1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark Active Member Team Scuba Audi A4

Just wanted to let others know, I had a tyre change today (just fronts for now - Christmas is coming...) and thought I'd warn others who might be approaching similar wear or mileage - 34k miles - about the state I found the inside edges of the fronts (see pic). Both were like this. Very hard to spot with the wheels so tight in the arch and the front spoiler so low. 80% of the tyre is still above the wear indicator, it's just this inside edge that seems to have completely disintegrated. It looks almost like someone's taken a grinder to the edge, so much so I had a good look around the arch and suspension to see if I could spot signs of rubbing - I've only ever seen this kind of wear on cars with extreme "Barry Boy" negative camber. Another reason for me bringing it up is that a colleague has had an almost identical wear issue on his A4 he's just picked up with 30k on the clock, similar spec (but Avant) with the same Hankooks. I can put a bit of feathering down to alignment but nothing of this scale?

Rears show no such issues so far - and I don't think they will.

Please check yours, especially if you have the 19in Hankooks.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0195.jpg

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Filipão

Filipão Member Audi S4

Have you checked toe out?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Surprised you couldn't feel that when cornering. I had a similar issue with a Passat I had that was lowered with a good amount of camber on the wheels. It scrubbed the insides of the tyre like that but it wasn't as bad as that and you could feel it when cornering.
    34K miles for a front set of tyres is very good. Can't imagine you would have got much further without having an issue.

T-800 likes this.
  5. davidbir

davidbir Member

My 17” Hankooks in the front are nearly on the limit after only 17k / 2yrs. I’ll be changing them for Michelin’s, never been happy with them.

6. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Mine is going in for it's service soon so I'll get some depth reading. But after two years of urban driving they look fine to me.
    Comparing tyre wear is a little difficult as you would need to have the same cars that are driven in the exact same way under the same driving conditions. No good comparing a diesel that is driven around town with a petrol either as the diesel will put more weight on the front tyres..

7. f1nny

f1nny Active Member Team Tango Audi A4 Saloon S-line owners group Manual

SMI77 likes this.
  8. BigAardvaark

It looks almost identical doesn't it. I'm due a service shortly and will deffo be flagging this up with them.

9. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly Active Member

thats some mileage - i am on 16,000 and will need them replaced shortly

10. SMI77

SMI77 Australia Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

So just why is this a different thread?? Makes it hard when trying to follow about the same subject....just saying

11. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro Sportback S tronic MQB Platform

Some RS3 FL cars have suffered similar with the Pirelli R02 fronts.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. BigAardvaark

Because I didn't know about it?

Maybe an admin can merge

14. f1nny

f1nny Active Member Team Tango Audi A4 Saloon S-line owners group Manual

The other thread is actually a slight different topic that’s about the difference in tyre tread depths.

It’s mentioned later on in the thread by someone else that they have had an issue with their tyres wearing out on the inside, similar to the tyres on here.

I thought it would be a informative to make the OP aware of a similar occurrence as they might or might not be related.

15. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

I had a Mk4 Mondeo that wore out the inside of the tyres in a very similar fashion, but in less than 7k miles. I, obviously, complained to the dealership but was given some **** and bull story about speed humps, yet this happened to many owners. But 34k miles for front tyres is very good for any car these days.