The longer I own it, the more questions I have...

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I wonder can anyone shed some light on/answer the following...

1. When I start the car (S4) from cold, it idles very high (but not unevenly, it's very smooth) for about a minute before settling down. The revs also immediately drop to normal if I put it in D

2. Can you select the next track from the steering wheel controls without having to click-scroll-click?

3. How long does your S4 take to get to operating temperature (90 on dash gauge)?

4. High beam assist: Do you find it a bit... crap?

Cheers.

I can only answer the first one, yes starts and runs smoothly at 1450 > 1650 RPM for probably a minute or less - hope that does not annoy any bearing surfaces, though probably gets the oil moving around quicker!

1. When I start the car (S4) from cold, it idles very high (but not unevenly, it's very smooth) for about a minute before settling down. The revs also immediately drop to normal if I put it in D

My S5 does it too, but then drops to 750 and sounds less stable.

2. Can you select the next track from the steering wheel controls without having to click-scroll-click?

No, you have to scroll and click or use MMI in the album art cover mode

3. How long does your S4 take to get to operating temperature (90 on dash gauge)?
Water temps heat up much faster than oil temp, almost twice as quick, so don't use this as operating temp for ragging. On average oil temps take 7-10 minutes to reach full operating temps dependent on outdoor temp

4. High beam assist: Do you find it a bit... crap?

No idea, didn't spec it and hearing that glad I didn't!

1. Mine does the same, rum4mo's reasoning is probably on the money.

2. Not found a way yet.

3. Mine seems to get there pretty quick within 5 minutes after plodding down my speed bump ridden estate!

4. Can't comment as I don't have that option.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm rather granny-ish with the car warren, like you said about the oil. I don't give it any beans for about 15min. I've noticed that in the afternoon with an external temp of about 20-25, the waiter temp is at 90 in 3min. It worries me a bit as I've only driven diesels for the past decade and they warm up when you've arrived at your destination.
EDIT: I just read on another forum (for TTRS owners) that their cars idle high to warm up the cats and O2 sensors for emissions.

I found the high beam thing brilliant last night, worked perfectly. But on dual carriageways it doesn't react nearly quick enough. I know it can see the car coming towards me as I can see it and the camera is in the interior mirror, so it should react. For me, unless it works (almost) all the time it's not worth it. Luckily I can override it.

Question 2 - what a balls up, it means I use the wheel controls for volume or to tell the lady what I want, nothing else.

You don't think that we should be letting the fast idle finish before pulling away do you? I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about it in the manual.

Reactions: warren_S5
You don't think that we should be letting the fast idle finish before pulling away do you? I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about it in the manual.

Nah, I'd imagine it just helps lift the oil up to the head and buil oil pressure so you should be fine.

Question 2 - what a balls up, it means I use the wheel controls for volume or to tell the lady what I want, nothing else.

It's not a great distance or effort to use your left hand to nudge the center console volume knob :)

The button is a jog control for the volume, it can be depressed to mute/pause the sound but it also moves latterally so you can pull it towards you or away from you (towards the passenger) to skip tracks. Holding it down latterally fast forwards or rewinds depending on which way you push it.

I use it more than the steering controls as I don't use my left hand for anything (s-tronic).

Sorry but I missed the question about the coolant temperature getting up to 90C quickly, yes mine does that, though I've read somewhere that Audi did try to slightly increase the normal engine running temperature to help guard against, or at least "do something" to help reduce coking up of the inlet valve area, Audi in USA have been handing out long warranties (time/distance) to keep people "on side" over this issue on the 3.0TFSI engine - another worry! At home, I find that I am just getting back into my car after closing the garage door (not fitted closer yet!), by the time the revs have dropped back to normal. At work it is just a bit like my old B5 Passat 2.8 V6 4Motion in as much as there is very little need to use the throttle initially while in the car park. Nowadays, I'd be thinking about changing the thermostat if any of my (petrol) cars did not warm-up quickly.

Thanks rum4mo, I wasn't too worried, but just wants to check about the warm up... I'm too used to diesels!

Opelfruit, what button are you on about? None of mine go sideways or anything?

Thanks rum4mo, I wasn't too worried, but just wants to check about the warm up... I'm too used to diesels!

Opelfruit, what button are you on about? None of mine go sideways or anything?

MMI

It's the power button to switch the MMI of and on. It also controls media (and voice for nav) volume, skips tracks, pauses media etc