Stage 1 on new S3, how soon?

PaulAr

S3 (8P)
Reaction score
How soon can a new S3 be mapped?

How long is the run in, ie after how many miles before it can be driven enthusiasticaly?

cheers
Paul

I've got a grand total of 160 miles on my S3 now. It's killing me shifting up at 3.5-4k!! Thats where it seems the fun is begining!! I have a Bluefin unit that I plan on getting the S3 map for at some point but I think I will wait maybe 3000 miles (about 10 months). I want to enjoy the car as standard for a while first.

Soonest I have had one done was at 85 miles, basically on the day of collection but I then followed the usual run in process for the next 1,000 miles, basically not over stressing the engine and predominantly changing at 3.5k. I hav since bought the same car back - now 2 years old and 13,500 miles, it uses no oil and runs perfectly.

Go on Paul, do it straight away, watch the miles go past 1,000 and the woo hoo !!

In standard form the S3 is going to feel a bit lethargic in comparison to your 320D, as you well know :)

Do it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As most have stated above, 1K.

If I recall, your going DSG right? Don't put DSG into Manual and use flappy paddles for the first 1K of miles in case you get the gear change wrong (change down too early for example) and hit high revs.. just a word of caution \ advice.

When do you get your car?

Do it before you drive it out of the dealership car-park :rock:

If I recall, your going DSG right? Don't put DSG into Manual and use flappy paddles for the first 1K of miles in case you get the gear change wrong (change down too early for example) and hit high revs.. just a word of caution \ advice.

Dont think this would be an issue. S-tronic is much more durable than any manual gearbox and electronics thats in it would not let you harm it unless there is a mechanical/material issue from new.

Hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking the thread but as I've never owned a car from brand new and I may be being a bit blonde here, why be so cautious which restricting the rev range when changing gear etc?

Collecting my new 8P3 in just over a week and ideally want it mapped ASAP!

Its not an engine thing Paul. The worst you can do with a new engine is labouir it up hills in 6th for example but as you have DSG its going to be in the optimum gear any way. Its really about getting the brake pads to sit square on the disc's and the same with the clutches. I remapped at 2k miles and have just had my 9k mile service and its running better each day. Strangely the Audi service manager said i should get it mapped as soon as possible..... I didnt tell him he was 7k miles too late .:)

Reactions: RedDejavu

2 weeks mate.

cheers
Paul

Jen
Years ago engineering Torrance's were far wider than they are now. engines could be built and all the moving parts would be tight.. For example if you have a shaft that spins in a hole and its tight then you will have metal to metal contact, this causes wear via friction and heat. ideally you want just enough gap between a static and moving part to get a film of oil in there. this stops metal to metal contact, reduces wear and heat. While parts bed in, ie the shaft in the hole is wearing in so it spins freely, you would need to keep the revs down to stop it over heating and wearing badly because there was no oil film between the parts. That was called the running in period. These days the fit of parts is much better as is the quality of metals and bearing surfaces so running in is less of an issue. Basically the accuracy of hole diameters and shaft diameters are far more accurate so consequently moving parts these days are already at the optimum fit so running in takes little time and is really just a precaution.
Obviously that is a bit simplistic but it sort of makes it easier to understand.
Parts like brake pads still need to bedded in to the disc'd though. imagine if the disc pad face does not touch the disc squarely you might have only half the pad doing the breaking ..... that half will over heat which could damage the disc or pad so really just dont do anything extreme for 1k miles like stand on the brakes as hard as you can from 100mph and so on.
Drive normally and all will bed in nicely and last much longer.

Drive normal lol you've not met me and you know we doing tuning for a living alongside Juicy! With the miles I'm going to be driving it's going to probably take me over a yr to do a 1k :(

Understand about brake pads as I had mine replaced on my last S3.....ah well just have to see how it goes.

Hey Paul we'll have to collect together ;)

Last edited:
a year is less than 3 miles a day....you dont need a map at all :) Seriously though if thats true that means your car will never get up to temp etc. Pick car up thurs....Take yourselves down to Cornwall for a dirty weekend ...car run in...remap Tues... Job done.

Drive normal lol you've not met me and you know we doing tuning for a living alongside Juicy! With the miles I'm going to be driving it's going to probably take me over a yr to do a 1k :(

Understand about brake pads as I had mine replaced on my last S3.....ah well just have to see how it goes.

Hey Paul we'll have to collect together ;)

There might be 3 of us there, another member here is collecting an almost identical car to mine on the same day. Looks like Harrogate AUDI owe you guys some comission:friends:

Are you doing your own map or subbing out?

Lol Paddy perhaps I under estimated then! I'd love to be driving it everyday so we are looking to shuffle the cars around. Not a bad idea though going to Cornwall as my parents live there for Easter so looks like some miles will be going on as I hadn't even entertained the idea :D

Mini ASN meet then Paul sounds like it's on......As for a map we do have modules for this 2 litre engine, but the last time we tried it was a PITA with quite a few connections so if anything we shall more than likely go with Shark

Last edited: