Should have listned to the pros

S38pkyle-ing

Reaction score
So I’ve been looking at replacing the suspension in my 2010 s3, and lower the front end in the process.

I bagged some bilstein b8 rear shocks off here and Then some eibach pro front springs from dpm performance.

I heard from dpm you need to shorten bilstein b8 front shocks by 20mm to fit the springs onto the front *HOWEVER* the company I got them from *AND* bilstein HQ themselves both said this wasn’t required....

Me being me should have listened to dpm but didn’t :/ and now I have a set of shocks and springs that looks like this ....
6DB63F45 B525 4564 B0F5 E9340366EC38

I am not sure i understand the problem ? The shock will just compress that 20mm when fitted ?

I am not sure i understand the problem ? The shock will just compress that 20mm when fitted ?

But when I put the top mount on there’s a huge gap between the spring and mount...surely it shouldn’t be like that...it would mean putting them on the car then lining the spring up to the mount when lowering the car off the jacks? And every time I raised the car the spring would be lose again?? If that makes sense ha

Can you send the set to DPM for them to be shortened?

Last edited:
The B8 is just a shorter version of the B6 isn’t it ? I have Bilstein b8 with H&R on my S3 and have had no issues

That top plate doesnt look like its sitting down properly, the only pictures i have seen have it over hanging that tapered section.

I've fit a load of shocks and springs standard and lowered etc and looking at your pictures it looks to me as if you either have the wrong shock or wrong sized spring for the car.

Never have i needed to fanny around shortening shock absorbers.

Them front springs look like Linear as well rather than progressive wound ?

The part number on those front shocks is for an A3 not S3. There doesn’t seem to be a B8 shock listed in the Bilstein catalogue for S3.

I recently fitted an Eibach pro kit to my A3 S-Line, at the same time a mate fitted a pro kit to his S3 and we had the Eibach springs side by side. The A3 springs are about a third longer and have an extra coil in the spring, but felt easier to compress. Strangely the ride height is almost the same on the cars, within a few mm.

I think an A3 Eibach spring would sit fine on that shock, but there too long for S3 Eibach springs.

Reactions: dp_motley
I fitted an eibach pro kit to my S3 last week and its dropped it a good 25mm at the front with no issues and i certainly didnt chop the shock down 25mm )

Reactions: dp_motley
I think one of the lads with a blue S3 had this years ago, may have been @mechanic69 maybe ask what the outcome was?
It was Murray. Muzza something was his name, sprint blue sportback. I think he sent it back to Bilstein to get them shortened.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Muzza80 is his name. My 2010 S3 sportback progress thread! Is the thread title.

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing
Yeah I got the b8s with eibach springs and they needed shortening by 30mm to fit. With the stock b8 the spring wasn’t even clamped, it just rattled loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing
Ah so you and Murray had the same problem, I remember him writing about it on his thread mate.

Ah so you and Murray had the same problem, I remember him writing about it on his thread mate.

Yeah they were really good tho, took them back and shortened them at no cost to me not even postage, quality firm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing and jamiepaton5
Cheers lads, I’m gona ring bilstein tomorrow and get them to shorten them, hopefully I can send them all the bits... springs, shocks and mounts. Let them shorten them and put Em all together

Reactions: samuelh_888