Speeding ticket

Richard Appleyard

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wanting a bit of info. Come home from work tonight and the lovely police force have sent me a letter informing me I have been caught speeding. I've been caught doing 47mph in a 40mph zone. This is the first time I've ever been done in 12 years. My question is this, is there an option of just paying the fine and having no points put on and not having to do the course I've read about?
Thanks. Rich

If they have offered the course, then you have two options:

1. Pay the fine and take the 3 points.
2. Pay for the course, no points.

There is no pay and no points option, unfortunately.

Reactions: Ghost
There must'eve been a photo at least, if not a video to prove you were driving that fast. Unless stopped with "hairdryer" (laser speed gun).

Yes, as above RAF_57 said, only they can offer it to you as a speed awareness course without pints, that you'll need to pay for.

Loong 3-4 hours of booring stuff (so I heard) but for some can be useful.

You still need to inform your insurance company about the fact. Otherwise, like with small incidents, they may cancel you policy then and there, if not informed them and they'r to find out somehow.

I'd say your borderline for prosecution , the rule of thumb used by the police is 10% of the speed limit which was 40mph plus three so bang on 47. anything over that & your nicked

If they have offered you the option of a course and you select that option you will have to attend and stay till the end. If you don't turn up or don't complete the course then you will be prosecuted and end up with the points. Take the option of the course and avoid the points. They are.t that bad, I did one a few years ago and you might even learn a thing or too.

Sure you have to admit liability before they send you the option (if available in your area) of a course or points.

Is the letter a " Notice of intended prosecution " ?

I did a course three years ago & didn't find it boring in fact the time flew by & i actually learnt a few things & at the end the chap giving the course told us all there was NO need to tell your ins co & there was no way they could find out from the police.

I wouldnt be telling insurance unless you were formally prosecuted and had points endorsed on your license

I'd say your borderline for prosecution , the rule of thumb used by the police is 10% of the speed limit which was 40mph plus three so bang on 47. anything over that & your nicked

I was caught exceeding 40mph on a dual carriageway in Essex, although it didn't say what speed I was doing. I received an offer of fine/points or driver awareness course. I'm happy to take the course (from memory it costs about the same as the fine anyway) as you avoid the points and definitely don't have to declare it to your insurance company.

I accepted liability as i didn't have a choice. I was in my work van and only me is allowed to drive it so had no choice. I paid £95 and did the 4 hour course. Not as bad as i thought. Some eye opening info to be honest. I had a vigilante women on my table who would have argued black is white and white is black which was quite funny. She kept getting blocked by the instructor.

I had a truck driver on mine who did the same, at the coffee break the instructor suggested he left the course and took the fine/points instead. After that he shut up and let us all get on with the training.