

That's the turbo actuator vacum pipe.

Replace it with a silcone one.

Cheers :icon_thumright:

Was does the actuator do, and where does the pipe lead?

Also what diameter pipe do I need?

Finally, what would the symptoms of a split pipe be?

Apologies for all the questions!!

You will have a vac leak. If the actuator isn't working the veins in the turbo will not be adjusting. It could result in loss of performance or cause the turbo to overboost.
Im not sure where the pipe is routed as I'm unfamiliar with the diesel layout. It should be attached the the diesels version of a n75 valve. Nor am i sure what diameter pipe you need. It's more than likely 3-4 mm.

Thanks for your input gents.

Yes it comes off the top then heads down to a small black plastic box behind the drivers side headlight.

OK cheer guys, I will get on to this tomorrow.

Did you go for silicone too Turkster?

Can you get a 'kit' pre-cut for the 130 TDI?

Just wondering also, can I buy this pipe pre-made from Audi or TPS? That would at least ensure I had the correct internal diameter etc.

If anyone has ETKA I would appreciate them taking a look to see if it has a part code.

Many thanks

Just wondering also, can I buy this pipe pre-made from Audi or TPS? That would at least ensure I had the correct internal diameter etc.

If anyone has ETKA I would appreciate them taking a look to see if it has a part code.

Many thanks

Does anyone know this or what diameter the pipe should be internally?

It's probably 4mm. Why don't you disconnect it, cut an inch off the end of it and bring it to your motor factors and asked them for silicone pipe that is that diameter. It's sold by the meter, I always carry a few meters of various diameters as with age all the vacuum hose leak. If they don't have it in stock you can always reconnect the pipe if you've only cut an inch off it, and they should have it for you for the next day.

Thanks for the extra info Twincam.

Soooo, that went well. Got the pipe etc from TPS and went to fit it. Turns out that it runs from the top the actuator, straight down to who knows where lol (you can't actually see where it leads). I removed the pipe at the actuator end and lo and behold it was only the outer casing that was split, so I just trimmed a couple of centimetres off and re-fitted.

Is it really worth disturbing everything to replace all the vacuum pipes as a matter of course?

I think so, it's not that hard and prevents the boost leaks later on. And the time it would take to replace all the pipes now you will probably spend trying to find your next vacuum leak at some stage later this year.:happy: