Track/Hillclimb A3 1.8t

On the whole yes, I would.

Sadly though, Powerflex don't do an offset bush for the front wishbone to increase caster.

I think the extra degree of caster gained is of more benefit than the rear bush being in a slightly harder grade of Poly.

Thanks for the help prawn much appreciated. We will definately be getting all lcr running gear now.
I think the charity hill climb that anyone can do over here is around June time so would like to have the suspension steering rack lcr front end and arb etc ready for that. Then aim for roll cage and and possibly diff for track day at loheac in September. After that will be upgrading to 17 inch wheels which will then have some decent brakes put on ready for the power upgrades in 2015. My goal I to make it so that by mid 2015 we have a reliable 350 bhp ready for a full season.

I have ordered those camber plates and put in a good word for you, i presume they are your sponsors. :D

They are indeed :) Cheers Tim. at 1/3rd of the cost of GC or KW equivalents, I've been really impressed. I managed to break one bearing once on the most rediculous rim destroying crater you've ever seen, and Robert at SP sent out a whole new top half of the mount, as well as a spare bearing, so I'd have a spare to take to events.

Their english isn't always perfect at the moment, but their customer service has been absolutely top notch.

Depending on your handling preferences, with the LCR wishbones, caster bushes, and these top mounts, you'll have either a combined max of 2.6 degrees neg camber and 9.5 degrees caster, or if you use the mounts to max out one of the other, 3 degrees of neg camber (with subsequantly around 8.8-9 degrees caster) or up to 10 degrees caster (with camber around 1.8 neg)

I run mine mid way for a combined max increase of both, and have the toe set parallel. It wears tyres fantastically, and tyre temps are very even too.

Reactions: Timmy96
Here are links to the videos of the hill-climb earlier then expected had a free min or two for the first time in forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB6hLhBnlQw&feature=youtu.be (this is me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MplgmFEPVQ&feature=youtu.be (My Dad)

We drove my dads 2.0l Zetec powered Fisher Fury. It weighs around 600kg and has 210bhp, we also did the sprint the day before which is a quarter mile in 13 seconds, crossing the line at just over 100mph

The hill climb was the third time i had driven the car with this setup sprint being the second the day before (drastically different to the previous time i had driven it)

Enjoy

Reactions: s3dave
Will upload some photos tomorrow of todays work.

Reactions: Prawn and Sandra
Managed to do some work on the car yesterday, had some ups and downs.

Old spark plug outs, ready for the new ones. :)
WP 20140329 001

Started stripping down the wiring more, to reduce some weight. I will completely thin out the wiring when the ac is removed.
WP 20140329 002

Ripped the front passenger seat out and yet again stripped some more wiring out.
WP 20140329 004

Either i'm really strong or that dipstick tube had seen better days.
WP 20140329 006

Thought i should post a photo of ONE of Nick_sheep's dailys.
AltAjN Y Kd1BIIVdtGXQpEW4JxvXlc8vCjUPK tHYue6C1

And then my soon to be daily...when i pass my test. -.-
WP 20140330 001

Will have some more updates in the next few weeks and hopefully start moving this project a bit faster.

Micra won't be around long after you buy my green Defender off me Tim . And we get you driving the Audi

Thats not good enough!!! Hhmmpphhh!!!
What are you waiting for? Anything exciting?

Whats the plan for getting to 350hp?

GT28rs for quick spool?
Whats the plan for Tuning? Flash tune or standalone

Wishbones have arrived and will be ordering our kw variant 3's in the next week. Also top mounts should be here soon. Cambelt kit should also be here soon with shorter ancillary belt so we can get rid of the air con and Tim can finish off the thinning of wiring loom, also baffled sump and new dipstick tube (Because Tim broke the other one) will be here soon too.

Going to try and get hold of a six speed box along with lcr hubs and drive shafts in the next few weeks too. We are on one of those rolling budgets will buy stuff when funds allow.

I am planning on a tfsi hybrid like prawns because I would like the smoother power delivery. (Will help massively on hillclimbs) but am open to suggestions or if anyone is coming up with something new to try.

We will get this custom mapped for exactly how we want it to perform and hopefully make it variable for track or hill.

So much work to do, but very excited to get this project moving!

Man you guys are going for it. Can you just cut wires out?

Yeh we are going all out, for the wiring I'm just stripping back the wiring loom and trying to separate the ones we do need from the ones we don't need then cut them, should hopefully loose alot of weight.

02M gearbox should be in transit on Monday. What clutch would people recommend needing around 350-400bhp and pos around same kind of torque figures prob a bit lower. Don't want to have to change the clutch each time we up the power.

Still waiting for camber plates and spark plugs, once the spark plugs are here we can get the air con emptied then removed. By that point hopefully the shorter auxiliary belt, the cam belt and baffled sump will have arrived.

What sump u going for? Very interesting project. Apparently a lot of weight in redundant wires in these when stripped

Its the forge baffled sump, yeh we are going for a track and hillclimb race car basically, we want it to be variable between the two.

Subscribed. Tracking a car really interests me, even though I've no intention of doing it (yet ;) ) d
Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Good luck with the build :icon_thumright:

Callum.

So what do these do? Just camber adjustment?

You can adjust the camber and also the castor slightly

Camber and caster Daz, the mounts rotate within the strut to dial in what you want.

If you look at the angle I have mine set at in this pic, they are increasing camber and caster:

Ok im sure im thick here but camber and toe i get. Whats caster?or is that another word for toe?
Very interested in this thread guys!!

I put slightly should have had slightly Or massively in prawns case. Showing of that filter again. Do our pics load up properly for you guys?

Its very hard to explain castor, you'll probably be better off google-ing it.

Just did thanks. I think i get it. Is it to do with the angel of the suspension coming down top to bottom? So when you turn in you put an angle on the wheel which stays flatter? Or something lol

Play some forza 4 that will explain

Reactions: MIGGZ and Timmy96
It's the rearward angle of the strut when viewed from the side.

So if you drew a line through the top-mount, and the bottom ball joint, then viewed it from the side, the angle it is from vertical is the caster angle.

More caster gives heavier steering, but a more responsive turn in, and in your/our cars case, more grip too.

It's all to do with the relationship between caster and another angle called king-pin-inclination, (or KPI for short). KPI is basically the same as caster, but it's the angle when viewed from the front, rather than the side.

A3s (and most cars) have quite a high KPI, because the strut has to clear the tyre, the trouble with this is that when you steer, the top of the wheel ends up pushed outwards because of the KPI. Adding caster counteracts this on the outside wheel helping grip levels.

Next few weeks? Ahhh man we cant wait that long!! No problems i hope?

Sorry dude, we are waiting on parts arriving, they take ages to ship over here! :/