Stage 2+/stage 3 clutch options

@HHS3 when is yours been fitted mate?

Whenever my stock clutch goes mate which will be some point this year I imagine as it's at 61K now and I do about 7K a year. Plus I've been at stage 2 since August 2016 and was previously stage 1 March-August 2016.

Fair to say I got a little trigger happy and bought mine a tad too early, not sure what my reasoning was, think I scared myself into thinking that the price was going to increase by the time I actually needed it haha! It would be going on now if I could afford the parts to go stage 2+ as well but I need to pay off debts first, so the latter won't be happening until sometime later next year at the earliest unfortunately.

Thanks @HHS3, I've emailed Walter and had a reply already!

A there any preference/recommendation for SMF - steel or aluminium?

Cheers

Glad to hear, I found that Walter very was helpful.

As S3Alex has said, Steel over Aluminium all day everyday. It's bulletbroof, only weighs slightly more and doesn't rattle as much in comparison. Everyone on here running running Spec clutches have all gone for the Steel flywheel.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and S3Alex
@HHS3 haha! Im the same mate, I worry about things that abit away yet lol (car related anyway)

Mines going to rtech for stage2+ next month, im going to ask Niki to map it fairly conservative/linear torque wise to give my oem clutch a chance lol..but i know it will need doing at some point this year

I also run the steel spec smf at stage 2+ Alex's took a beating torque wise and lasted 4yrs so not sure how long a spec 3+ will last running 370ft lb

Reactions: kash_v
@HHS3 haha! Im the same mate, I worry about things that abit away yet lol (car related anyway)

Mines going to rtech for stage2+ next month, im going to ask Niki to map it fairly conservative/linear torque wise to give my oem clutch a chance lol..but i know it will need doing at some point this year

Easily done, I don't take much convincing from myself! Patience is now something I'm desperately trying to work on for my bank accounts sake lol.

Nice one bet you're looking forward to that, I'll also be going to R-Tech for my Stage 2+ map when the day comes! Yeah that makes sense, then they can easily crank it up once you've got your uprated clutch fitted. Make sure to post your results, I've seen nothing but good reviews of them on here.

Reactions: kash_v
What's the difference between r techs map and the generic revo and Apr maps?
Is it just the way they developed and suited to your single car instead of a preset map put on?
Performance wise what's the differenece in performance to revo/Apr?
Have they got a dyno up there?

A lot of people are going for the custom maps now. I've got AKS 5mins away so very convenient for me to be going down the revo route.

Revo and APR are pretty similar top end power figures. APR perhaps pips it marginally at the top end and a bit in the midrange - I have raced APR tuned S3's and certainly between those two cars there was nothing to separate us right up to silly speeds. Generic maps like Revo and APR depend on lots of things, like what are upgrades you have fitted.

The good thing about going to a custom mapper like Niki from R-tech is that if you have specific requirements like how you want to torque to be fed in or if you want to have specific switchable map requirements for different fuels - including race fuel and 95. If you want a cut boost map to save the clutch. And generally speaking if you asked for a balls to the wall map to get the most out of it then the car will likely be a better end product than any of the off the shelf maps. Especially so if you are using specific hardware like TTE420/480 which most generic tuners don't have a specific map for (APR do for TTE420 I believe).

Reactions: Max Read and kash_v