Sachs organic clutch just installed. Thoughts

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
hi. So after remapping my clutch was slipping so I upgraded to the Sachs organic clutch and also replaced the oem luk flywheel. I picked it up off my mechanic today and I have noticed the following....

1. The clutch pedal is giving my left thigh a serious workout.
2. The biting point is now about an inch from the floor.
3. The gear change from 1st to second is pretty clunky. (Could be me just not used to the new biting point)

I'm just wondering if anyone else with this setup has the same and will it get a bit softer over time.
Obviously I'm going to bed it in nice and easy for a couple of hundred miles.

Is it the OEM set of sachs or the aftermarket capable of 15% more power?
There is also available on the market the sachs racing kit for the OEM dual mass flywheel!

So you must have the 240mm disc!
I have the same one in mine....it's a bit heavier about 15-20% on the pedal, but it's indestructible!!
After 43000 km with K04 and about 490Nm the OEM flywheel is suffering.....If you do not launch the car frequently.... the only problem you will have is the heavier pedal and nothing else apart from some noise at idle.

I bought the single mass flywheel kit from sachs and will install it in the week....I won't have to worry about the DMF but the rattle at idle will increase significantly.

It's one of the best set of clutch you can install to your car!!!

You have to drive for the first 300 km in the city with a lot of gear changes in order to smooth the grab on gear chane but it will be close to normal in the end

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it will smooth out. I'll resist the urge to boost for now

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it will smooth out. I'll resist the urge to boost for now

Give it a good few hundred miles before hoofing it and the clutch will serve well.

The organic clutches don’t tolerate burnouts or abuse especially in the first miles.

Mine did well until around 440lbs.

So you must have the 240mm disc!
I have the same one in mine....it's a bit heavier about 15-20% on the pedal, but it's indestructible!!
After 43000 km with K04 and about 490Nm the OEM flywheel is suffering.....If you do not launch the car frequently.... the only problem you will have is the heavier pedal and nothing else apart from some noise at idle.

I bought the single mass flywheel kit from sachs and will install it in the week....I won't have to worry about the DMF but the rattle at idle will increase significantly.

It's one of the best set of clutch you can install to your car!!!

You have to drive for the first 300 km in the city with a lot of gear changes in order to smooth the grab on gear chane but it will be close to normal in the end
You won't have to worry about the DMF but you'll have other things to wordy about later on..it's similar to loba/sachs setup..

Reactions: Dikonou
Do you have the part numbers from the boxes? There is a bedding in period for the performance clutch, I had one in my focus st they do give you good leg muscles. The one I had for my st was rated to 550nm which was right on the limit for the car.

Well in my case it was getting stuck in 1st and 2nd gear, impossible to shift above 6000 rpm, it was beautiful first 20000-30000 km then it got bad. I have loba/sachs combo which has sachs clutch and pressure plate and loba smf.
Hope their smf set doesn't suffer from same issues.
Don't want to scare you, just sharing something few of us have experienced with smf setups.

Is it possible that once it's bedded in the pedal with soften up a bit? It's very hard
It will a bit.

Last edited:
My pedal was always firm, what's your engine code mate and I'll look it up for you. There are a few variants depending on engine code.

This is the kit I bought.
http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/product...agen-audi-seat-skoda-02q-6-speed-gearbox.html

The reason I bought this kit is because a lot of people who have fitted it say it as close to oem as you will get but I'm finding it the opposite

Very hard pedal.. I'll get used to that
It's the almost instant biting point and the 'on or off' clutch action that's getting me down.
I know I still have to bed it in but I can't imagine it changing too much. And I'm guessing there's no way to adjust the biting point as it's hydraulic

I emailed the company I bought it off and they say the pedal should be stiffer but the biting point should be more or less the same so I dunno

http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/product...agen-audi-seat-skoda-02q-6-speed-gearbox.html

The reason I bought this kit is because a lot of people who have fitted it say it as close to oem as you will get but I'm finding it the opposite

It's the almost instant biting point and the 'on or off' clutch action that's getting me down.
I know I still have to bed it in but I can't imagine it changing too much. And I'm guessing there's no way to adjust the biting point as it's hydraulic

I emailed the company I bought it off and they say the pedal should be stiffer but the biting point should be more or less the same so I dunno

What I found with this clutch and DMF was:

Hard pedal,but not a real workout.
Easy engagement with good feel.
Does need bedding in.

Your experience sounds very different to that.....the actual "feel" of the clutch I thought was pretty much like the stock one,but with a heavier pedal,and certainly no issues with bite point or feel.

It’s a shame to hear about this. Just had a remap. Clutch hasn’t gone yet touch wood, was hoping for an oem feel but I don’t think it exists

Other folks seem to be ok with this setup. Maybe my original clutch was overly soft or something. It's the biting point which I'm trying to get used to. I was on to Sachs and they said 6-700miles to bed it in

What I found with this clutch and DMF was:

Hard pedal,but not a real workout.
Easy engagement with good feel.
Does need bedding in.

Your experience sounds very different to that.....the actual "feel" of the clutch I thought was pretty much like the stock one,but with a heavier pedal,and certainly no issues with bite point or feel.
I agree with you. Same experience with smf. Feel is similar to stock but harder pedal, and definitely no on-off action.

Hmmm. I wonder if my kit is faulty. It was fitted by an Audi tech so I doubt if was fitted wrong

I agree with you. Same experience with smf. Feel is similar to stock but harder pedal, and definitely no on-off action.
Doesn’t smf feel different to dmf though?

It's similar pedal feel (at least i think, it's sachs performance clutch, not the paddle clutch that has on-off engagement).
It is harder that's for sure and that's because of stronger pressure plate as far as i know. There's chatter and vibration from smf but it's a compromise for a lasting solution.

Reactions: kash_v and Pazzer
No, it shouldn't be. As i said that one should be similar to stock, 4 paddle one is on-off.
There is always a chance you got the bad one but generally they are good, tried and tested.
Did you change the release bearing too?

Reactions: S3Alex
Yeah I did. I'm gonna just run it in and see how it goes. Unfortunately there's no one else around here with the same setup for me to compare. When reversing and taking off in 1st it's hard to get the right throttle/clutch pedal balance and tends to be jittery. It's beautiful in higher gears

What you describe should not happen in my opinion.
I have the exact same set as you. Harder feel at the pedal but nothing more....The jittery part will decrease in time and with some more miles driven...

What you describe should not happen in my opinion.
I have the exact same set as you. Harder feel at the pedal but nothing more....The jittery part will decrease in time and with some more miles driven...
And how is your biting point?

Just a bit lower than the OEM but with 4 years of driving it now feels normal.....

Christ. I just don't know. And does your setup have nice smooth gear changes.. no "on" or "off" clutch feel.

I've emailed the supplier with my issues so I'll wait to hear what they say.

Yeap smooth and almost OEM feel....You should consider the fact that with your ( and mine ) current setup the little springs in the OEM organic disc are gone....so all the vibrations are ''going'' in the DMF. So some rough feel will be present at gear changes but not enough to say that something is not working properly....I hope I'm expressing it correctly...

I'll continue to run it in for a while. I emailed clutch stop and they replied:

"As mentioned, I've checked the parts you have been sent and all the part numbers are correct.

The only other way for us to know for certain would be to get the vehicle here. I doubt that is possible as you are in Ireland.

There is a possibility that the gearbox input shaft may need shimming "

The product details in the link lists organic and sintered friction plates have you got any pics of it prior to fitting. If it's a sintered plate it's not good in an everyday car and clutch is on or off nothing in between

i ordered the organic. this is the only pic i took of it
CEfVUdU.jpg

The product details in the link lists organic and sintered friction plates have you got any pics of it prior to fitting. If it's a sintered plate it's not good in an everyday car and clutch is on or off nothing in between
As you can see it all came in the one box all joined together. The pressure plate has the right part number however I didn't check the clutch disc part number. I hope they didn't send me the sintered one by accident

As you can see it all came in the one box all joined together. The pressure plate has the right part number however I didn't check the clutch disc part number. I hope they didn't send me the sintered one by accident
Looking at the kit they build it themselves as this combo isn't available throught Sachs and going by the pic it looks like organic friction plate, my only thought is maybe it's needs bleeding again or pilot error while fitting. I'll send you a pm

If you have the boxes please check if the clutch bearing is made in Germany or Made in China......

A bit of an update.
I’ve done 1k miles on the new clutch. It is good and strong. 2nd to 6th it pulls hard.

I’ve got used to the stiffer pedal.

My only gripes are 1. The low biting point... and i have to push the pedal right to the floor to change gear,

2. If I floor it in 1st and whack the clutch in to change to second, the car kind of jolts.. I’m sure that’s not right

A bit of an update.
I’ve done 1k miles on the new clutch. It is good and strong. 2nd to 6th it pulls hard.

I’ve got used to the stiffer pedal.

My only gripes are 1. The low biting point... and i have to push the pedal right to the floor to change gear,

2. If I floor it in 1st and whack the clutch in to change to second, the car kind of jolts.. I’m sure that’s not right

Those two things will improve with more miles on it, give it a few thousand more miles and the bite won't be so low.