What Car Care / Detailing Have You Done Today ?

8CC49EDD 186A 4452 B988 F7E4906B2D2E

Reactions: Bristle Hound, bigup, Jassyo06 and 3 others
Just seen this this...
Short video of the Gyeon Pure coating in action, water sheeting off.

Now that is a first class example of how water should behave on your paint :thumbs up:

Beading is all good and fun (and great for phone screensaver shots, lol), but beads sit on the car, dry out slowly and the mineral deposits left behind leave water spots. Sheeting like this is what you really need to aspire to. I doff my hat sir - that is text book, and proof that I need to up my game :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: OCDaveS4, Scotty75, NevMan and 2 others
Just seen this this...

Now that is a first class example of how water should behave on your paint :thumbs up:

Beading is all good and fun (and great for phone screensaver shots, lol), but beads sit on the car, dry out slowly and the mineral deposits left behind leave water spots. Sheeting like this is what you really need to aspire to. I doff my hat sir - that is text book, and proof that I need to up my game :hi:
Exactly why l ain't a beading freak mate and the MAIN reasons why BSD will touch any paintwork l put my hands on there's a few other reasons but that's main one, repellency is where its at

Reactions: Scotty75, Jimbob76 and V6_Man
Exactly why l ain't a beading freak mate and the MAIN reasons why BSD will touch any paintwork l put my hands on there's a few other reasons but that's main one, repellency is where its at

@jassyo06 let me admit it mate, I have only recently started to understand that a good coating means, "sheeting & replency" and not 'beading'. It has been doing me head in as I have emptied two bottles of Hydro2 on my S4 in the last 4 washes and topped it up with Cure every time and I just was not getting any beading, at all. Well, not 'tight' beading of any sorts. Replency on the otherhand is top-class. The water just doesn't like to stay on the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty75, Jimbob76 and Jassyo06
Oh, and the paint feels as slick as a ... well, I will definitely get a ban if I mention that word here

Reactions: Scotty75 and Jassyo06
Oh, and the paint feels as slick as a ... well, I will definitely get a ban if I mention that word here
EX03 EX04 are great for repellency and git te yer bed.... Unless yer waiting on a plane aswell lol

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
Just seen this this...

I, like you thought that beading was all good, and does make for great phone wallpapers lol, but the more spread out the beading the better I think, but as you say, sheeting off is much better. It just goes to show the difference a fresh surface, clear of contaminants (in my case clayed) then polished and then either proper wax or ceramic (in my case again) is where it is at. Then maintaining it. With the Gyeon Pure, they do recommend Cure, but all the others we have would we fine like D&D. Having seen the difference, I am doing to keep doing this and highly recommend it, and to be honest as has been said by @jassyo06 and others it is so so easy, anyone can do it

Reactions: Scotty75
Another 8 hours in the sun well worth it though. Tackled the rusty wheel hubs and the dull brake calipers.

Been bleeding funds lately so didn't bother with able stands or trolley Jack. Went with the good old scissor Jack. In hindsight would have been quicker and probably easier with a trolley Jack etc.

Used Hammerite Silver Smooth on the hubs and Etech Red for the calipers. The Hammerite is lovely to work with, goes on really well and dries quickly . Especially in the sun. Most impressed and barely used any , even with doing three coats.

The Etech is good enough but quite runny and a bit of a pain to apply if I'm honest. Trouble is getting enough on without it running everywhere. The supplied brush was poop. Luckily I'd bought two half inch brushes from Wickes which were perfect.

Three coats of Etech applied and I'm happy with the results. Though , if I were to do it again I'd probably use Hammerite in the calipers too as it really is good .

Unfortunately er indoors isn't so stuck on the new look......... You'll have to excuse the dirty A3 . It was either wash the car or do the painting .......,
5f4e8e304f017a8d73980500f070269f.jpg
068d98d739012d87f92c0dc5957cb03f.jpg
2f70f3231d850b1ffdc48c6ffb4ed2bd.jpg
e5ccaa2f52f97c0b8957ae6129d24228.jpg
331cb6fe52c2418968376d571095f3c4.jpg
1bdf5786c38df4ca32837f17f5f04ebb.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

This looks great mate. So if you only had the scissor, does that mean you just did one at a time, allow drying time, then move on? Looks fab imo!

This looks great mate. So if you only had the scissor, does that mean you just did one at a time, allow drying time, then move on? Looks fab imo!
Morning Dave. Yes that was how I did it. I was lucky enough to have a very warm sunny day which helped a lot with drying time between coats. About 2 hours work on each corner . Also washed each wheel during that time.

I found the Hammerite dried very quickly indeed, the Etech was s bit slower so I did a coat on the calipers first , then hubs . Three coats in total for hubs and calipers. Really not a difficult job , just a case of using a steady methodical hand.

I'm really pleased with the results, it adds a subtle amount of colour and just looks tidier. Incidentally er indoors finally came around last night and piped up to say she thought they looked really good ......... Strange creatures then women

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and NevMan
Morning Dave. Yes that was how I did it. I was lucky enough to have a very warm sunny day which helped a lot with drying time between coats. About 2 hours work on each corner . Also washed each wheel during that time.

I found the Hammerite dried very quickly indeed, the Etech was s bit slower so I did a coat on the calipers first , then hubs . Three coats in total for hubs and calipers. Really not a difficult job , just a case of using a steady methodical hand.

I'm really pleased with the results, it adds a subtle amount of colour and just looks tidier. Incidentally er indoors finally came around last night and piped up to say she thought they looked really good ......... Strange creatures then women

@Scotty75 did you use steel wool
Or scotchbrite on calipers, it just wire brush?

I did have to chuckle at your last comment, too true

@Scotty75 did you use steel wool
Or scotchbrite on calipers, it just wire brush?

I did have to chuckle at your last comment, too true
Morning Nev. I used the wire brush only . Wish I'd thought of using some wire wool as there were some really stubborn spots on the hubs, would have been much easier .

As for er indoors ........ Must have been the moon cycle or something Now she's asking me to de-badge the A3 and TDI logos ....... I ask you

Reactions: NevMan and OCDaveS4
Morning Nev. I used the wire brush only . Wish I'd thought of using some wire wool as there were some really stubborn spots on the hubs, would have been much easier .

As for er indoors ........ Must have been the moon cycle or something Now she's asking me to de-badge the A3 and TDI logos ....... I ask you

nice one, thanks mate.....go figure...next she will want some wrapping done, and carbon mirrors and inlays :whistle2:

Reactions: Scotty75 and OCDaveS4
nice one, thanks mate.....go figure...next she will want some wrapping done, and carbon mirrors and inlays :whistle2:
no chance of that Nev. Had my @rse slapped ...... Apparently I'm intent on making the car look like something it's not. Simples...... Let's buy an S3 then

Reactions: V6_Man, NevMan and OCDaveS4
no chance of that Nev. Had my @rse slapped ...... Apparently I'm intent on making the car look like something it's not. Simples...... Let's buy an S3 then

I like your style!!

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan
Well TBH, of all people I’d expect you to be dreaming of pipes lol !!

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan

Haha, your missus and mine sound like twins . I test drove a X3 M40i earlier in the week, what a car! Can’t convince her on it though Ah well, back to the 2.0 Q5 for now

Well TBH, of all people I’d expect you to be dreaming of pipes lol !!
Don't get me started on about pipes Dave, I'll clear the forum . Us main layers do yarn on about pipes

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and NevMan
Not specific detailing but went to a local detailer (with great reviews) to get a quote for a paint correction and ceramic coating. I know I could do it myself but don't really have the time or conditions for it.
While there I noticed this beauty (R8 Decennium).
8b63dcb1b205b9145edf5d43cc0f8cb1.jpg
f80e13c2e3bec6d6429dc6363b758890.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bulldog, Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Not specific detailing but went to a local detailer (with great reviews) to get a quote for a paint correction and ceramic coating. I know I could do it myself but don't really have the time or conditions for it.

That's a gorgeous looking R8

@q5man is rather quiet today ...... Working on the calipers I bet

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06

Guff Matte paint colour l could think of far better paint colours to have that car in, but anyway how much was the quote you were given

but anyway how much was the quote you were given
Was quoted £450 for a 2 stage paint correction, then a further £300 for ceramic coating on paint and alloys, believe it was GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Said he'd also do my winter alloys for £100 as well. Didn't think the quote was too bad honestly.

Reactions: NevMan
Was quoted £450 for a 2 stage paint correction, then a further £300 for ceramic coating on paint and alloys, believe it was GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Said he'd also do my winter alloys for £100 as well. Didn't think the quote was too bad honestly.
Sod that I'd rather do it myself . That's pretty expensive mate . By a DA and all the products and still have change to spend. Plus the kudos of doing it yourself

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06 and Adam14
Where are you based ? Maybe you should talk to @FranA3 if you really don't want to do it yourself .

Reactions: Adam14
Sod that I'd rather do it myself . That's pretty expensive mate .
Aye appreciate that mate, but honestly with the expense of the various equipment and products, although its cheaper, with the upcoming weather I don't have the space or garage to apply the coating and that properly. So would rather pay an expert to tackle it and know it is done properly.

I'm based near Cambridge.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Aye appreciate that mate, but honestly with the expense of the various equipment and products, although its cheaper, with the upcoming weather I don't have the space or garage to apply the coating and that properly. So would rather pay an expert to tackle it and know it is done properly.

@FranA3 is in Basingstoke but he is mobile.

Reactions: NevMan, Adam14, V6_Man and 1 other person
Just got back from a week in the Lakes having collected most of the flies there lol
Couldn't have ordered better weather while we were away
So I thought I'd have a crack with the SF'er as it hasn't been used in a while

xPMqnZ5l.jpg

Forgot how good the CarChem SF is
Cleaned the car without stripping the BSD mix I have on it

Reactions: V6_Man, Jimbob76, OCDaveS4 and 2 others
2nd that.

TX.
62197e4975f23bab6b24873e62ca5e43.jpg
d140c37f62bf5fa63a638471f55eb4de.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Cheers, will drop him an email but he's about 120 miles from me and can imagine could be a tad far to be coming and going for a ceramic coating and paint correction

That's a gorgeous looking R8

@q5man is rather quiet today ...... Working on the calipers I bet

No scotty, not touched either car. Been entertaining friends BBQ style.

Not sure about calipers at all this weekend, maybe next week.

Audi rings arrived today so will compare those to S or S Line or none when they are done.

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and Scotty75

I’ll do it for half that Jokes.

Reactions: Adam14

A ceramic coating should be applied in doors to be honest, also the Gyeon range of coatings are rated very highly indeed

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Cheers, will drop him an email but he's about 120 miles from me and can imagine could be a tad far to be coming and going for a ceramic coating and paint correction

You'd be surprised I reckon mate

@Adam14 -
shocked.gif
that seems expensive to me mate
You may be worth having a check over on DW for recommended Detailers

Hope the week in the lakes was good Col........ Surprised to see you snowfoamung

Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan and Bristle Hound
A ceramic coating should be applied in doors to be honest, also the Gyeon range of coatings are rated very highly indeed
That's why I am looking for someone to do it. Don't have access to a garage, not even a friend has one big enough to be able to do it, so would want it done properly.

Hope the week in the lakes was good Col........ Surprised to see you snowfoamung

@Scotty75 - Was a fab week mate, thanks
I thought I may as well use it as I haven't SF'ed in a while

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Scotty75