Sweet turbo ciouuu ciouuu

Marek196c

Gilera Runner / A3 Sportback
Reaction score
Hi everyone, last times I was just looking for turbos etc for my lovely bkd 140pd.
I know that from factory one (GT1749vk if remember well) can go up to 170hp.
But changing it with gt2256vk or 2260vk I can go 200+hp. Then I know that my original Injectors are up to 215hp +/-. Then I heard about hybrids darkdevelopements kits etc...
So I got few questions:
1) by hybrid we mean outfit of eg. GT1749 and internals of GT2256?
2) What I will need other than cartridge of gt2256, vacuum lifter, ring with blades (the ones that usually clogging), and oil pipe and new down-pipe (probably 3"), and re-map need to do it?
3) somebody did it already? If yes what about engine life itself? How it support mod? (thinking to do around 200-210hp letting injectors get a bit of reserve)
4) what about M.O.T. after mod?
Thanks in advance for reply.

I have done a pd170 with a gtb2056vk- plenty turbo for that engine ! Don't go any bigger as the engine will produce less power and more smoke !

3" downpipe, s3 style solid intercooler, silicone hoses and much, much more !

As Chris said you need to match the turbo size with power you are trying to achieve. If 210-215 bhp is your target you don't need anything bigger than a GTB2056VK . A hybrid GTB1749 will get you to around 210-215 bhp as well. You can't convert a standard turbo yourself just by changing the CHRA the compressor cover needs machining for a larger compressor wheel.
There are many people selling hybrid GT1749 turbos. You might want to look at the clutch as well as quite often this needs replacing or upgrading when increasing the power as much as you are. MOT isn't as issue as long as the map is good and it doesn't smoke.

In fact I was opted for gtb2056vk but if you say that gtb1749 is also an option and due to turbo lag I will look for it. About intercooler and pipework, the standard ones shouldn't be enough? I mean my standard intercooler is as whole front section (radiator). About clutch I got The new schacs kit done last year that should take up to 400nm of torque w/o problems.

There is some mismatching nomenclature in your turbos, there is no gtb2256vk that I know of also the gtb1749vk is quite different from what I suggested: gtb1749vk. All these gtb series turbos are far from plug and play but they are very, very good turbos nevertheless !

ok, but the hybrid one or one from bmn engine (that always should be gtb1749 with all manifold) shouldn't be as plug and play?
Yes, in fact I was about 2056 no 2256. Is quite easy to lost urself with those numbers 2056, 2060 etc... xD
About M.O.T. actually on my original I got a quite bit of smoke on accelleration but is actually doing short travels so can't warm enough to burn properly (at least I think). Other question is durability itself of engine after getting it to 200+hp, should I change something else doing that power or not really (obviously I know that more often need to do service alike 7k miles and I confirm that things will consume a bit faster)?
Because on original one that I know doing only remap (if all ok with car) should get around 170hp but is limit of actual turbo.

You need a solid alloy intercooler-I have fitted the s3 replica to a a3 quattro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
I've got stock turbo (gt1749va) hybridized on my BKD, having 205hp 410Nm+ with stock clutch piping intercooler downpipe etc etc for 1 and a half year, totally fine daily driver till now :))
The more mods you do further (intake, exhaust...), they will increase combustion efficiency making car less smoky, a bit more power.
Basically with every GTB turbo you will overflow stock injectors.

Ok. So @Keram you got only send your one to make it hybrid and remapped without any other upgrade (clutch, piping, intercooler, etc..) right?
Where did you send your turbo to labour and how much you payed for it? (If I can ask you that)

I've got stock turbo (gt1749va) hybridized on my BKD, having 205hp 410Nm+ with stock clutch piping intercooler downpipe etc etc for 1 and a half year, totally fine daily driver till now :))
The more mods you do further (intake, exhaust...), they will increase combustion efficiency making car less smoky, a bit more power.
Basically with every GTB turbo you will overflow stock injectors.
Basically every gt1749va turbo that I have seen being hybridised had a pd150 cartridge, nothing bad about it but the housings don't flow as well as the gt1749vb + the change is small for the return. I also heard that the hybrids are not performing well and the boost is difficult to control- heard it from the horses mouth ! As I said for the expense I would go with a gtb series turbo or a pd150 turbo (change manifold over) and leave it there. If you want even the gtb1749vc will work with a bit of Fetling...

Basically every gt1749va turbo that I have seen being hybridised had a pd150 cartridge, nothing bad about it but the housings don't flow as well as the gt1749vb + the change is small for the return. I also heard that the hybrids are not performing well and the boost is difficult to control- heard it from the horses mouth ! As I said for the expense I would go with a gtb series turbo or a pd150 turbo (change manifold over) and leave it there. If you want even the gtb1749vc will work with a bit of Fetling...
For me at that moment fast plug and play was a key, as I was doing everything by myself and didn't have spare car to drive. Yes, most probably even with the smallest GTB you will get better overall results but it all ends up on costs.
As for my car, after a bit of time I managed to get stable boost and totally happy having more horses with less smoke compared to basic stage1 remap.

Reactions: Marek196c
Ok guys so seen about the budget and its going too far. I mean only turbo is around 1K + feed pipe, fresh oil oil filter etc... another 200£ then remap around 300£ (rollers). So £1,500+ for 100hp for me are too much. Unless I will found some deal or used one I will let you know.
BTW thanks everybody 4 help.

Hi guys another question, because of opportunity to get an bmn turbo with manifold. it fits on bkd? (it seem to be the same manifold) someone know how much power I can get from it or is the same one that in bkd?

Hi guys, after a bit of searching I found a quite good deal, but before I wanted to ask you if anyone tried hybrid turbos from precision turbo services (based in birmingham)?

Ok, a little update, got a turbo xD from Turbo-Shop (based in Manchester) is a billet one based on gt1794va (or as everybody calling it gt1749va), on the week should get the downpipe, oil feed line, gaskets etc...