What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week

Why did you fit a gauge by your knee?
Hello, yeah that was the best location, I did not fancy hacking my gloss air vent for a cheap gauge. The glove box was second best or the useless cup holder was third. Sorry I failed to mention it's monitoring tank pressure for air ride. I guess I don't really need to monitor it 100% of the time, but would have been nice, losing pressure while on the motorway scares me endless.

Nipped out just to check after i did my coding that all interior ligthing was working and the puddle lights alas no drivers puddle light not working sure its the dodgey wiring i did , replace when new button for anti theft comes .

Attachments

• 20180907_213539-1440x1920.jpg
    20180907_213539-1440x1920.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 20180907_213809-1440x1920.jpg
    20180907_213809-1440x1920.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: lea323ci
Got the front bumper off to fit the rs grille and now it's absolutely ******* down rain. Still gave me an excuse whilst the car is in bits to pop off the front splitter cover so I can spray it matt black

bvvhR.jpg

Hoping the rain will stop soon so I can put my car back together!

bvIcg.jpg

Reactions: s3_trev, mechanic69, lea323ci and 1 other person
Got the front bumper off to fit the rs grille and now it's absolutely ******* down rain. Still gave me an excuse whilst the car is in bits to pop off the front splitter cover so I can spray it matt black

bvvhR.jpg

Hoping the rain will stop soon so I can put my car back together!

bvIcg.jpg
Get out there and stop being a :tigerface:its only water:thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan
Hahaha I have been back out swapped the mirror covers for the matt chrome S3 style but can't put the bumper on now til I finished the splitter... And I ran out of spray paint

Fitted the el cheapo 8v style rear wipers. It’s a good mod for the price but earlier today I saw a Q5 and the rear wiper arm and blade looked even better, so I think I’ll get that.

9d8edf227f531dc06a5071f988bda7c2.jpg

Reactions: lea323ci and samisnake
Fitted raised gel number plates today
97a53675e78b9fa3ef5ebd3eda628683.jpg
4b95f032ec5d19449d3fc9681e1065a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: downtothebone and mechanic69
Just drive to Halfords lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha! Actually went to The Range..

Got back with paint and the ****** thing had fallen over and ruined the paint I'd put on had to strip it back to silver and start again. Just got the first coat on. Hopefully be able to get it done today

Reactions: mechanic69
Realized it's only 2 screws that hold the splitter cover on so refitted the bumper leaving the paint to go off overnight and will clip the splitter back on tomorrow.

Not all good news though the Audi rings from the only grill are a different size to what I'll need for the new one so won't be finished until my new ones arrive from eBay

Removed TTRS cover when i was in the engine as i am going to get it painted or Hydro dipped but not sure yet what , will update at a later date.
Then it was time to put the Leather Bra on as it wont be look before winter is upon us and her Nips would have got cold :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
20180909 184026 1440x1920
20180909 193414 1440x1920

Been a busy weekend for me and my helpers.
Front bumper removed and masked up for bottom splitter to be sprayed satin black (entire bumper is one piece).
Grey grill removed and hacked up.
New RS6 C6 grill hacked up and made to fit front bumper.
Silver crash bar painted smooth black hammerite.
Front 8mm spacers installed.
Rear 10mm spacers installed.
Front and rear indicator bulbs replaced with Chrome bulbs.
Rear bumper removed and masked up. Diffuser painted satin black.
Fresh oil and filter.
Alloys cleaned while off the car and ceramic treated.
Lots of prep work and spraying on grill pieces and bumpers.

Tasks that were on the list but not done:
New engine cover to be fitted. Hermes lost the parcel so it didn't arrive in time, but has since been found and will arrive 4 days late.
New Xenon bulbs. Mistakenly ordered D2S bulbs, so ordered a new set of D1S on Prime, but the delivery driver broke them so they have been sent back. They would have arrived at the perfect time as the bumper was about to be fitted and lights were out waiting.
Rear lights did get a tinting film applied, but they bubbled up too much so it got removed. Going to seek a pro to do them properly in a week or two.
New rear discs and pads. Demon Tweeks couldn't guarantee delivery on time (despite website saying 2-3 days dispatch) so order was cancelled and refund took 4 days, holding up funds needed to source a replacement set. Will be done in a few weeks as not urgent.

Reactions: maxpayne and D7YAB
Been a busy weekend for me and my helpers.
Front bumper removed and masked up for bottom splitter to be sprayed satin black (entire bumper is one piece).
Grey grill removed and hacked up.
New RS6 C6 grill hacked up and made to fit front bumper.
Silver crash bar painted smooth black hammerite.
Front 8mm spacers installed.
Rear 10mm spacers installed.
Front and rear indicator bulbs replaced with Chrome bulbs.
Rear bumper removed and masked up. Diffuser painted satin black.
Fresh oil and filter.
Alloys cleaned while off the car and ceramic treated.
Lots of prep work and spraying on grill pieces and bumpers.

Tasks that were on the list but not done:
New engine cover to be fitted. Hermes lost the parcel so it didn't arrive in time, but has since been found and will arrive 4 days late.
New Xenon bulbs. Mistakenly ordered D2S bulbs, so ordered a new set of D1S on Prime, but the delivery driver broke them so they have been sent back. They would have arrived at the perfect time as the bumper was about to be fitted and lights were out waiting.
Rear lights did get a tinting film applied, but they bubbled up too much so it got removed. Going to seek a pro to do them properly in a week or two.
New rear discs and pads. Demon Tweeks couldn't guarantee delivery on time (despite website saying 2-3 days dispatch) so order was cancelled and refund took 4 days, holding up funds needed to source a replacement set. Will be done in a few weeks as not urgent.
I would love to see your grill. How hard was it to make and how did you glue it in place?

I would love to see your grill. How hard was it to make and how did you glue it in place?

Lets just say it was a job I wouldn't take on again and it took two full days as we did other jobs between layers of paint drying. We massively under estimated it.
I also gave it a detail a few days ago and used a friends ceramic coating. The beading looks great after it rains.

Attachments

• rsz_20180909_192201-01.jpg
    rsz_20180909_192201-01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
  • rsz_20180909_185523-01.jpg
    rsz_20180909_185523-01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 256
  • rsz_20180906_072217.jpg
    rsz_20180906_072217.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
  • rsz_20180907_063746.jpg
    rsz_20180907_063746.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 245
Reactions: lea323ci
Lets just say it was a job I wouldn't take on again and it took two full days as we did other jobs between layers of paint drying. We massively under estimated it.
I also gave it a detail a few days ago and used a friends ceramic coating. The beading looks great after it rains.

Great looking car Dave

Reactions: Daveyonthemove

Instead of tinting the rear lights,why don’t you get some facelift lights from Euro car parts. The ones they sell are oem lights but cheaper than going to Audi or TPS. If you get them for a 2011 model they will be clear and factory tinted and really freshen up the rear imo. If you get them for a 2009 model they will be clear but not tinted. Also they are a straight swap and if I remember correctly you just have to buy one new bulb for each side.

Reactions: s3_trev
Instead of tinting the rear lights,why don’t you get some facelift lights from Euro car parts. The ones they sell are oem lights but cheaper than going to Audi or TPS. If you get them for a 2011 model they will be clear and factory tinted and really freshen up the rear imo. If you get them for a 2009 model they will be clear but not tinted. Also they are a straight swap and if I remember correctly you just have to buy one new bulb for each side.
It's a backup plan if needed, but I don't need new lights so using a tinting film to freshen them up is a much cheaper method, even if it takes 5 attempts.
I have been offered lights from a user on here too, so other options are available. I'm fairly confident I can have them done by someone professional for less than buying one light cluster, and that makes more sense to me as I come to the end of my list of mods.

Wow that grill looks factory. i can imagine its a tedious job to cut it per size and glue the sides to the frame. Regardless it looks good.

Haha the car almost looks matt with that water on it. I guess its that coating while wet but it should hopefully help your car stay cleaner for longer.

The paint isn't matt, it's just covered in tiny micro beads from morning dew.
It does help to keep it cleaner, I had a spot of bird muck on the bonnet which came off on it's own while driving with standing water on the bonnet, the rain simply washed it off as I drove. Never known that before.
When it's dry it looks clean and shiny, like in the pics of the grill above (and the car is dirty in that pic).

Reactions: D7YAB
They have a British standard kite mark on the plates

It's the Audi badge and text on the left that is technically illegal. Know plenty of people who run plates like that and never had a problem with MOT but not tried it myself.

There is a very specific list of what you are legally allowed to display in that far left section of the plate (if it's not left blank) and it is a very short list:

bSej0.png

Last edited:
The paint isn't matt, it's just covered in tiny micro beads from morning dew.
It does help to keep it cleaner, I had a spot of bird muck on the bonnet which came off on it's own while driving with standing water on the bonnet, the rain simply washed it off as I drove. Never known that before.
When it's dry it looks clean and shiny, like in the pics of the grill above (and the car is dirty in that pic).
What ever you do if you av applied a ceramic coating do not use a polish as the abravise qualities in it will remove your coating , now i only know this as mine was detailed + ceramic coated last November and after chatting to detailer ( Carbon Shine Aberdeen Facebook ) he recommended a product ( 4got its name but will get from him and PM you )

Attachments

• 1525963046949.jpg
    1525963046949.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 233
What ever you do if you av applied a ceramic coating do not use a polish as the abravise qualities in it will remove your coating , now i only know this as mine was detailed + ceramic coated last November and after chatting to detailer ( Carbon Shine Aberdeen Facebook ) he recommended a product ( 4got its name but will get from him and PM you )
Don't worry, Polish is one of the first steps of detailing, and ceramic is the last, so there is no risk of me polishing over the top layer.

Don't worry, Polish is one of the first steps of detailing, and ceramic is the last, so there is no risk of me polishing over the top layer.
Glad you already knew that but believe me many a man has polished over the coating as in time it will dull and people love there Shine :thumbs up:

Very few 3D plates are legal.
They have to have the postcode of plate manufacturer on them, among other details.
https://assets.publishing.service.g.../uploads/attachment_data/file/207546/V796.pdf

If you look in the bottom right corner I think his do have all that information.

If It were me running those plates I'd just get a set of these stickers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262459021628

Then worst case you do get pulled say "oops they must have fallen off" and stick them on roadside and your instantly legal

Just had a spare key cut and coded by @craigynett really helpful guy gave even gave me a load of advice before he came to do it! When I first got in touch with him was gonna get one of the aftermarket replacements but after speaking to him got a used Audi one for less than the cost of a cheap copy and now all cut and coded with a new transponder chip, he even coded me a spare transponder chip for no extra dosh so if I ever lose a key I can make my own replacement. His company details are here, I definitely recommend him: http://www.autosolutions-autolocksmiths.co.uk/contact-us.php

Also just realised I never posted a photo of my handywork from the weekend

RS style grille fitted (with short pressed-aluminium number plate)
Front splitter resprayed matt black to match the rest of the matt black pieces on the front bumper
S3 wing mirror covers fitted

vjxVg.png

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and D7YAB
had small fire trying to repair the v157 flap. luckily burnt out quickly.

Another mod did this week, so cheap I almost forgot about it! Under a quid but I think it looks cool....

Body coloured dust caps

vHyCL.jpg

Actually do want some wheel nut caps (although maybe not red) but not bothering until I can get these wheels refurbed or find some others

Well engine cover now finished , just got to fit it now , hope it blends in .
20180915 152500 1440x1920
20180915 152838 1440x1920

Reactions: mechanic69