Wanted - How To - Shock Absorbers

Stacey896

Reaction score
Hi all,
Tried searching the forum with no luck. Is there a guide on changing shocks on the S3's? :sos:

Any help is appreciated

Reactions: SHUk
I've done fronts on mine and it's really simple to change them.
Just make sure you don't kill your Xenon height sensor and you're golden.

I've done fronts on mine and it's really simple to change them.
Just make sure you don't kill your Xenon height sensor and you're golden.

I think I will search the tube when I'm home as I wouldn't even know where to begin! Just the rears need doing at the moment.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/changing-rear-dampers.83229/

Not sure what the torque setting is for the top of the shock absorber but the lower fixing where it connects to the droplink is 110nm (bolt 19 on the picture)...

Rear sus s3

Thank you both very useful! I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced all mine the other week on the drive with the car on axle stands and am in the middle of taking the front struts out again as the powerflex top mount bushes I was using were too harsh for the roads I drive on.

Its not difficult as long as you have the right tools and patience. Hub spreader for the front makes it 1000 times easier and you can get one off amazon or make your own.

With the rear shocks when putting the whole lot back together, I found it was a little difficult aligning the hole in the bush at the bottom of the strut, the hole in the lower drop link and the hole in the hub itself for the bolt to go through. Its easiest if you undo the drop link from the rear ARB as then you have much more control over alignment and there is less chance of tightening the bolt up at the incorrect angle and cross threading it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask as I have recently done, and am in the process of doing, the fronts again.

I replaced all mine the other week on the drive with the car on axle stands and am in the middle of taking the front struts out again as the powerflex top mount bushes I was using were too harsh for the roads I drive on.

Its not difficult as long as you have the right tools and patience. Hub spreader for the front makes it 1000 times easier and you can get one off amazon or make your own.

With the rear shocks when putting the whole lot back together, I found it was a little difficult aligning the hole in the bush at the bottom of the strut, the hole in the lower drop link and the hole in the hub itself for the bolt to go through. Its easiest if you undo the drop link from the rear ARB as then you have much more control over alignment and there is less chance of tightening the bolt up at the incorrect angle and cross threading it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask as I have recently done, and am in the process of doing, the fronts again.

Cheers for the advice. Going to try and tackle it this weekend

Reactions: SHUk
d9468e7422d82349274d39352132be3f.jpg
one down!! Really easy to do!!

Reactions: CHEZ and S3Imola_Alex